Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT break in oil for a new car

Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

It is no longer 1950. The oil in the engine is the same as you'd use at any
time. I tend to change the first time at 4 to 5000 rather than the 7500
normally I use and I do take it easy for the first 1000 miles. I got a new
car last Satuday and I've not gone above 4000 rpm or 75 mph yet, but I only
have 570 miles so far.

In a few weeks I'll wind it up. This new Sonata V-6 has 15HP more than my
old car with the same engine. The rated top speed is 134 mph but the most
I've done was 115 in the old one . Maybe I'll go for it in this one.

If you follow the recommendations of the oil change places and change at
3000 miles, you are wasting money. Unless, of course, you only drive that
many miles a year. Don't belive them that you need the transmission flush
either. Follow the book, not the dealer or Jiffy Lube type of place. They
are interested in making money, not helping you.