Default chuck for a speeder socket wrench

Is there a chuck that will fit on a speeder wrench to make it a de facto
bit and brace? B and B's are hard to come by, was trying to see if I
could make one of my speeders do double duty. Helpful when working on
fence posts way out in the pasture away from a drop cord, and don't need
recharging.

Tim
Tom

t wrote:

Is there a chuck that will fit on a speeder wrench to make it a de facto
bit and brace? B and B's are hard to come by, was trying to see if I
could make one of my speeders do double duty. Helpful when working on
fence posts way out in the pasture away from a drop cord, and don't need
recharging.

Tim

What about one of these?
http://www.atomindustries.com.au/chainsaw.html

Tom
RAM^3

"t" wrote in message
m...
Is there a chuck that will fit on a speeder wrench to make it a de facto
bit and brace? B and B's are hard to come by, was trying to see if I
could make one of my speeders do double duty. Helpful when working on
fence posts way out in the pasture away from a drop cord, and don't need
recharging.

Tim

For auger bits why not try
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...b=spe#tablink?

They also make a 3/8" drive variant for 1/3 the price of their 1/2" drive
item.

Ken Sterling

Is there a chuck that will fit on a speeder wrench to make it a de facto
bit and brace? B and B's are hard to come by, was trying to see if I
could make one of my speeders do double duty. Helpful when working on
fence posts way out in the pasture away from a drop cord, and don't need
recharging.

Tim

Couple of suggestions....
Get an adapter for your speeder wrench and weld the chuck to the
adapter so you can just pop on the chuck when you need it... that way
you still have the speeder wrench for other uses.
Secondly, go to some of your local "yard sales" and you probably will
find a brace laying on the table for a buck or two. They are very
expensive if bought new.
Ken.

Bugs

Old B&B's are as common as dirt at yard sales. They usually go for less
than $5. I think you would find that the speed wrench doesn't have
quite the torque or hand fit for doing much boring.
Bugs

Interesting

What about one of these?
http://www.atomindustries.com.au/chainsaw.html

Tom

not a bad idea.

i've been digging the bins at auction and antique houses, but most of
the braces are broken, haven't found any good ones, and the Scot in me
won't let me pay for a new one...

Couple of suggestions....
Get an adapter for your speeder wrench and weld the chuck to the
adapter so you can just pop on the chuck when you need it... that way
you still have the speeder wrench for other uses.
Secondly, go to some of your local "yard sales" and you probably will
find a brace laying on the table for a buck or two. They are very
expensive if bought new.
Ken.

Ron Bean

t writes:

Is there a chuck that will fit on a speeder wrench to make it a de facto
bit and brace? B and B's are hard to come by, was trying to see if I
could make one of my speeders do double duty. Helpful when working on
fence posts way out in the pasture away from a drop cord, and don't need
recharging.

I have a small chuck that has a 1/4" hex stub on the back of it.
It looks like it was made to plug into one of those quick-change
drill bit holders. It's only a 1/4" chuck, so probably smaller
than what you had in mind. It's marked "Jacobs MULTI-CRAFT USA".
I've never used it for anything.

You could probably have someone make an adapter that would fit a
regular chuck, but I agree with the guy who said a speeder handle
might not take as much torque as you'd like-- the ones I've seen
are made for speed, not torque.

Don Foreman

On Sun, 01 May 2005 15:59:45 GMT, t wrote:

not a bad idea.

i've been digging the bins at auction and antique houses, but most of
the braces are broken, haven't found any good ones, and the Scot in me
won't let me pay for a new one...

All you need is the chuck that accepts the tang on an auger bit. Saw
off the rest and weld a socket on it that will accept your speeder.

t wrote:
Is there a chuck that will fit on a speeder wrench to make it a de

facto
bit and brace? B and B's are hard to come by, was trying to see if

could make one of my speeders do double duty. Helpful when working

on
fence posts way out in the pasture away from a drop cord, and don't

need
recharging.

Tim

see:
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...oductID=106391

You might have to cut and paste

Was plastered on the back of a new catalog. As far as braces are
concerned, both the local Ace and True Value still have them, with
plastic furniture they were like $15. The bits are what costs. My dad
used them all the time for boring holes in walls for running house
electrical wiring and conduits, he claimed that it was a lot safer than
power drilling since he could stop immediately when he hit a pipe or
wire in the wall. With the proper bit, you could hook the wire through
a hole in the bit and fish it back through, too. Have a couple of
those, still.

Stan

Ken Sterling

t wrote:
[...]

Haven't checked for quite a while, but the *last* new brace I
purchased (good one, too) was about $48US. Ball bearings and all.
Ken.