Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ratchet socket wrench question

I saw a type of ratchet socket wrench that I haven't seen before.

It's a standard socket ratchet with a direction selector plus,,, at the end
of the wrench handle is a one inch rotating bar that you can turn, which
causes the wrench socket to turn.

In other words, if the nut or bolt is loose, you can turn the socket without
moving the wrench handle.

Anybody know what this type of wrench is called?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack S wrote:
I saw a type of ratchet socket wrench that I haven't seen before.

It's a standard socket ratchet with a direction selector plus,,, at the end
of the wrench handle is a one inch rotating bar that you can turn, which
causes the wrench socket to turn.

In other words, if the nut or bolt is loose, you can turn the socket without
moving the wrench handle.

Anybody know what this type of wrench is called?

Thanks

I don't know the name of that style of wrench, but if that "one inch
bar" sticks out very far it could become an annoyance in tight quarters.

My "garage" toolbox contains a set of three different size thin black
oxide finished steel disks with knurled edges which have (in order of
size) 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" square holes in their centers.

The idea is that you're supposed to put them on the wrench drive square
before you snap on a socket or extender bar. The disks are larger than
the wrench heads so you can "spin" the socket with your fingertips.

I think I've had them for about 30 years and I can't recall ever using
one of them.

Sears still sells them, so somebody must use them: G

http://tinyurl.com/3beorj

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Jack S wrote:

I saw a type of ratchet socket wrench that I haven't seen before.

It's a standard socket ratchet with a direction selector plus,,, at
the end of the wrench handle is a one inch rotating bar that you can
turn, which causes the wrench socket to turn.

In other words, if the nut or bolt is loose, you can turn the socket
without moving the wrench handle.

Anybody know what this type of wrench is called?

Thanks

I think it was sold under the name "sidewinder." I never tried one so I
don't know if it worked well or if it was a gimmick.

I don't know the name of that style of wrench, but if that "one inch
bar" sticks out very far it could become an annoyance in tight quarters.

My "garage" toolbox contains a set of three different size thin black
oxide finished steel disks with knurled edges which have (in order of
size) 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" square holes in their centers.

The idea is that you're supposed to put them on the wrench drive square
before you snap on a socket or extender bar. The disks are larger than
the wrench heads so you can "spin" the socket with your fingertips.

I think I've had them for about 30 years and I can't recall ever using
one of them.

Sears still sells them, so somebody must use them: G

http://tinyurl.com/3beorj

I've owned some ratchets that had that built into the back of the head.
I think they were some old S-K's that I got from my grandfather, or
maybe they were some of my yard sale finds. Certainly not any of the
new Crapsman ones

I like extensions that are knurled as well; once you break the nut loose
you can pop the ratchet off and use the extension like a screwdriver handle.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:13:12 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Jack S wrote:
I saw a type of ratchet socket wrench that I haven't seen before.

It's a standard socket ratchet with a direction selector plus,,, at the end
of the wrench handle is a one inch rotating bar that you can turn, which
causes the wrench socket to turn.

In other words, if the nut or bolt is loose, you can turn the socket without
moving the wrench handle.

Anybody know what this type of wrench is called?

Thanks

I don't know the name of that style of wrench, but if that "one inch
bar" sticks out very far it could become an annoyance in tight quarters.

I'm sure anyone who had one would also have a starndard ratchet.

HD has something like this for about 25 dollars. I don't remember a
bar at all, but maybe it was hard to twist so some added the bar.
Maybe HD too.

My "garage" toolbox contains a set of three different size thin black
oxide finished steel disks with knurled edges which have (in order of
size) 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" square holes in their centers.

The idea is that you're supposed to put them on the wrench drive square
before you snap on a socket or extender bar. The disks are larger than
the wrench heads so you can "spin" the socket with your fingertips.

I think I've had them for about 30 years and I can't recall ever using
one of them.

I have 3/8". Never used it.

But one day I might. I had a 67 Catalina with a 400 cid engine and I
couldn't get anything in to change the number 1 sparkplug, not even
the socket alone. I'm sure they made a socket for this purpose. I
just didn't have it. (I ended up removing the big cast iron AC
bracket and taking it to a shop to get a a piece cut out of it. to get
access to the plug.

Sears still sells them, so somebody must use them: G

http://tinyurl.com/3beorj

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 2, 5:20 pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:13:12 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

The idea is that you're supposed to put them on the wrench drive square
before you snap on a socket or extender bar. The disks are larger than
the wrench heads so you can "spin" the socket with your fingertips.

I think I've had them for about 30 years and I can't recall ever using
one of them.

I have 3/8". Never used it.

But one day I might. I had a 67 Catalina with a 400 cid engine and I
couldn't get anything in to change the number 1 sparkplug, not even
the socket alone. I'm sure they made a socket for this purpose. I
just didn't have it. (I ended up removing the big cast iron AC
bracket and taking it to a shop to get a a piece cut out of it. to get
access to the plug.

I had a '69 Charger w/ "only" the 383 and #8 on it was only accessible
w/ a "shorty" plug socket w/ the hex on the rear for a tappet-wrench
thin open-end wrench to turn about 1/32 of a revolution per
try...until I learned the "trick".

Shop foreman told me -- you set a jack under the flywheelhousing and
jack a couple of strokes -- then there's sufficient clearance for a
wobblehead...

This old guy and worked pits for "The King" in his earliest days w/
Mopar and was basically the font of all knowledge Mopar-related...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 2, 3:26 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Jack S wrote:

I've owned some ratchets that had that built into the back of the head.

I've got one of them as well--haven't used it (the knurl) in 30 years,
either...

I like extensions that are knurled as well; ---

I agree wholeheartedly there...

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/2/2007 4:13 PM Jeff Wisnia said the following:
Jack S wrote:
[...]

I have them too. Whenever I need one, I'm usually laying on the ground
under my truck. :-)

Sears still sells them, so somebody must use them: G

http://tinyurl.com/3beorj

Jeff

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 17:49:09 -0700, dpb wrote:

But one day I might. I had a 67 Catalina with a 400 cid engine and I
couldn't get anything in to change the number 1 sparkplug, not even
the socket alone. I'm sure they made a socket for this purpose. I
just didn't have it. (I ended up removing the big cast iron AC
bracket and taking it to a shop to get a a piece cut out of it. to get
access to the plug.

I had a '69 Charger w/ "only" the 383 and #8 on it was only accessible
w/ a "shorty" plug socket w/ the hex on the rear for a tappet-wrench

Maybe I needed a shorty socket too? At the time I knew a small
machine shop I could sort of use, even though I had no right to. I
was sort of scared everytime I went there, but this time the manager
of the shop took the part from me and cut it himself.

I only went there about once a year. I sort of wanted to do it
myself, but I was glad to get it done without being kicked out.

thin open-end wrench to turn about 1/32 of a revolution per
try...until I learned the "trick".

Shop foreman told me -- you set a jack under the flywheelhousing and
jack a couple of strokes -- then there's sufficient clearance for a
wobblehead...

This old guy and worked pits for "The King" in his earliest days w/
Mopar and was basically the font of all knowledge Mopar-related...

I need someone like that.

cordless impact wrench question J.Lef Home Repair 17 April 24th 07 01:50 AM
Impact Wrench Question J.Lef Home Repair 14 October 3rd 06 07:08 PM
Wrench question buke9 Metalworking 13 December 11th 05 03:00 AM
Lamp Socket Question Mud Home Repair 9 November 25th 05 05:16 AM
chuck for a speeder socket wrench t Metalworking 10 May 3rd 05 12:32 PM