Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default OT break in oil for a new car

Metspitzer wrote:
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

No.
Yes.
It's up to you.

Last new vehicle I bought (still have it) is a 2000 Chevy 3500 Express
Van. No early oil change was specified but it did say to go easy on it
until so many miles. I'm one who sometimes can't leave good enough
alone, so I changed the oil at close to 1000 miles. Two surprises at
once. First was a magnetic drain plug like they used to sell only at
places like "JC Witney". Second surprise was all the metal filings
stuck to the magnet! There was a lot, well in my eyes it was a lot. It
was enough that I changed the oil again after 2000 miles (and that put
me back on the 3K mile intervals). The second oil change had much less
metal stuck to the magnet. After that there has always been much much
less on the magnet, just a little "fuzz".

My biggest surprise was the good old magnetic drain plug. I had never
seen one in actual use before and this one came from the factory. JC
whitney was 20 years ahead of their time.

I also go with the 3K mile oil change. Many say it's a waste, but what
the hell, in the 70,000 miles I have on that van, oil changes have only
cost me about $500. An estimated $700 every 100,000 miles? That I can
afford for peace of mind. If I can afford about $14,000. in
gasoline/100000 miles, the oil changes are a drop in the bucket.