Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
As someone else said footprint-pattern are narrower. They also let you
get a bit of a grip on the pipe by squeezing the handles whereas
Stillsons only tighten as you turn them, so they can fall off before
they've got a good grip. However I think there's an inherent weakness in
the design of the Stillson pattern: I nearly wrecked one (admittedly a
cheap clone) trying to give it some extra welly with a bit of scaffold
pole, and the sort of square collar bit started to split where the pivot
pin goes through it.

Extending a footprint with scaffold pole would have had a better result?

Cheap Stillsons are usually a waste of space. The jaws ain't hard enough,
and as you say the pivot pin may break. So you use a decent quality larger
pair instead of the scaffold pole.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.