Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Wood rack cover

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

I've burned wood for 25 of the last 30 years. I've tried various methods
of protection and what I found best is nothing. Wood, tarps, sheeting,
fiberglass, tin roofing are all a PITA in one way or another. Nothing
works well enough for me. We get about 48" of snow on a typical winter,
but rarely do I have snow covered wood to bring in. It falls right off
the logs when you handle them, unlike sheets of plywood.

What's the weather going to be like today for you, Ed? You know it will
probably be different here.

We get snow here in the winter, but the climate is warmer, so we get more
rain. And rain that then changes to ice. So, wood sitting out does tend to
get ice covered.

Good wood that is dried will burn, and the snow and ice will fall off of it.
It will even split and burn wet, and you can see that the water only
penetrates a little.

Still, for me, and where I live, after spending four winters here now, I am
electing to build a rack to hold my wood now that I have built a 25' x 12'
metal awning on that end of the garage that will keep the wood nice and dry.

Just like the weather is different, the reasons people may want to build a
small structure or rack or whatever varies. Some want to for aesthetic
reasons, some to just get it out of the mud and into a move convenient
location. There is no right answer to this, and everyone has different
weather.

Steve