Arthur

Default New type of wrench

Anybody tried these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Arthur wrote:
Anybody tried these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

--
*Always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arthur wrote:
Anybody tried these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

This man has clearly never touched a piece of pipe in his life.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 21 May 2005 10:48:16 +0000 (UTC), Arthur
wrote:

Anybody tried these?
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Thay've been around for years. Footprint are probably OK, but a Happy
Shopper one will have a soft nut that chews up from acting as a pivot
and becomes hard to turn for adjustment.

The question really is whether a pair of "mangling pliers" like this,
with gripper teeth rather than flat jaws, really needs to have accurate
size adjustment. A simple Footprint wrench has either a single pivot
position or a handful of discrete positions and they just let the taper
in the jaws bridge the rest of the gap.

Personally I like Blue Point (cheap Snap-On's) water pump pliers. Well
made and a good price, like a lot of Snap-On stuff is, if only you
bother to read the price lists to find the bargains (their Allen key
sets are good too)

BigWallop

"Arthur" wrote in message
Anybody tried these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

These aren't new, they're called footprints, and have been around for many,
many years.

Why Footprints? I hear you ask. Well when you lay them down and press them
into damp sand, they leave an impression like a foot print. Try it, you'll
see. :-)

Arthur

BigWallop wrote:
"Arthur" wrote in message

Anybody tried these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

These aren't new, they're called footprints, and have been around for many,
many years.

Why Footprints? I hear you ask. Well when you lay them down and press them
into damp sand, they leave an impression like a foot print. Try it, you'll
see. :-)

If they leave a footprint impression in the mother-in-laws skull I might
just 'get away with it'

Arthur
Arthur

wrote:

Anybody tried these?
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Thay've been around for years. Footprint are probably OK, but a Happy
Shopper one will have a soft nut that chews up from acting as a pivot
and becomes hard to turn for adjustment.

The question really is whether a pair of "mangling pliers" like this,
with gripper teeth rather than flat jaws, really needs to have accurate
size adjustment. A simple Footprint wrench has either a single pivot
position or a handful of discrete positions and they just let the taper
in the jaws bridge the rest of the gap.

Personally I like Blue Point (cheap Snap-On's) water pump pliers. Well
made and a good price, like a lot of Snap-On stuff is, if only you
bother to read the price lists to find the bargains (their Allen key
sets are good too)

I've been using a conventional plumbers wrench as a bracer/holder while
I tighten the nuts. But I find them a pain in the arse to choose the
right adjustment for the different widths. I suppose experienced
plumbers can do it with a flick of the wrist. The fuggin show offs

Arthur
Doctor Evil

wrote:

Anybody tried these?
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Thay've been around for years. Footprint are probably OK, but a Happy
Shopper one will have a soft nut that chews up from acting as a pivot
and becomes hard to turn for adjustment.

The question really is whether a pair of "mangling pliers" like this,
with gripper teeth rather than flat jaws, really needs to have accurate
size adjustment. A simple Footprint wrench has either a single pivot
position or a handful of discrete positions and they just let the taper
in the jaws bridge the rest of the gap.

Footprints are for small bore iron pipes. They are very good at what they
are intended for, which is gripping the pipe. They are not for nuts and the
likes.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
:::Jerry::::

Arthur wrote:
Anybody tried these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

Agreed, but having a smaller jaw thickness they can be used in places
were the deeper Stillson type wrench will not fit.

Nick Atty

On Sat, 21 May 2005 13:58:49 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Cheap Stillsons are usually a waste of space. The jaws ain't hard enough,
and as you say the pivot pin may break. So you use a decent quality larger
pair instead of the scaffold pole.

I've got a 3' (approx) Stillson - who needs scaffolding pole?

Ok - we actually got it for the distance the jaws open - it's perfect
for the nut on the stern gland on our canal boat, which must be over 3"
diameter. You don't really need much leverage.

It's ancient, slightly rusty, and cost a few quid from a market stall.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)

Doctor Evil

eenews.net...

Arthur wrote:
Anybody tried these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

Agreed, but having a smaller jaw thickness they can be used in places
were the deeper Stillson type wrench will not fit.

Another one who hasn't a clue.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

This man has clearly never touched a piece of pipe in his life.

You use a wrench on pipe? Is this the same sort of thing as cutting
plastic pipe with a hacksaw?

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

Agreed, but having a smaller jaw thickness they can be used in places
were the deeper Stillson type wrench will not fit.

I use waterpump pliers for this.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Footprints are for small bore iron pipes. They are very good at what
they are intended for, which is gripping the pipe. They are not for nuts
and the likes.

So you still use iron barrel? Well, at least your hacksaw is some use
there...

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Stumbles

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Arthur wrote:
Anybody tried these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

As someone else said footprint-pattern are narrower. They also let you get a
bit of a grip on the pipe by squeezing the handles whereas Stillsons only
tighten as you turn them, so they can fall off before they've got a good
grip. However I think there's an inherent weakness in the design of the
Stillson pattern: I nearly wrecked one (admittedly a cheap clone) trying to
give it some extra welly with a bit of scaffold pole, and the sort of
square collar bit started to split where the pivot pin goes through it.

I think the ones like this
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=10223
(also known as Stillson Expert in the Toolstation cat) are inherently
better from this pov. Best of all IMO are the much lighter alloy version
that ToolStation do as p/n 82687 etc.

Incidentally I notice TS do a thumbturn footprint-pattern wrench as well
(p/n 53447 etc), a lot cheaper than plumbworld's (but maybe made of cheese)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
As someone else said footprint-pattern are narrower. They also let you
get a bit of a grip on the pipe by squeezing the handles whereas
Stillsons only tighten as you turn them, so they can fall off before
they've got a good grip. However I think there's an inherent weakness in
the design of the Stillson pattern: I nearly wrecked one (admittedly a
cheap clone) trying to give it some extra welly with a bit of scaffold
pole, and the sort of square collar bit started to split where the pivot
pin goes through it.

Extending a footprint with scaffold pole would have had a better result?

Cheap Stillsons are usually a waste of space. The jaws ain't hard enough,
and as you say the pivot pin may break. So you use a decent quality larger
pair instead of the scaffold pole.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

This man has clearly never touched a piece of pipe in his life.

You use a wrench on pipe? Is this the same sort of thing as cutting
plastic pipe with a hacksaw?

Yes, for you that is what you do. You us footprints on plastic pipe. Please
do.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
Footprints are for small bore iron pipes. They are very good at what
they are intended for, which is gripping the pipe. They are not for nuts
and the likes.

So you still use iron barrel?

Iron barrel? What are you babbling about? Don't answer, please do not.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
:::Jerry::::

Doctor Evil wrote:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

This man has clearly never touched a piece of pipe in his life.

You use a wrench on pipe?

Well, I'm no IMM and I have used wrenches on steel / iron pipe, where
one is threaded into another - how else are you going to tighten undo
an inline coupler for example ?

:::Jerry::::

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

eenews.net...

Arthur wrote:
Anybody tried these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

Agreed, but having a smaller jaw thickness they can be used in

places
were the deeper Stillson type wrench will not fit.

Another one who hasn't a clue.

Your the one without clue, considering that you are jumping in and
criticising when you don't even know why or where I was using them.

:::Jerry::::

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

Agreed, but having a smaller jaw thickness they can be used in

places
were the deeper Stillson type wrench will not fit.

I use waterpump pliers for this.

Water pump pliers don't always grip, I found that 'Footprint' wrenches
will grip like a Stillson does. I will add this though, what I was
using them for was a certain job many years ago, I would normally use
either water pump pliers or a Stillson wrench - all I'm saying is that
they do have their uses.

nightjar

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
You use a wrench on pipe? ...

Despite who prompted that enquiry, I must say that I doubt I could have
built the compressed air system in my factories without a couple of Stilson
wrenches; one to hold the threaded steel pipe and the other to hold the
coupling or joint.

Colin Bignell

John Stumbles

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
As someone else said footprint-pattern are narrower. They also let you
get a bit of a grip on the pipe by squeezing the handles whereas
Stillsons only tighten as you turn them, so they can fall off before
they've got a good grip. However I think there's an inherent weakness in
the design of the Stillson pattern: I nearly wrecked one (admittedly a
cheap clone) trying to give it some extra welly with a bit of scaffold
pole, and the sort of square collar bit started to split where the pivot
pin goes through it.

Extending a footprint with scaffold pole would have had a better result?

Didn't have a footprint then so I wouldn't know: possibly the jaws might
have slipped but I doubt that the tool would have broken.

Cheap Stillsons are usually a waste of space. The jaws ain't hard enough,
and as you say the pivot pin may break. So you use a decent quality larger
pair instead of the scaffold pole.

I know, I know. But I was in the middle of a job and found I had to get into
this b*st*rd screwed iron or steel pipe for water and of course rusted up
to sodomy and I only had one weeny stillson. After that I bought the
cuff-off-great 24" wrench which hasn't failed me yet: definitely a case of
"If in doubt use a bigger hammer" :-)

John Stumbles

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

Agreed, but having a smaller jaw thickness they can be used in

places
were the deeper Stillson type wrench will not fit.

I use waterpump pliers for this.

Water pump pliers don't always grip, I found that 'Footprint' wrenches
will grip like a Stillson does. I will add this though, what I was
using them for was a certain job many years ago, I would normally use
either water pump pliers or a Stillson wrench - all I'm saying is that
they do have their uses.

Agreed: footprints, stillsons and similar self-gripping wrenches are the
only things to use for screwed iron.
raden

In message , Arthur
writes
Anybody tried these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Not really what I'd call new

They work well if used the right way round

--
geoff

Rob Morley

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
says...
In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

This man has clearly never touched a piece of pipe in his life.

You use a wrench on pipe?

What do you think a pipe wrench is for?
Doctor Evil

wrote:

Cheap Stillsons are usually a waste of space. The jaws ain't hard enough,
and as you say the pivot pin may break. So you use a decent quality

larger
pair instead of the scaffold pole.

I've got a 3' (approx) Stillson - who needs scaffolding pole?

Ok - we actually got it for the distance the jaws open - it's perfect
for the nut on the stern gland on our canal boat, which must be over 3"
diameter. You don't really need much leverage.

It's ancient, slightly rusty, and cost a few quid from a market stall.

And chews up the nut. Use the right tool for the right job.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

t...
Doctor Evil wrote:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

This man has clearly never touched a piece of pipe in his life.

You use a wrench on pipe?

What do you think a pipe wrench is for?

He doesn't know these sort of things.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andy Hall

On Sun, 22 May 2005 11:48:16 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Cheap Stillsons are usually a waste of space. The jaws ain't hard enough,
and as you say the pivot pin may break. So you use a decent quality

larger
pair instead of the scaffold pole.

I've got a 3' (approx) Stillson - who needs scaffolding pole?

Ok - we actually got it for the distance the jaws open - it's perfect
for the nut on the stern gland on our canal boat, which must be over 3"
diameter. You don't really need much leverage.

It's ancient, slightly rusty, and cost a few quid from a market stall.

And chews up the nut. Use the right tool for the right job.

Definitely. Such as a pipe cutter for plastic pipe for example....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 May 2005 11:48:16 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Cheap Stillsons are usually a waste of space. The jaws ain't hard

enough,
and as you say the pivot pin may break. So you use a decent quality

larger
pair instead of the scaffold pole.

I've got a 3' (approx) Stillson - who needs scaffolding pole?

Ok - we actually got it for the distance the jaws open - it's perfect
for the nut on the stern gland on our canal boat, which must be over 3"
diameter. You don't really need much leverage.

It's ancient, slightly rusty, and cost a few quid from a market stall.

And chews up the nut. Use the right tool for the right job.

Definitely. Such as a pipe cutter for plastic pipe for example....

Pipe cutters are not used on plastic pipe.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Andy Hall

On Sun, 22 May 2005 17:41:03 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

Pipe cutters are not used on plastic pipe.

Well.... according to all the manufacturers of plastic pipe they are,
but then of course you know better than they.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Evil

wrote:

Pipe cutters are not used on plastic pipe.

Well.... according to all the manufacturers of plastic pipe they are,
but then of course you know better than they.

Pipe snippers are used on plastic pipe, as a quick method cutting. Other
methods return the same result, as with copper, pipe cutters can be used, or
a saw and file, to obtain the same result. Isn't clever eh. Many ways of
doing the same thing.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , nightjar
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
... ...
You use a wrench on pipe? ...

Despite who prompted that enquiry, I must say that I doubt I could have
built the compressed air system in my factories without a couple of
Stilson wrenches; one to hold the threaded steel pipe and the other to
hold the coupling or joint.

Well, yes. But the IMM freak was talking about only using a Footprint
wrench for this.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , John Stumbles
wrote:
Extending a footprint with scaffold pole would have had a better
result?

Didn't have a footprint then so I wouldn't know: possibly the jaws might
have slipped but I doubt that the tool would have broken.

I doubt a footprint type tool would have gripped under those conditions.
Because it requires pressure on the handles at all times - unlike a
Stillson.

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

Doctor Evil wrote:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

This man has clearly never touched a piece of pipe in his life.

You use a wrench on pipe?

What do you think a pipe wrench is for?

Pipe in this day and age refers to copper, on at least this group. I'd
rather it was called tube. But the IMM ****** will use it for any tube
capable of carrying anything - from plastic through to iron barrel.

YMMV.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:34:54 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Pipe cutters are not used on plastic pipe.

Well.... according to all the manufacturers of plastic pipe they are,
but then of course you know better than they.

Pipe snippers are used on plastic pipe, as a quick method cutting.

The manufacturers call them pipe cutters and specify them in their
instructions, disallowing other methods. The reason is to produce a
clean, square cut.

Other
methods return the same result, as with copper, pipe cutters can be used, or
a saw and file, to obtain the same result.

I suppose that's true if you consider water ****ing out on the floor
and water not ****ing out on the floor as the same result.

Now I understand why you believe that J++ practices what he preaches.
You see both as the same thing.

Isn't clever eh.

You're right there. It isn't clever.

Many ways of
doing the same thing.

Mmmmm.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:34:54 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Pipe cutters are not used on plastic pipe.

Well.... according to all the manufacturers of plastic pipe they are,
but then of course you know better than they.

Pipe snippers are used on plastic pipe, as a quick method cutting.

The manufacturers call them pipe cutters and specify them in their
instructions, disallowing other methods.

No they don't, do a Google on Hepworths post.

Other
methods return the same result, as with copper, pipe cutters can be used,

or
a saw and file, to obtain the same result.

I suppose that's true if you consider
water ****ing out on the floor
and water not ****ing out on the floor
as the same result.

It is clear you don't know about this sort of thing.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

This man has clearly never touched a piece of pipe in his life.

You use a wrench on pipe?

What do you think a pipe wrench is for?

Pipe in this day and age refers to copper,

... all pipe is of copper this man has declared
... of plastic, brass, iron, he has never heard
... the wrong tools are used, to put the pipe so
... which inviariable fail and drip H2O
... with H2O pouring out of the door
... the water board people said we'll have no more
... they cut off his water and said you're a fool
... because he didn't use the appropriate tool
... his work it was clear was a great big show stopper
... because he thought all pipe was of all made of copper

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
raden

In message , Doctor Evil
writes

Doctor Evil wrote:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

This man has clearly never touched a piece of pipe in his life.

You use a wrench on pipe?

What do you think a pipe wrench is for?

Pipe in this day and age refers to copper,

.. all pipe is of copper this man has declared
.. of plastic, brass, iron, he has never heard
.. the wrong tools are used, to put the pipe so
.. which inviariable fail and drip H2O
.. with H2O pouring out of the door
.. the water board people said we'll have no more
.. they cut off his water and said you're a fool
.. because he didn't use the appropriate tool
.. his work it was clear was a great big show stopper
.. because he thought all pipe was of all made of copper

They said that to you, I presume

dIMM, the hacksaw king, eh ?

--
geoff
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Evil
writes

Doctor Evil wrote:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/618-1533

Hate those sort of wrenches. What's wrong with a Stillson type?

This man has clearly never touched a piece of pipe in his life.

You use a wrench on pipe?

What do you think a pipe wrench is for?

Pipe in this day and age refers to copper,

.. all pipe is of copper this man has declared
.. of plastic, brass, iron, he has never heard
.. the wrong tools are used, to put the pipe so
.. which inviariable fail and drip H2O
.. with H2O pouring out of the door
.. the water board people said we'll have no more
.. they cut off his water and said you're a fool
.. because he didn't use the appropriate tool
.. his work it was clear was a great big show stopper
.. because he thought all pipe was of all made of copper

They said that to you, I presume

Maxie, you have to read the thread again. You have lost it again. What are
you wearing Maxie?