Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default how do you organize multiple socket wrench sets?

Joe wrote:

unfortunately many of the sockets I inherited came to me in bags or
just in boxes that if shaken will get disorganized. I was hoping there
was some big giant flexible key ring type contraption where I can
organize each socket by size then take them off without disturbing the
order of another. Does anyone do something like this?

They make the snap-on (not brand, the clippy things) that sockets will
fit onto, but I've never liked them. I far prefer them to simply be in
a tray. I know sizes well enough that for SAE I can simply pick up the
right one by looking at the opening--unfortunately, for the smaller
metric they're too close together there are some that have to fumble
for--7 and 8, 8 and 9, etc., ...

I would suggest going through the sets and selecting one socket of each
size for each drive size and getting a case for them or a toolbox w/
tray that has the graduated divider and put them in it. There are any
number of folks making cases (Craftsman has fairly inexpensive decent
plastic boxes if one isn't a professional or has extremely hard usage
requirements).

Or, if you have the room and are so inclined for the "high-priced
spread" solution, a rolling chest w/ the non-slip pads is ok, but while
I have them, they're not what keep the socket sets in except for some
_very_ specialty attachments.

Being the farm, this is a high-abuse area so the boxes are all metal
except for the sets that stay in the barn. They're all a minimum of 40,
some are probably 80 or even older by now--I'm not sure when some of
granddad's were obtained--most which came from Dad I remember when were
obtained and I've not bought a new box since sometime in the 60s...so, a
good metal box will last...