Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob-tx Bob-tx is offline

Default OT break in oil for a new car

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be
changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no
special
instructions for the first oil change.

Back in the late 40's and early 50's, some new cars came with break
in oil, but not many. Break in oil was mostly used by shops after
rebuilding an engine. On a rebuilt engine, things were mighty tight
as a rule, what with new inserts and rings. Break in oil was
usually drained and replace with regular oil at 250 miles. The
theory was that the lighter oil helped parts seat in. Any metal
shavings, burrs, etc would be drained at 250 miles along with the
oil. Seemed to work then, but now days, I don't think it is used at
all.

Bob-tx