Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe Owen Lowe is offline

Default Anyone here tried to dry wood with the rack in a clothes dryer?

In article ,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

I know it sounds crazy... I did the math
and and it looks like it would run for $3.74 per hour @ my electric rates.

I hate to be the first fool
to try this and tear up the dryer or worse......burn down the house!

I'm sure you're not the first fool to try it - it doesn't get hot enough
to burn the wood... just think of the quantity of kleenex and paper
money that goes through the dryer and doesn't burst into flames.

The dryer's purpose is to heat the clothing while it tumbles the load to
distribute the heat and vent the moisture-laden heated air out of the
machine. With your wood pieces, you don't need to tumble at all or vent
so aggressively. Both will waste money when the machine is used as a
kiln.

Try placing a thermometer on the rack in the dryer and run it for 5 or
10 minutes to see how hot it runs, then set your kitchen oven to the
same temp. You'll save money and wear'n'tear on the dryer motor.

Using either method, though, I think you'll find the rapid drying too
harsh for the wood to not show defects.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.