Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What type of socket wrench should I get?

On Dec 23, 12:32*pm, willshak wrote:
Jo wrote the following:

This may be more of a car question, but I couldn't find an auto repair
group to ask. I need to pickup a last minute Christmas present for my
dad. I was going to buy him a dog-bone socket wrench. I'm not sure if
I should get the SAE or metric. I really don't understand the
difference between the two. Any suggestions? If it helps, we live in
the U.S. and most of the cars he works on were made between 1988 and
2004 with one being made in the 70s. The brands of the cars/trucks are
mostly Chevrolets and Fords.

Pick up one of each. $15 each at Sears.http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4278000P?mv=rr

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Frankly these things strike me a pretty worthless for any automotive
work. They are huge and more often than not the unused sockets will
be in the way. Might be ok for assembling your kids xmas bicycle but
that's about it. There's a reason for individual socket sets and
wrenches. And a reason why the really good brands like snapon are a
lot thinner and smaller than the medium to poor quality brands.