Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DRYER DOESN'T DRY CLOTHES WELL

When clothes aren't drying, it's either the element or the spinning.

But, this is a new dryer.

Could it be the vent is clogged after 30 years? It vents into the
attic.

How do I clean it out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you mean it vents into the attic space itself not outside you need to
fix this issue and vent it outside. Venting inside will cause the wood
in the attic to rot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MRS. CLEAN wrote:
When clothes aren't drying, it's either the element or the spinning.

But, this is a new dryer.

Could it be the vent is clogged after 30 years? It vents into the
attic.

How do I clean it out?

Clean _what_ out? With whatever you have that works best. Like,
find any buildup, knock it loose (think flue-cleaning brush on
extension
wand), suck it up with shop-vac or such.

OTOH, cleaning out attic of 30-yrs-worth of lint and rot may be a
bulldozer job. Literally.

Lotsa luck,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" writes:

When clothes aren't drying, it's either the element or the spinning.

But, this is a new dryer.

Could it be the vent is clogged after 30 years?

Yes!

This is quite a fire hazard too by the way. One of the leading
causes of home fires if memory serves.

It vents into the attic.

That's trouble too, for different reasons. The moisture will not do
good things for you rattic. Might want to check your attic for
indications of mold, and get someone to extend that vent up to the
roof with a proper roof cap.

How do I clean it out?

There are kits with round brushes, and flexible shafts available at
appliance stores, big box home depot like places, wal mart too I
think.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

a good friend mistakedly vented a dryer into a otherwise unused
chimney. over time it plugged with lint and the dryer finally
overheated and shut down.

it took me 30 seconds to understand his trouble, I asked WAT were you
thinking?

he changed the vent and never dod understand the problem even after
looking at the totally lint plugged vent......

it should all go up thru the roof?

he just didnt get it

Posted to alt.home.repair

I installed a new dryer last year, and within months clothes weren't
drying properly, and then my laundry room started getting steamy...
turned out that the screen on the exterior vent was damaged, and
squirrels were travelling the whole length (appr. 30') of horizontal
venting and nesting right next to the dryer. Lucky for us (and the
squirrels) that we didn't have a fire.

with a chimney brush and a shop vac, we got it pretty clean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ok, I will buy a brush and shop vac for the vent clean up.

As far as the moisture goes, I figure the leaking heat ducts must keep
it pretty dry up there!!!!

I really am going to tape up the airducts at the connectors and clean
out the dryer vent.

But, it's a rental, so when I get roundtoit. All routine for a 30 yr
old house.

Thanks.

Todd H. wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" writes:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Oct 2006 05:30:14 -0700, "MRS. CLEAN"
wrote:

When clothes aren't drying, it's either the element or the spinning.

But, this is a new dryer.

Could it be the vent is clogged after 30 years? It vents into the
attic.

How do I clean it out?

This has so much wrong with it... this a troll?

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you need help with the best way to clean the dryer vent, including
tool suggestions go to
http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com/

Alisa LeSueur
Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician