Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default how do you organize multiple socket wrench sets?

I have bought or inherited over half a dozen socket wrench sets over
the years but I go through the same frustrating steps time after time
when trying to find the right wrench and socket for the job. Does
anyone have any unique ways over organizing these things to make it
efficient?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 6:01*pm, Joe wrote:
I have bought or inherited over half a dozen socket wrench sets over
the years but I go through the same frustrating steps time after time
when trying to find the right wrench and socket for the job. Does
anyone have any unique ways over organizing these things to make it
efficient?

I use socket rails to organize my ratchet sockets; 1/4", 3/8", 1/2"
drive, metric & imperial socket sizes; deep & standard sockets

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B0013...earsBrand=core

or go to www.mcmaster & search for

socket holders

once clipped onto the rails, the sockets can be placed on a shelf or
in a drawer

as for combination wrenches, I hang them from their box ends

cheers
Posted to alt.home.repair

I keep each socket wrench set in the case it came in. Then I have a tool box
with the label (sockets) for oversized sockets and extensions I have
purchased. So everything is in its case or in the tool box.

I also have other tool boxes labeled wrenches, screwdrivers/nut
drivers/allen wrenches, plumbing, electrical, cutting/drilling tools,
chainsaw, glues/sealants, etc.

This is great because I know where everything is. And if I need to go do
work somewhere, very easy to grab the tool boxes I will need and I know
everything is there.

"Joe" wrote in message
I have bought or inherited over half a dozen socket wrench sets over
the years but I go through the same frustrating steps time after time
when trying to find the right wrench and socket for the job. Does
anyone have any unique ways over organizing these things to make it
efficient?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Bill wrote:
I keep each socket wrench set in the case it came in. Then I have a tool box
with the label (sockets) for oversized sockets and extensions I have
purchased. So everything is in its case or in the tool box.

There ya' go...

Same idea here except I never bothered to label toolboxes as they're
each different and I know what is in each, anyway.

I keep various socket sets in various places -- most complete in the
shop, naturally, another pretty good complement of most things in the
barn, another smaller assortment in the machine shed, etc., etc., ...,
the pipe cutting tools, etc., in the old shop (because it has a better
arrangement for long stuff wrt to the vice), ...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

--

unfortunately many of the sockets I inherited came to me in bags or
just in boxes that if shaken will get disorganized. I was hoping there

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Joe wrote:

unfortunately many of the sockets I inherited came to me in bags or
just in boxes that if shaken will get disorganized. I was hoping there
was some big giant flexible key ring type contraption where I can
organize each socket by size then take them off without disturbing the
order of another. Does anyone do something like this?

They make the snap-on (not brand, the clippy things) that sockets will
fit onto, but I've never liked them. I far prefer them to simply be in
a tray. I know sizes well enough that for SAE I can simply pick up the
right one by looking at the opening--unfortunately, for the smaller
metric they're too close together there are some that have to fumble
for--7 and 8, 8 and 9, etc., ...

I would suggest going through the sets and selecting one socket of each
size for each drive size and getting a case for them or a toolbox w/
tray that has the graduated divider and put them in it. There are any
number of folks making cases (Craftsman has fairly inexpensive decent
plastic boxes if one isn't a professional or has extremely hard usage
requirements).

Or, if you have the room and are so inclined for the "high-priced
spread" solution, a rolling chest w/ the non-slip pads is ok, but while
I have them, they're not what keep the socket sets in except for some
_very_ specialty attachments.

Being the farm, this is a high-abuse area so the boxes are all metal
except for the sets that stay in the barn. They're all a minimum of 40,
some are probably 80 or even older by now--I'm not sure when some of
granddad's were obtained--most which came from Dad I remember when were
obtained and I've not bought a new box since sometime in the 60s...so, a
good metal box will last...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 18:01:24 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

I have bought or inherited over half a dozen socket wrench sets over
the years but I go through the same frustrating steps time after time
when trying to find the right wrench and socket for the job. Does
anyone have any unique ways over organizing these things to make it
efficient?

I cut pieces of wood to fit the drawers of my tool chest - one drawer for each
size - 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive. Then, I drilled the wood, inserted dowels in the
holes, put the sockets on the dowels & wrote the size on the wood in front of
each socket. Easy to find the socket I need, & easy to notice one missing.
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Speak softly and carry a loaded .45
Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Web Site: www.destarr.com

NOTICE: Upgrade your Socket Sets Now [email protected] Home Repair 32 October 19th 07 10:05 AM
Ratchet socket wrench question Jack S Home Repair 7 June 3rd 07 03:31 AM
How to organize shoes? Amelda UK diy 15 March 21st 06 02:44 PM
chuck for a speeder socket wrench t Metalworking 10 May 3rd 05 11:32 AM
Multiple 13A socket Stress! Vortex UK diy 32 October 6th 04 01:56 AM