Posted to alt.home.repair
Fat Dumb & Happy Fat Dumb & Happy is offline

Default What type of socket wrench should I get?

John Grabowski wrote:

This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

*If he is currently working on cars, he most likely has a collection of
tools that he needs already. I suggest a gift card to a tool store or
maybe Sears so he can pick out exactly what he wants. Those all-in-one
tools have limited use.

I second the gift card even better give him the cash and tell him to
buy what he wants wherever he wants. Christmas is way to commercialized.