Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT break in oil for a new car

Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2009 6:34 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

My Subaru's call for first oil change at 3,000 miles and every 7,500
there after. I don't think there is a standard and don't think there is
a "break in oil" per se but during the break in period there is more
metallic particle built up in the oil as the engine parts wear to fit
which would warrant early oil change. Tolerances should be better today
and there should be less wear. Personally, I'd probably make the first
oil change at half the manual recommendation. Can't hurt and may help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 5:34*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? *Did they ever? *I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

My lawnmower said to do the first oil change at a few hours, but it
has no oil filter to catch any metal shavings left from making it.
Cars have good filters, maybe 70 years ago they didnt. I dont know if
it matters, some even come with Mobil 1 synthetic now new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

It is no longer 1950. The oil in the engine is the same as you'd use at any
time. I tend to change the first time at 4 to 5000 rather than the 7500
normally I use and I do take it easy for the first 1000 miles. I got a new
car last Satuday and I've not gone above 4000 rpm or 75 mph yet, but I only
have 570 miles so far.

In a few weeks I'll wind it up. This new Sonata V-6 has 15HP more than my
old car with the same engine. The rated top speed is 134 mph but the most
I've done was 115 in the old one . Maybe I'll go for it in this one.

If you follow the recommendations of the oil change places and change at
3000 miles, you are wasting money. Unless, of course, you only drive that
many miles a year. Don't belive them that you need the transmission flush
either. Follow the book, not the dealer or Jiffy Lube type of place. They
are interested in making money, not helping you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:33 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever?

Some do most, I believe don't.

I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I don't know if the auto manufacturers ever recommended that,
but it is a common recommendation.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

That is becoming the norm. In your dad's day (that would likely
be my day) they often recommended a short oil change for a new car.
Today engines and oils are a lot different. It is best to check your
owner's manual and follow the instructions given to you by the guys
who really know and are not guessing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

Years ago the factory shipped the cars in with a very light engine oil. You
were instructed to drive the car at a very low speed for X amount of miles
then gradually raise the speed on the car. After a short period of time you
were told to change the oil to a normal viscosity. Reason for this was that
the factory couldn't maintain the close tolerances of engine parts like they
can today. On your first engine oil change on the older cars you could
actually feel metal that wore away mixed in with the oil. In todays cars
the only limitation the factory wants you to maintain is not to make any
jack rabbit starts at the beginning so that all the moving parts can settle
in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:36:22 -0500, Sanity wrote:
Years ago the factory shipped the cars in with a very light engine oil. You
were instructed to drive the car at a very low speed for X amount of miles
then gradually raise the speed on the car.

For '70s stuff I was always told just not to stress the engine - there was
no real need to limit peak rpm or speed (within reasonable limits), just
not to put too much load on the engine. I think it was oil change at 500
miles, then another at 1500, then normal cycle after that.

I don't think that's been true on new-from-factory cars for decades,
though (they'll do all the necessary running-in there before delivery,
presumably to avoid the unwary taking delivery of the car and blowing the
engine) - but presumably still applies to modern rebuilt engines.

On your first engine oil change on the older cars you could actually
feel metal that wore away mixed in with the oil.

Yeah - I was used to there being a little magnet in the sump drain plug,
and this'd come out first time with a big column of swarf on it...

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

That's the only answer which matters, since it applies to your actual car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

Cars in the past came with a special break-in oil - and needed it -
and needed it changed early, but not too early.

Today's engines have much finer finish tollerances and are basically
"broken in" when they are first assembled. VERY little initial wear
occurs - VERY little metal ends up in the oil at the first change..

Current wisdom in regards to break-in procedure is "jump in and drive
it like you stole it"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

You've already answered your own question. Why do you ask a question
to this group when you will probably get half of the respondents with
the wrong answer and the other half may just be guessing?

Not that it makes any difference to your situation but my car, not a
Honda, needed its break-in oil changed at 1200 miles. This was not a
ploy to get more money from the buyer because all maintenance for the
first four years, or 50K miles, was included.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

You've already answered your own question. Why do you ask a question
to this group when you will probably get half of the respondents with
the wrong answer and the other half may just be guessing?

Not that it makes any difference to your situation but my car, not a
Honda, needed its break-in oil changed at 1200 miles.

What model & year Honda?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:46:42 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

You've already answered your own question. Why do you ask a question
to this group when you will probably get half of the respondents with
the wrong answer and the other half may just be guessing?

Not that it makes any difference to your situation but my car, not a
Honda, needed its break-in oil changed at 1200 miles.

What model & year Honda?

What part of "not a Honda" didn't you understand?

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:33 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

If you're bright enough to know this is off topic, why the **** aren't
you bright enough to locate rec.autos.tech?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have always
heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

You've already answered your own question. Why do you ask a question to
this group when you will probably get half of the respondents with
the wrong answer and the other half may just be guessing?

snip
Gordon Shumway

That's probably true for most of the questions asked. It just does a good
to hear the varying range of opinions and the reasons behind them, if there
is one. It's one of the reasons that I come here. No flame intended,
Gordon. Later, Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:24:34 -0600, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:33 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

If you're bright enough to know this is off topic, why the **** aren't
you bright enough to locate rec.autos.tech?

Does that group offer support for the Yugo?!*

Last I looked the Yugo group was missing from servers...

*
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...px-go_yugo.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:33 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

If you're bright enough to know this is off topic, why the **** aren't
you bright enough to locate rec.autos.tech?

Does that group offer support for the Yugo?!*

Last I looked the Yugo group was missing from servers...

*
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...px-go_yugo.jpg

You could always try

alt.religion.autos.yugo it's still on Newsguy. Why, I don't know...

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

try alt.autos.honda. "tegger" knows what he's talking about.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:33 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

If you're bright enough to know this is off topic, why the **** aren't
you bright enough to locate rec.autos.tech?

Does that group offer support for the Yugo?!*

Last I looked the Yugo group was missing from servers...

*
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...px-go_yugo.jpg

You could always try

alt.religion.autos.yugo it's still on Newsguy. Why, I don't know...

There's also rec.autos.makers.yugo.

It must suck not to know how to use a newsreader to search for groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:33 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

If you're bright enough to know this is off topic, why the **** aren't
you bright enough to locate rec.autos.tech?

Does that group offer support for the Yugo?!*

Last I looked the Yugo group was missing from servers...

*
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...px-go_yugo.jpg

You could always try

alt.religion.autos.yugo it's still on Newsguy. Why, I don't know...

There's also rec.autos.makers.yugo.

It must suck not to know how to use a newsreader to search for groups.

It really sucks when a free server drops Yugo groups.

--
"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

You've already answered your own question. Why do you ask a question
to this group when you will probably get half of the respondents with
the wrong answer and the other half may just be guessing?

Not that it makes any difference to your situation but my car, not a
Honda, needed its break-in oil changed at 1200 miles.

What model & year Honda?

What part of "not a Honda" didn't you understand?

Sorry. Read too fast. What make, model and year?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Is there really a single yugo still running?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:33 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

If you're bright enough to know this is off topic, why the **** aren't
you bright enough to locate rec.autos.tech?

Since you are fimiliar with rec.autos.tech, you already know they get
4 posts a day max.

You do the math.

You know how kill filters work? I will do you if you do me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

If you're bright enough to know this is off topic, why the **** aren't
you bright enough to locate rec.autos.tech?

Does that group offer support for the Yugo?!*

Last I looked the Yugo group was missing from servers...

*
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...px-go_yugo.jpg

You could always try

alt.religion.autos.yugo it's still on Newsguy. Why, I don't know...

There's also rec.autos.makers.yugo.

It must suck not to know how to use a newsreader to search for groups.

Fortunately, the presence of OT messages has absolutely no effect on you
that you can discern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:33 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.
I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

If you're bright enough to know this is off topic, why the **** aren't
you bright enough to locate rec.autos.tech?

Does that group offer support for the Yugo?!*

Last I looked the Yugo group was missing from servers...

*
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...px-go_yugo.jpg

No wonder Yugo went under, the darn steering wheel's on the wrong side!

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be
changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no
special
instructions for the first oil change.

Back in the late 40's and early 50's, some new cars came with break
in oil, but not many. Break in oil was mostly used by shops after
rebuilding an engine. On a rebuilt engine, things were mighty tight
as a rule, what with new inserts and rings. Break in oil was
usually drained and replace with regular oil at 250 miles. The
theory was that the lighter oil helped parts seat in. Any metal
shavings, burrs, etc would be drained at 250 miles along with the
oil. Seemed to work then, but now days, I don't think it is used at
all.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:33 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

If you're bright enough to know this is off topic, why the **** aren't
you bright enough to locate rec.autos.tech?

Since you are fimiliar with rec.autos.tech, you already know they get
4 posts a day max.

rec.autos.tech has not such limitations. How did you arrive at that fantasy.

You do the math.

There is no math involved with such bull****.

You know how kill filters work? I will do you if you do me.

Get over yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 23:27:52 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
No wonder Yugo went under, the darn steering wheel's on the wrong side!

:-) Now who was it who offered a car in both LHD and RHD - the
'conversion' for RHD being a sprocket and chain system from the right
side of the car to a chopped steering mechanism on the left, so that all
the existing linkages could be retained?

My brain wants to say AMC, but it must have been 20 years ago now that
I saw the setup.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 23:27:52 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
No wonder Yugo went under, the darn steering wheel's on the wrong side!

:-) Now who was it who offered a car in both LHD and RHD - the
'conversion' for RHD being a sprocket and chain system from the right
side of the car to a chopped steering mechanism on the left, so that all
the existing linkages could be retained?

My brain wants to say AMC, but it must have been 20 years ago now that
I saw the setup.

cheers

Jules

How about two steering wheels? :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaoLJW5ck_Y

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:49:11 -0500, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 23:27:52 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
No wonder Yugo went under, the darn steering wheel's on the wrong side!

:-) Now who was it who offered a car in both LHD and RHD - the
'conversion' for RHD being a sprocket and chain system from the right
side of the car to a chopped steering mechanism on the left, so that all
the existing linkages could be retained?

My brain wants to say AMC, but it must have been 20 years ago now that
I saw the setup.

cheers

Jules

How about two steering wheels? :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaoLJW5ck_Y

car and driver once had a comic of a car with four steering wheels for
all wheel steering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:49:11 -0500, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
How about two steering wheels? :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaoLJW5ck_Y

Class! I like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlC93lTEwBQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

No.
Yes.
It's up to you.

Last new vehicle I bought (still have it) is a 2000 Chevy 3500 Express
Van. No early oil change was specified but it did say to go easy on it
until so many miles. I'm one who sometimes can't leave good enough
alone, so I changed the oil at close to 1000 miles. Two surprises at
once. First was a magnetic drain plug like they used to sell only at
places like "JC Witney". Second surprise was all the metal filings
stuck to the magnet! There was a lot, well in my eyes it was a lot. It
was enough that I changed the oil again after 2000 miles (and that put
me back on the 3K mile intervals). The second oil change had much less
metal stuck to the magnet. After that there has always been much much
less on the magnet, just a little "fuzz".

My biggest surprise was the good old magnetic drain plug. I had never
seen one in actual use before and this one came from the factory. JC
whitney was 20 years ahead of their time.

I also go with the 3K mile oil change. Many say it's a waste, but what
the hell, in the 70,000 miles I have on that van, oil changes have only
cost me about $500. An estimated $700 every 100,000 miles? That I can
afford for peace of mind. If I can afford about $14,000. in
gasoline/100000 miles, the oil changes are a drop in the bucket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Those metal shavings are the reason why alert, experienced drivers behind
you have to push the recirculate button. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules wrote:
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 23:27:52 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
No wonder Yugo went under, the darn steering wheel's on the wrong side!

:-) Now who was it who offered a car in both LHD and RHD - the
'conversion' for RHD being a sprocket and chain system from the right
side of the car to a chopped steering mechanism on the left, so that all
the existing linkages could be retained?

My brain wants to say AMC, but it must have been 20 years ago now that
I saw the setup.

cheers

Jules

Well, there were those drivers ed cars. The one at
my high school had an extra brake peddle on the
passenger side for the football coach who doubled
as the drivers ed teacher.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's profound advice. I've heard that transmission flush
are typically not useful, and may be harmful.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Don't belive them that you need the transmission flush
either. Follow the book, not the dealer or Jiffy Lube type
of place. They
are interested in making money, not helping you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:20:26 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
:-) Now who was it who offered a car in both LHD and RHD - the
'conversion' for RHD being a sprocket and chain system from the right
side of the car to a chopped steering mechanism on the left, so that all
the existing linkages could be retained?

My brain wants to say AMC, but it must have been 20 years ago now that
I saw the setup.

Well, there were those drivers ed cars.

Well, my brain woke up and it *was* AMC - on the Pacer. But only on UK
import cars, and googling suggests that it was handled by the company
doing the import and not by AMC themselves. How the hell that ever passed
any kind of safety inspection, I don't know. Apparently the car didn't
sell well over there in a market dominated by cars of half the size with
half the engine capacity. Having chain-driven steering and a driver's door
that was too long to open in the typical parking lot couldn't have helped.

Drivers Ed ones are interesting - over in England we always had ones with
"dual controls", with the pedals* linked - but not a passenger-side
steering wheel.

* I really don't recall if it was just the brake, of gas and clutch (very
few slushboxes over there) too.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
That's profound advice. I've heard that transmission flush
are typically not useful, and may be harmful.

That's why Jiffy Lube doesn't do the transmission flush. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

My wife and I just bought a 2010 Toyota Matrix. I asked the salesman
about doing an oil change after a few thousand miles. He said that
Toyota uses a break in oil and not to change it. Whatever need be
done will be done during the regular warranty servicing.

LdB

take a break Terry Home Repair 0 May 14th 07 01:58 PM
break!! Anton11 Home Repair 0 December 27th 06 11:48 PM
Why did they break? Mike S. Home Repair 11 September 29th 06 01:45 AM
[OT] break-in update Tom Gardner Metalworking 15 September 13th 05 08:13 PM
Any advice Before I break something else? Fred R Metalworking 9 January 12th 05 02:34 AM