Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default What type of socket wrench should I get?

On 2010-12-25, Nate wrote:

Not that this is pertinent to the original topic, but I find that most
sets (with handles) come with 12-point sockets, while unless you are
working on some really esoteric stuff (some German cars and/or
aftermarket high strength head/rod/main cap fasteners) the 6-point
sockets really are the right tool for the job.

Pros and cons to both 6 and 12 pt sockets. Twelve point are more
likely to round off a tight nut/bolt, but six point gives less access
(60deg arc versus 30deg arc). This can be improved by having a
ratchet handle with a finer toothed ratcheting mechanism. If rounding
highly torqued fasteners in a limited access area is a concern,
flank-drive sockets would probably be a better choice. The down side
to flank-drive sockets is their higher cost. Make yer choice and pay
yer money!

Merry Christmas

nb

I believe even Craftsman and Husky sockets are currently made similar to
the Snap-On "flank drive" sockets, and at least Craftsman have been for
something like 15+ years now.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.