Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Anyone here tried to dry wood with the rack in a clothes dryer?

I know it sounds crazy but othere than getting kicked out of the house by
SWMBO....................I don't see why it would not work. I did the math
and and it looks like it would run for $3.74 per hour @ my electric rates. I
am not talking about a lot of wood here, just a few pieces to turn or maybe
sheet or two of veneer. The stationary rack is about 24"long and 16" wide.
They kiln dry here for about 30 cents a board foot, but won't fool with a
few pen blanks or similiar. Just curious.....cuz I hate to be the first fool
to try this and tear up the dryer or worse......burn down the house! It was
time for an upgrade and we did the HE4 washer and dryer from kenmore. They
sat here about a year due to deaths in the family & you name it. Got them in
last weekend and thought about this. All comments pro and con welcome.
Really hoping to hear from Arch on this one as he says Turn To Safety. :-)
Thanks Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

sheet or two of veneer. The stationary rack is about 24"long and 16" wide.
They kiln dry here for about 30 cents a board foot, but won't fool with a
few pen blanks or similiar. Just curious.....cuz I hate to be the first fool

Never seen a tumble dryer with a stationary rack (seems like what you
must be talking about) - I have seen "drying closets" intended for
ski-wear, etc. You should read up a bit on drying/running a kiln - it's
not simply a matter of dump hot and dry at the wood. If you do that,
you'll mostly end up with firewood, due to various types of degrade
(cracks, splits, etc).

If your stuff fits, a brand-old microwave might be free, and a brand-new
one ranges from $50-100 depending on size. Microwave drying is more-like
microwave-assisted air drying, but the same would be true of using a
dryer, and the dryer does not have the microwave's helpful ability to
penetrate the wood a bit, rather than just heating at the surface.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks, Yes this new dryer has a stationary rack(for sweaters,teddy, bears
you name it, there words not mine) that sits between the front and rear of
the dryer and the drum rotates around it.The rack has not been used at all
so far. I have a book called the conversion and seasoning of wood and it is
very informative. I kinda think you are right in that it will dry too fast,
but this new dryer has more controls and buttons on it than the spacelab.
:-) It can dry very slowly which will reduce amperage and cost or blow dry
stuff till it burns. I figured the power usage on full blown maximum
capacity. My brother gave me some red mulberry that is dripping wet. I have
already sealed both ends with green wood sealer. I may cut a bowl blank out
of it, seal all six sides with green wood sealer and pop it in there. This
will keep it from drying too fast but the moisture will seep out of the ends
thru the sealer.It is already doing this so I know the sealer slows down the
exiting of moisture but does not stop it. Maybe have to use the delicates
cycle.
:-) I don't have a moisture meter but I do have a nice digital scale that
reads per 1/4 ounce. Might be able to weigh and see the difference. If all
goes well then buy a moisture meter. I will let you all know if any green
wood sealer gets on my wife's blouses. :-)
Lyndell

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
I know it sounds crazy but othere than getting kicked out of the house by
SWMBO....................I don't see why it would not work.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/ Is a good place to start. The search feature
will return all kinds of information, which will be more meaningful _after_
you read Ch 3 of
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm to find out
the basics of wood and water.

Having once dried willow in SWMBO's microwave, I would not personally risk a
dryer. But, as you'll see, warming the air lowers the relative humidity and
exhausting warm, moist air allows cooler, dry air to come in and be warmed.
Kilns work this way.

You can also let the ocean of air dilute and disperse, though I would favor
a microwave. YOUR microwave, not hers. Longer and lower settings are what
I've used.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dripping wet wood is a hoot to turn. Rough the bowl now while the mulberry
rains in the shop. Then apply the wood sealer and let it dry
sloooowwwwly. Life is too short to try to fast dry nice wood.

That said, nope, never tried to make a drier into a kiln.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"George" wrote in message
et...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't. But I've seen some ways that do work. An old refer with a 40
watt bulb (the owner said anything larger cooked the wood). Oh ya, he
also had a couple holes in the side near the top for ventilation. I've
also seen a standard fruit dryer used. As has been noted the key is SLOW
drying

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

goes well then buy a moisture meter. I will let you all know if any green
wood sealer gets on my wife's blouses. :-)

That sort of potential domestic disharmony is no joking matter, and
makes the 40 watt bulb in an insulated box (or the dedicated shop
microwave) look like a very sensible investment.

I would also suggest (as others have) at least rough-turning to a
thick-walled state your bowl blanks - they dry a lot faster that way,
and are more prone to reshape/warp (which you'll turn off when finish
turning) rather than split (it's two small bowls - or perhaps a couple
of chessmen?...)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Lyndell, Sorry to disappoint, but I have no experience with drying
wood in a clothes dryer. I would guess that the risk of fire (from wood,
not spouse) would be minimum. Since shirts aren't set on fire, it's
unlikely that flitches would be.

Actually at our house we mostly dry our clothes outside on a clothes
line. None of the neighbors do, but I'm from the backwoods and there's
something about clean clothes flapping in the sunshine, even in the city
,,,,and even including underwear!

I "preserve" my green NIP, a trash tree hereabouts, with an occasional
soaking with LDD spray and dry it outside under a shade tree, on a rack
and covered with a tarp. The saying that as we grow older our toys get
smaller is true in my case. I'm mostly turning small objects on my
little Jet Mini or Vickmarc Vl100, so dry offcuts from a friendly
cabinet shop are my mainstays.

Patience is the secret ingredient in most timber drying, but I don't
have much of it to waste. Hope you aren't considering ironing your
blanks after removing from the clothes dryer. That might not be safe.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:47:28 -0500, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

[...]

Drying wood is tricky, a guessing game, almost impossible to do with
any accuracy without an instrument to measure the percent moisture
content. It takes a special know-how skill to dry wood. I prefer the
slow air-dry method, but I have been successful using a regular (200
degree or less) oven for smaller pieces. A clothes dryer might work
or it might dry the wood too fast, depending on the type of wood and
other factors.

I have turned wet wood but not without frustration. After some
suggestions and experimentation, I found that putting the turned piece
in a bag of sawdust immediately after turning slow the drying process
down enough to prevent splitting.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have dried several pieces of wood in the microwave. If they were
turned green and put in the microwave, they all warped. Some a
little, some a lot. Some looked neat, some were correctable back to
round.

To avoid a lot of fancy equipment, get an old (or cheapie) micro to
start with and a postal scale.

A couple of years ago I needed some deep bowls for candy dishes with
stands, but didn't want to use any of my good wood stash. They were
give away gifts, and I didn't get much for them.

I had a large 10" piece of ash that was given to me, and I cut the
diameter to 6 - 8" on all of the blanks, and wrote a control number on
them with a sharpie. I put three in at a time, and hit them for 2
minutes on high. Let them rest, then weighed them. I did this while
I was turning other things, and kept up a log of times and weights.
It worked great!

I knew to quit microwaving when there was no weight loss for two
different sessions. If the wood hissed or sizzled during the rest
time, I let it sit unitl it quit.

At the end of the experiement, I put all the blanks in two 5 gallon
buckets with a lid on it, and left it there for a couple of weeks.
When I pulled them open, they had lost a little more weight/moisture,
but no much. The point of leaving them alone for a couple of weeks
was to let the wood redistribure any remaining moisture.

This method works great, and is effiecient for these larger (6-8" wide
and the same length) pieces. But with something as small as a pen
blank, I would think you could micro one day and be turning in a
couple more.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

[...]

Nope...
Haven't tried drying clothes in a kiln, either..
Sorry, Lyndell... couldn't resist that..

We do, however, air dry our laundry..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

No Lyndell, it is certainly not true! Lori doesn't need to use a wash
board (tho we probably have one somewhere) or pound our dirty clothes
with a rock down by the river's edge. I got her a very nice used washing
machine 20 years ago! It was out on the curb and needed only a little
fixing. Thank Goodness she doesn't read my posts. I'd get no supper.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:38:43 -0500, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

I will let you all know if any green
wood sealer gets on my wife's blouses. :-)
Lyndell

Off Topic advice, my friend..
There are a LOT of trees in your area, but you only have ONE wife. (hopefully)

My experience over the last 30 years and 3 wives is that the song is true: "If
momma ain't happy, NOBODY's happy" ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:54:22 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I have turned wet wood but not without frustration. After some
suggestions and experimentation, I found that putting the turned piece
in a bag of sawdust immediately after turning slow the drying process
down enough to prevent splitting.

I've tried paper bags, plastic bags, saw dust, shavings from the wood, LDD,
etc., etc... most split anyway..

I love turning green wood, so I used to turn it very wet and very thin and let
it warp..
I think warping can enhance most bowls but never thought a crack did.. YMWV

(back in the days when wet wood was available to me, I sold several bowls that
looked like they were made for banana splits)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Dec 3, 10:47 am, mac davis wrote:

SNIP
I love turning green wood, so I used to turn it very wet and very thin and let
it warp..

Then you should turn something and put it in the microwave. Wanna see
some really quick warping and twisting? Turn and sand a green bowl,
and put it in the micro - you can watch it change through the window.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks to everyone who responded to this crazy plan. If I actually get up
the nerve to try this I will post the results. It looks like the concensus
is that a microwave is the way to go for small loads of wood.
Thanks again Lyndell

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
[...]

I must be a good guesser than, as I have very few splitting bowls.
And I turn green wood exclusively, at least the first time, return
when dry.
I've told "my way" several times before, but it seems like nobody
wants to hear it.
See if you can find any splits or cracks in those bowls, there are at
least 300 of them in there.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Drying wood is tricky, a guessing game, almost impossible to do with
any accuracy without an instrument to measure the percent moisture
content. It takes a special know-how skill to dry wood. I prefer the
slow air-dry method, but I have been successful using a regular (200
degree or less) oven for smaller pieces. A clothes dryer might work
or it might dry the wood too fast, depending on the type of wood and
other factors.

I have turned wet wood but not without frustration. After some
suggestions and experimentation, I found that putting the turned piece
in a bag of sawdust immediately after turning slow the drying process
down enough to prevent splitting.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Leo, as for me I was thinking out loud in general. I believe and practice
what you preach on turning green wood....letting it dry then finishing. I
occassionly get some rough sawn fresh wood and get in a bit of a hurry
because my work (job) schedule is so hectic. I think if I could justify it I
would build my own kiln. It is really good to see your pics again. I will
bookmark them this time around. Another problem for me is I run a
dehumidifier in my shop to reduce tool rusting and I think this causes more
splitting than in other shop. But thanks again for being a great source of
info here and I am sure elsewhere. :-)
Lyndell

wrote:
[...]
:-)
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:37:29 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 3, 10:47 am, mac davis wrote:

SNIP
I love turning green wood, so I used to turn it very wet and very thin and let
it warp..

Then you should turn something and put it in the microwave. Wanna see
some really quick warping and twisting? Turn and sand a green bowl,
and put it in the micro - you can watch it change through the window.

Robert

Wow.. instant gratification.. lol

When I had access to green wood, we had a LOT of it, so I was in no hurry...
Just let them stack up and go through them once in a while.. more fun turning
them than nuking them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Dec 3, 10:01 pm, "
wrote:
I must be a good guesser than, as I have very few splitting bowls.
And I turn green wood exclusively, at least the first time, return
when dry.
I've told "my way" several times before, but it seems like nobody
wants to hear it.
See if you can find any splits or cracks in those bowls, there are at
least 300 of them in there.

Leo - I would love to have the room to dedicate to simple air drying.
But with all my other woodworking and contracting equipment, there
just isn't any room.

Then too, there are our summers where the outside temps are around 103
for several (two summers ago 39 days in a row) with no rain. My green
forms split all over, even ones that were partially dry. Aggressive
drying for me isn't anything more than self defense.

I like the webpage you put up a lot. Unlike so many, it was easy on
the eyes, and got the point across quite well. Nice job!

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
[...]

Personally, I would lay the wood on an old towel on the rack. That
would keep end sealer out of the dryer and keep wood juices off the
rack also. Let us know what happens.

Don't try it with magnolia bowl blanks. I have been working on a few
and just letting them sit out in the shop more than two days causes
100% cracks. Paper bagging them within 2 days cuts the cracks down to
1 or 2%.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

To boldly go and watch Star Trek re-runs.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message

Leo - I would love to have the room to dedicate to simple air drying.
But with all my other woodworking and contracting equipment, there
just isn't any room.

Then too, there are our summers where the outside temps are around 103
for several (two summers ago 39 days in a row) with no rain. My green
forms split all over, even ones that were partially dry. Aggressive
drying for me isn't anything more than self defense.

It's not the heat, it's the relative humidity. You need to get a hygrometer
and seek out or create your own drying place. Fridges and light bulbs are
guesses just like bags and boxes unless you monitor them once in a while.
You have containers, use them, only use them with a sense of purpose and
control of conditions.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Several people have already mentioned that speed and heat are your enemy
when drying wood. Sawmill around here takes 7-9 days to kiln dry
softwoods (like basswood) and about 32 days to dry hardwoods (like oak).
I'm sure that they'd do it faster if they could. This sawmill uses
sawdust and bark to fuel its kilns and it sure could make a hotter fire
if they wanted to.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

Lyndell Thompson wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"spaco" wrote in message
Several people have already mentioned that speed and heat are your enemy
when drying wood. Sawmill around here takes 7-9 days to kiln dry
softwoods (like basswood) and about 32 days to dry hardwoods (like oak).
I'm sure that they'd do it faster if they could. This sawmill uses
sawdust and bark to fuel its kilns and it sure could make a hotter fire if
they wanted to.

Heat is not the enemy. Those who might think so are invited to read the
kiln schedules at http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/ . Doesn't matter how hot you
get if steam is only ~100C.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I got a couple of maple 4x4's a while back from a Maine mill that
specializes in figured maple and uses vacuum kilns. Four days to low
equlilibrium. Nice stuff but the inside is full of honeycomb from too fast a
drying time. I question if it was caused by rapic water loss or by stresses
in the wood. Likely both?

--

Lyndell Thompson wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I got a couple of maple 4x4's a while back from a Maine mill that
specializes in figured maple and uses vacuum kilns. Four days to low
equlilibrium. Nice stuff but the inside is full of honeycomb from too fast
a drying time. I question if it was caused by rapic water loss or by
stresses in the wood. Likely both?

Stress caused by too-rapid loss. Makes it difficult to get even drying. The
moisture takes the easy way out and leaves shrunken fiber, while other, less
accessible places are still expanded.

Haste makes waste?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote in message

(snip)

Haste makes waste?

Yep. Could not have said it better (and didn't).
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

I know it sounds crazy... I did the math
and and it looks like it would run for $3.74 per hour @ my electric rates.

I hate to be the first fool
to try this and tear up the dryer or worse......burn down the house!

I'm sure you're not the first fool to try it - it doesn't get hot enough
to burn the wood... just think of the quantity of kleenex and paper
money that goes through the dryer and doesn't burst into flames.

The dryer's purpose is to heat the clothing while it tumbles the load to
distribute the heat and vent the moisture-laden heated air out of the
machine. With your wood pieces, you don't need to tumble at all or vent
so aggressively. Both will waste money when the machine is used as a
kiln.

Try placing a thermometer on the rack in the dryer and run it for 5 or
10 minutes to see how hot it runs, then set your kitchen oven to the
same temp. You'll save money and wear'n'tear on the dryer motor.

Using either method, though, I think you'll find the rapid drying too
harsh for the wood to not show defects.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.