Joseph Meehan

Default GE clothes dryer not hot

DaveC wrote:
This GE dryer (USA 240v model) has 4 heat settings: Hi, Medium, Low,
Fluff (no heat). It also has a moisture-monitoring setting ("More
Dry" and "Less Dry").

I presume the way 3 heat settings are accomplished is through the use
of 2 different wattage heater elements. For example, Low = 1000w
element; Medium = 1500w element; High = both elements.

There is now one heat setting: medium. All the settings of the heat
switch result in the same medium heat.

The filter screen is clean and the airflow out of the vent hose (I
disconnected it and checked the flow) is unchanged from a year ago
(the last time I remember checking it out). Mains voltage verified.
No overheating external connections.

How is it possible for the dryer to fail in a mode that results in
only medium heat?

Just trying to get a few ideas before opening it up.

GE model DBXR453ET3WW

Thanks,

Consider that your dryer is not just 240V it is 120-240V any element
can be running at 120V or 240V or 0V at any one time. It might also cycle,
but I don't think any do that to control the temp.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Appliance Repair Aid

DaveC wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I presume the way 3 heat settings are accomplished is through the use of 2
different wattage heater elements. For example, Low = 1000w element; Medium =
1500w element; High = both elements.

Close, 2 of the same wattage elements and usually a couple of different
thermostats.

There is now one heat setting: medium. All the settings of the heat switch
result in the same medium heat.

One of the two elements broken, element grounded are a couple of
possible trouble makers.

Some take apart helps....
http://www.applianceaid.com/take-apart.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/ge-dryers.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/grounded.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

James Sweet

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
DaveC wrote:
[...]

Dryer elements that I've seen have all been 240v, I also had a Kenmore dryer
that had separate button thermostats which cycled the element depending on
the temperature setting, I figured most dryers did it this way.

If you have two elements and are only getting medium then the low element is
not working, either it's burned out, the overtemp thermostat is tripped or
defective, or the switch is bad.

Steve Henderson

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
DaveC wrote:

[...]

pop the top and watch the heater coil when it's running... if it cycles
"off" more than "on" (mine did about 10 seconds on and 50 off during a
minutes, no matter which temp you set it to, then suspect a clogged
exhause (not the little flexible 4" pipe leading from the dryer to the
wall - but the REST of it - the part that goes from the wall behind the
dryer to the outside... mine was clogged almost shut... when I cleaned
it out, problem solved. Now the dryer can get enough airflow that it
doesn't overheat the thermostat quickly (which shuts off the element),.
CJT

Steve Henderson wrote:

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

DaveC wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I had the same thing happen with my gas dryer -- I think it's a
common problem, especially with long exhausts.

James Sweet

"DaveC" wrote in message
news.net...
Thus spake Steve Henderson:

pop the top and watch the heater coil when it's running... if it cycles
"off" more than "on" (mine did about 10 seconds on and 50 off during a
minutes, no matter which temp you set it to, then suspect a clogged
exhause (not the little flexible 4" pipe leading from the dryer to the
wall - but the REST of it - the part that goes from the wall behind the
dryer to the outside... mine was clogged almost shut... when I cleaned
it out, problem solved. Now the dryer can get enough airflow that it
doesn't overheat the thermostat quickly (which shuts off the element),.

When troubleshooting externally (I've not opened it up, yet), I

disconnected
the hose and felt the temperature of the air. It was only lukewarm,
unchanged, it seems, whether the hose is connected or not. Airflow is
maximum, I think. This rules out airflow blockage.

Did you try the suggestions we already gave you? Are both elements
themselves ok? Are the thermostats closing? Is power getting to them?

Hang a clothesline, save energy and money, and quit whining.-Jitney

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hang a clothesline, save energy and money, and quit whining.-Jitney

That's not permitted in most neighborhoods these days, I guess it depends on
where you live. Not only that, if I tried it in my area the trees would ****
sap all over the clothes and ruin them before they even got dry.

That's not permitted in most neighborhoods these days, I guess it
depends on
where you live.(snip)

Amazing how we give up freedom without even noticing, isn't it?

Not only that, if I tried it in my area the trees would ****
sap all over the clothes and ruin them before they even got dry.(snip)

How is it that people managed to dry clothes before automatic dryers
were invented?-Jitney

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
That's not permitted in most neighborhoods these days, I guess it
depends on
where you live.(snip)

Amazing how we give up freedom without even noticing, isn't it?

Not only that, if I tried it in my area the trees would ****
sap all over the clothes and ruin them before they even got dry.(snip)

How is it that people managed to dry clothes before automatic dryers
were invented?-Jitney

Well in the case of families in this area they had several acres of rural
land and a sizeable portion of it was cleared for a back yard and field. Now
days land in this area is far too expensive for that and you're lucky to
have much of a yard at all and some trees for privacy. It's the price to pay
to live in a desireable area with a dense population.

Doesn't matter to anyway, I've never had to pay money for a clothes dryer
and have always been able to keep them running with minimal effort. The cost
of running one is trivial compared to all the other electrical crap in my
house. I was just trying to help the original poster.

That's fine. I live in the Southwestern U.S. desert, and poeple could
dry their clothes here in 15-20 minutes on the clothesline. Many want
to do so, but are prevented by the blockfhurer facist HOA committes.
This, in the middle of an energy crisis. I thought we fought a war to
defeat fascism. Silly me.-Jitney

James Sweet wrote:

Hang a clothesline, save energy and money, and quit whining.-Jitney

That's not permitted in most neighborhoods these days, I guess it depends on
where you live. Not only that, if I tried it in my area the trees would ****
sap all over the clothes and ruin them before they even got dry.

How about a nice hoophouse, aka polytunnel? A large 5 cent/ft^2 piece of
4-year greenhouse polyethylene film stretched over $5 double-curved 1x3
bows on 4' centers...

Nick