Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What type of socket wrench should I get?

This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 23, 10:08*am, Jo wrote:
This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

Metric is far more useful for anything made after the mid-80's.

BTW rec.autos.tech is still somewhat active.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 10:16*am, N8N wrote:
On Dec 23, 10:08*am, Jo wrote:

This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

Metric is far more useful for anything made after the mid-80's.

BTW rec.autos.tech is still somewhat active.

nate

Personally I don't find I can survive without both. And there seems
to be no logic to where I might find one or the other. Even my 1990
boat which has an ordinary naturally aspirated chevy small block in it
I still run into specific bolts that are metric instead of american.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 9:08*am, Jo wrote:
This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

Get a kit that has both, he will need both, you can get 50-100 piece
kits cheap. I just got a 70 piece at HD for 50$a husky which is just
ok. If as you say he uses it alot be sure it has a lifetime warranty
but for quality Craftsman, Kobalt are a few but they cost bucks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 10:08*am, Jo wrote:
This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

SAE = inch
metric = mm

Two different ways of measuring things. SAE is used primarily in the
USA, while metric is used by every other country in the world. You
would learn this in elementary school.

Reality is to work on a modern vehicle in the USA, you need BOTH.

The government tried to switch us over to metric back in the
1970's-1980's and the people summarily rejected the idea. Since then
metric has been slowly creeping into everything mechanical.

It works out great for tool vendors, because you now need to own two
sets of wrenches instead of just one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo wrote the following:
This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

Pick up one of each. $15 each at Sears.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4278000P?mv=rr

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 11:40*am, wrote:
On Dec 23, 10:08*am, Jo wrote:

[...]

I didn't know what a "dog bone" socket wrench was, until this post.
It's a wrench with 4 sockets that swivel on each end, with no ratchet
capability.. One of the all in one wonder tools. IMO, not a tool I'd
want. When I want a socket, I almost always want a ratchet with it.
For what this non-ratching dog bone does, I'd just use a box wrench.

Instead of that, I'd look at other tools, like a combination wrench
that has a fine tooth ratchet built into the box end. That's a lot
more useful when working on cars, where the available space keeps
getting smaller. Like this:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEoQ8wIwBA#

No idea of the quality and not recommending that particular brand,
definitely a brand like Craftsman is going to cost more. I bought a
set of these that was both SAE and Metric at Costco a few years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-12-23, willshak wrote:

Pick up one of each. $15 each at Sears.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4278000P?mv=rr

Agreed.

I have two sets of Sears Craftsman deep sockets, one SAE, the other
metric. Usually $20 max for each, this time of year. Just got a
flier yesterday showing these prices ($19.95). This at your local
Sears store, so you don't have to wait for mail order or pay shipping.
If you only have $$ for one set, get metric. Metric will usually fit
SAE fasteners. Maybe jes a bit loose or a bit tight, but will still
fit. Merry Xmas

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 12:32*pm, willshak wrote:
Jo wrote the following:

This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

Pick up one of each. $15 each at Sears.http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4278000P?mv=rr

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Frankly these things strike me a pretty worthless for any automotive
work. They are huge and more often than not the unused sockets will
be in the way. Might be ok for assembling your kids xmas bicycle but
that's about it. There's a reason for individual socket sets and
wrenches. And a reason why the really good brands like snapon are a
lot thinner and smaller than the medium to poor quality brands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jo" wrote in message

This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

Why not ask service managers at the nearest Chev or Ford dealers?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo wrote the following:

[...]

Yes, I agree, but the OP asked about the dogbone wrenches.
You could not even remove a car battery with the dogbones. It's pretty
tight even with a box wrench..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

*If he is currently working on cars, he most likely has a collection of
tools that he needs already. I suggest a gift card to a tool store or maybe
Sears so he can pick out exactly what he wants. Those all-in-one tools have
limited use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

*If he is currently working on cars, he most likely has a collection of
tools that he needs already. I suggest a gift card to a tool store or
maybe Sears so he can pick out exactly what he wants. Those all-in-one
tools have limited use.

I second the gift card even better give him the cash and tell him to
buy what he wants wherever he wants. Christmas is way to commercialized.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:55:15 -0800, ransley wrote:
Get a kit that has both, he will need both, you can get 50-100 piece
kits cheap. I just got a 70 piece at HD for 50$a husky which is just ok.

I'd second that - I got a Husky one three years ago when I first moved
over to the US and I've thrown lots of stuff at it and not busted
anything yet. The two ratchets are starting to get a little sloppy now,
but that's not really a big deal as I can replace those and still have
all the sockets from the original kit.

Downsides to the kit I got were that it didn't include any adapters
between 1/4" and 3/8" parts, and the largest part is something like
7/8" (where some of the bits on my truck need a little larger) so I've
had to get those separately - but for the price I paid I can't really
complain. The socket bits themselves seem to be of good enough quality.

If as you say he uses it alot be sure it has a lifetime warranty

Yeah, someone mentioned that to me the other day, too; I'm not sure that
my set did/does - but then maybe they wouldn't replace a worn ratchet
under warranty anyway and I'd have to wait until it outright broke (at
which point I can't hang around waiting for a replacement in the mail)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2010 1:19 PM, John Grabowski wrote:

This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

*If he is currently working on cars, he most likely has a collection of
tools that he needs already. I suggest a gift card to a tool store or
maybe Sears so he can pick out exactly what he wants. Those all-in-one
tools have limited use.

Agree, just good marketing "look, this one wrench does everything and if
you call in the next 10 minutes..." but in reality it is a limited value
tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:08:55 -0800 (PST), Jo
wrote:

This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

As others have said, he probably won't even use those dogbones.
You really can't buy somebody tools unless you know what they already
have.
I second the gift card recommendation.
Sears.
I got $150 of that last year and I was in heaven.
Always tools there you want but don't have because you just didn't
want to spend the money.
With that gift card you don't have any choice but to buy tools.
Like I said - heaven.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:18:24 -0500, willshak
wrote:

Yes, I agree, but the OP asked about the dogbone wrenches.
You could not even remove a car battery with the dogbones. It's pretty
tight even with a box wrench..

I bought a battery stud wrench when they first came out.
Dedicated to that. Ratcheting, insulated handle.
Sears has them for about 10 bucks.
One of my kids must have swiped it.
Every time I see one at Sears I want to buy it, but don't.
I just get one of my kids to do the car work.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.google.com/products/catal...t:en-us:IE-Sea....

No idea of the quality and not recommending that particular brand,
definitely a brand like Craftsman is going to cost more. *I bought a
set of these that was both SAE and Metric at Costco a few years ago.- Hide quoted text -

4 sockets? and I thought it was slang for a wratchet and socket set.
Id say its worthless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, I agree, but the OP asked about the dogbone wrenches.
You could not even remove a car battery with the dogbones. It's pretty
tight even with a box wrench..

I bought a battery stud wrench when they first came out.
Dedicated to that. Ratcheting, insulated handle.
Sears has them for about 10 bucks.
One of my kids must have swiped it.

I feel your pain Vic.

First I tried stickers on my two home garage tool boxes:

http://www.decobugs.com/product_p/ds1004.htm

That didn't stop the kids, so I finally had to put a couple of small
combination locks on them. Those have worked, and now if a kid needs to
use a tool I "check it out" to him and make sure I ask for it back by
the end of the day.

Not likely to win me a Father of The Year award, but it's better than
finding the one socket I need isn't where it should be.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Every time I see one at Sears I want to buy it, but don't.
I just get one of my kids to do the car work.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-12-23, willshak wrote:

Yes, I agree, but the OP asked about the dogbone wrenches.

Uhmmm..... jes what, exactly, is a dogbone socket? I figured since
the guy had no clue about SAE and metric, he was talking out his ass
about the dogbone thing.

OK ....wait.... DOH! Sears make's 'em. Looks like gimmicky junk I
wouldn't waste my time, let alone money, on. Nevermind.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 12:34*pm, wrote:
On Dec 23, 11:40*am, wrote:

On Dec 23, 10:08*am, Jo wrote:

[...]

Actually, you can get similar tools that do have ratchet capability:

Google Black & Decker Ready Wrench or look he

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...LAID=692755293

This is an updated version of their original, which also ratcheted:

http://www.toolingonline.com/article...adyWrench-0001

I wouldn't own either of these. I picked up the new B&D model at Home
Depot the other day and put it right back down. Not only is it
grotesquely huge, it's ridiculously heavy.

Did you ever notice how all these new fangled tools show up in the
bins right after Thanksgiving? They're for all of those people who
don't understand tools and need a buy a gift for someone "handy".

At least the OP is doing a little research and not just grabbing one
of those crappy all-in-one tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-12-23, willshak wrote:

Yes, I agree, but the OP asked about the dogbone wrenches.

Uhmmm..... jes what, exactly, is a dogbone socket? I figured since
the guy had no clue about SAE and metric, he was talking out his ass
about the dogbone thing.

The OPs name is Jo. Sounds like a she to me.
OK ....wait.... DOH! Sears make's 'em. Looks like gimmicky junk I
wouldn't waste my time, let alone money, on. Nevermind.

nb

Funny, you agreed with me earlier on the dogbone wrenches at Sears. What
happened since then?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-12-24, willshak wrote:

Funny, you agreed with me earlier on the dogbone wrenches at Sears. What
happened since then?

I incorrectly assumed the OP was jes confused about the term "dogbone"
and meant regular sockets and I was providing info on them. I had no
idea there was actually a real tool by that name and that anyone would
actually buy such a useless implement, let alone produce one. shrug

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-12-23, willshak wrote:

Yes, I agree, but the OP asked about the dogbone wrenches.

Uhmmm..... jes what, exactly, is a dogbone socket? *I figured since
the guy had no clue about SAE and metric, he was talking out his ass
about the dogbone thing. *

The OPs name is Jo. *Sounds like a she to me.

OK ....wait.... DOH! *Sears make's 'em. *Looks like gimmicky junk I
wouldn't waste my time, let alone money, on. *Nevermind.

nb

Funny, you agreed with me earlier on the dogbone wrenches at Sears. What
happened since then?

It's definitely a girlie wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, I agree, but the OP asked about the dogbone wrenches.
You could not even remove a car battery with the dogbones. It's pretty
tight even with a box wrench..

I bought a battery stud wrench when they first came out.
Dedicated to that. Ratcheting, insulated handle.
Sears has them for about 10 bucks.
One of my kids must have swiped it.

I feel your pain Vic.

First I tried stickers on my two home garage tool boxes:

http://www.decobugs.com/product_p/ds1004.htm

That didn't stop the kids, so I finally had to put a couple of small
combination locks on them. Those have worked, and now if a kid needs to
use a tool I "check it out" to him and make sure I ask for it back by
the end of the day.

Not likely to win me a Father of The Year award, but it's better than
finding the one socket I need isn't where it should be.

Sounds like you found a solution!
It's only bothered me a couple times. Well, maybe a couple hundred.
What happened is one of my boys took up car/truck wrenching.
I didn't really care about him taking my tools, because he more than
made up for that by wrenching our cars better than I could.
He's paid back in work much more than the couple hundred bucks of hand
tools to put in his toolboxes. I never complained to him - much.
Now that he's "established" and probably has 2 of everything, I bought
a new big wrench set for myself.
But I hardly ever use it!
I'm slowly adding other tools.
I still miss some of my "disappeared" tools though, that battery
wrench being one.
Not I've needed it, but I just know I don't have it.
Probably miss my good pliers and channel locks more.
Some of those tools I bought 40 years ago when I was a packaging
machine mechanic, and my hands had grown to fit them.
Seems they were better quality than you can find now too.
Some anyway, like the pliers and a spring-loaded screwholder I had.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, it's amazing how some tools disappear only to show up 20 years
later in your kid's toolbox when they are working on your stuff to
help you out,
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
Probably miss my good pliers and channel locks more.
Some of those tools I bought 40 years ago when I was a packaging
machine mechanic, and my hands had grown to fit them.
Seems they were better quality than you can find now too.
Some anyway, like the pliers and a spring-loaded screwholder I had.

It does seem some tools were beter years ago. I have a couple of Chraftsman
ratchets that seem much beter than the ones made now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, I agree, but the OP asked about the dogbone wrenches.
You could not even remove a car battery with the dogbones. It's pretty
tight even with a box wrench..

I bought a battery stud wrench when they first came out.
Dedicated to that. Ratcheting, insulated handle.
Sears has them for about 10 bucks.
One of my kids must have swiped it.

My wife steals mine. even though I bought her her own tool kit and tool box.
I have, or should I say had, 3 tape measures that I can't find. I would
lock my toolbox, but then, she might lock her box. :-)

Every time I see one at Sears I want to buy it, but don't.
I just get one of my kids to do the car work.

--Vic

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-12-23, wrote:

Pick up one of each. $15 each at Sears.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4278000P?mv=rr

Agreed.

I have two sets of Sears Craftsman deep sockets, one SAE, the other
metric. Usually $20 max for each, this time of year. Just got a
flier yesterday showing these prices ($19.95). This at your local
Sears store, so you don't have to wait for mail order or pay shipping.
If you only have $$ for one set, get metric. Metric will usually fit
SAE fasteners. Maybe jes a bit loose or a bit tight, but will still
fit. Merry Xmas

nb

Not that this is pertinent to the original topic, but I find that most
sets (with handles) come with 12-point sockets, while unless you are
working on some really esoteric stuff (some German cars and/or
aftermarket high strength head/rod/main cap fasteners) the 6-point
sockets really are the right tool for the job.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-12-25, Nate Nagel wrote:

Not that this is pertinent to the original topic, but I find that most
sets (with handles) come with 12-point sockets, while unless you are
working on some really esoteric stuff (some German cars and/or
aftermarket high strength head/rod/main cap fasteners) the 6-point
sockets really are the right tool for the job.

Pros and cons to both 6 and 12 pt sockets. Twelve point are more
likely to round off a tight nut/bolt, but six point gives less access
(60deg arc versus 30deg arc). This can be improved by having a
ratchet handle with a finer toothed ratcheting mechanism. If rounding
highly torqued fasteners in a limited access area is a concern,
flank-drive sockets would probably be a better choice. The down side
to flank-drive sockets is their higher cost. Make yer choice and pay
yer money!

Merry Christmas

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2010 10:09 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2010-12-25, Nate wrote:

[...]

I believe even Craftsman and Husky sockets are currently made similar to
the Snap-On "flank drive" sockets, and at least Craftsman have been for
something like 15+ years now.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-12-25, Nate Nagel wrote:

I believe even Craftsman and Husky sockets are currently made similar to
the Snap-On "flank drive" sockets, and at least Craftsman have been for
something like 15+ years now.

Correct. Bonney invented the design and held the patent tightly till
it expired. I think Bonney made Snap-On's combo wrenches for many
years, but still didn't produce flank-drives for them. Now that the
patent has expired, most of the better tool companies offer some
variation of the flank drive. There are even flank-drive tubing
wrenches (open box), a great thing as those damn tubing connectors are
usually pretty soft. I've had an assorted collection of Bonney
flank-drive box-end wrenches and sockets for many years. The design is
brilliant and really works. They will grab rounded fasteners when no
others will.

(last resort: hammer and chisel)

nb

Thin profile socket/ratchet wrench needed eljainc Home Repair 7 May 14th 09 08:44 PM
how do you organize multiple socket wrench sets? Joe Home Repair 6 July 10th 08 10:23 PM
Ratchet socket wrench question Jack S Home Repair 7 June 3rd 07 03:31 AM
New type of wrench Arthur UK diy 70 May 25th 05 03:02 PM
chuck for a speeder socket wrench t Metalworking 10 May 3rd 05 11:32 AM