Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default OT break in oil for a new car

On 12/20/2009 6:34 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

My Subaru's call for first oil change at 3,000 miles and every 7,500
there after. I don't think there is a standard and don't think there is
a "break in oil" per se but during the break in period there is more
metallic particle built up in the oil as the engine parts wear to fit
which would warrant early oil change. Tolerances should be better today
and there should be less wear. Personally, I'd probably make the first
oil change at half the manual recommendation. Can't hurt and may help.