Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default What type of socket wrench should I get?

wrote:
I didn't know what a "dog bone" socket wrench was, until this post.

It's a wrench with 4 sockets that swivel on each end, with no ratchet
capability.. One of the all in one wonder tools. IMO, not a tool I'd
want. When I want a socket, I almost always want a ratchet with it.
For what this non-ratching dog bone does, I'd just use a box wrench.

I think most, if not all, guys who actually use tools would agree with you;
there is a reason stuff like this is heavily advertised at Christmas, along
with the "hoody footy" and chia pets.

The question to consider is what kind of tools does he already have? If
he's pretty well stocked, a small flashlight or good headlamp (get a good
one) is always useful, as are mechnics gloves. A good set of files can come
in handy as well, even if he already has some, as they do wear out.

It's tricky buying tools for someone who uses them, unless you know what
tools they already have.

Jon