dean

Default What can be used to cover wood apart from tarps?

I was thinking about a roll of roofing felt or plastic, but not sure
how UV proof they are. I used one roll of HD roof underlay and it was
the perfect size, but its like $50 a roll and I don't know how long it
will last in the light.

SQLit

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was thinking about a roll of roofing felt or plastic, but not sure
how UV proof they are. I used one roll of HD roof underlay and it was
the perfect size, but its like $50 a roll and I don't know how long it
will last in the light.

Underlayment, tarpaper, felt will last a few months. After the first rain it
will start to curl and degrade.
most home centers sell a flat roofing roll as well. That will last a long
time if put down correctly. The rolls look like shingles on one side.

wkearney99

What're you covering and from what?
dean

Covering a load of firewood. I keep it 2' wide and its currently around
200' long in total. So it has to be cheaper rather than costly.

Colbyt

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Covering a load of firewood. I keep it 2' wide and its currently around
200' long in total. So it has to be cheaper rather than costly.

Buy a roll of 4 mil plastic at the BORG sold as 10x100. You will get at
least one season from it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Covering a load of firewood. I keep it 2' wide and its currently around
200' long in total. So it has to be cheaper rather than costly.

Nothing. It need not be covered and it will not absorb water. The bark
offers good protection. If you are concerned about some of it getting snow
covered, I'd run a 2' wide piece of plastic wrap. I've burned wood for 24
years and tried different covers, found no covering to be just as good.

Bob

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message . ..

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Covering a load of firewood. I keep it 2' wide and its currently around
200' long in total. So it has to be cheaper rather than costly.

Nothing. It need not be covered and it will not absorb water. The bark
offers good protection. If you are concerned about some of it getting snow
covered, I'd run a 2' wide piece of plastic wrap. I've burned wood for 24
years and tried different covers, found no covering to be just as good.

That depends on where you live. Here in seattle, wood rots pretty quick if stored uncovered.

If you use plastic, I've found that black survives longer in the sun than clear.

Try to find someone getting rid of steel roofing panels, or those corrugated fiberglass panels. Nail holes can be sealed
with caulk. You could put a short length of used gutter under the joints to divert leakage. You do have to tie or weight
them down to avoid wind problems.

Bob

dean

Edwin, in which state do you live?

wkearney99

Buy a roll of 4 mil plastic at the BORG sold as 10x100. You will get at
least one season from it.

Yep, a roll of plastic sheet is probably your best bet for that sort of
setup.

Harry K

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Covering a load of firewood. I keep it 2' wide and its currently around
200' long in total. So it has to be cheaper rather than costly.

Nothing. It need not be covered and it will not absorb water. The bark
offers good protection. If you are concerned about some of it getting snow
covered, I'd run a 2' wide piece of plastic wrap. I've burned wood for 24
years and tried different covers, found no covering to be just as good.

Same here. But then I am in the dry eastern part of WA. Our wet
season (fairly wet) runs Nov-Mar. Back in the day when I started
heating with wood I read a book on the subject of making, storing,
using wood. It also says that covering is not needed. Wood only
-absorbs- water through the end grain so if you are using off an
unprotected pile only the first layer will be wet and that only
externally. The wood I burn each year has been in the unprotected
stack for a minimum of 2 years and does not show rot. Always at least
one rick of it has been stored under the eave of my woodshed so it gets
all the runoff from the roof.

If covering is wanted, then any plastic will do. You don't need a
'permanent' type. Get one season and toss it. And for sure only cover
the top of the pile, leave the sides open.

Harry K

Harry K