Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default What type of socket wrench should I get?

On 2010-12-25, Nate Nagel wrote:

I believe even Craftsman and Husky sockets are currently made similar to
the Snap-On "flank drive" sockets, and at least Craftsman have been for
something like 15+ years now.

Correct. Bonney invented the design and held the patent tightly till
it expired. I think Bonney made Snap-On's combo wrenches for many
years, but still didn't produce flank-drives for them. Now that the
patent has expired, most of the better tool companies offer some
variation of the flank drive. There are even flank-drive tubing
wrenches (open box), a great thing as those damn tubing connectors are
usually pretty soft. I've had an assorted collection of Bonney
flank-drive box-end wrenches and sockets for many years. The design is
brilliant and really works. They will grab rounded fasteners when no
others will.

(last resort: hammer and chisel)

nb