Fred R

Default Any advice Before I break something else?

Fred swigs a 12-pack of Bass Ale onto the table

I have a couple of cheap drill chucks that feel like they've been lubed
with a mix of rubber cement and swarf. Just soaking them in solvent then
relubing might work but taking them apart would let me look for burrs.
After guessing that they are assembled with a right-hand thread between
the top part (with the taper hole) and the lower part (with the 3 holes
for the key) I tried a judicious use of force and saw no movement at all.

Before I employ a meticulously calculated lever arm (which happens to
match the length of my largest wrench) and an oh-so-gentle tap of a BFH,
could anyone tell me if this is how they are supposed to come apart? I'd
appreciate it; the chucks would appreciate it; so would my wife, kids,
and neighbors.
--
Fred R
________________
Jack Hayes

"Fred R" "spam wrote in message
[...]

If they are the Jacobs style then the outer sleeve is pressed on over the
body. Before I took mine apart a check on the Jacobs website gave some good
advice. Before pressing set the chuck about mid way between full open and
tight closed. Turn a sleeve to fit and press away, took only reasonable
force in my case.

Jack

Fred R

Thank you! Using the additional keyword "press" in Google found a site
with good pictures. Much better; I probably would have scored the things
into uselessness by twisting them.
--
Fred R
________________
Fred R

BTW, the site was http://www.beautifuliron.com/jacobs.htm

After looking at the opportunities to muck it up, I've decided to try
the solvent approach first and see if it is adequate.
--
Fred R
________________
Wild Bill

There is a webpage that I can't seem to locate, that shows disassembly
pictures/steps for Jacobs chucks. Many common chucks are of the same design.
The URL is something like oldiron or vintageiron, maybe. Maybe someone has
seen it recently and can post a link.

The basic procedure is to extend the jaws loosely, and use a section of
tubing around the body to press off the outer section.
A large vise or small press are suitable for the procedure.

There will most likely be a tapered-threaded ring inside that needs to be
kept righ-side-up.. wider opening up.

The jaw positions need to be maintained, so if there are no obvious markings
on them, you should mark the tops of them with 1-2-3 and remember if the
numbering is CW or CCW (anti-clockwise to some folks).

Assembly is a reverse procedure.

WB

"Fred R" "spam wrote in message
[...]

jtaylor

"Fred R" "spam wrote in message
Fred swigs a 12-pack of Bass Ale onto the table

I have a couple of cheap drill chucks that feel like they've been lubed
with a mix of rubber cement and swarf. Just soaking them in solvent then
relubing might work but taking them apart would let me look for burrs.
After guessing that they are assembled with a right-hand thread between
the top part (with the taper hole) and the lower part (with the 3 holes
for the key) I tried a judicious use of force and saw no movement at all.

Before I employ a meticulously calculated lever arm (which happens to
match the length of my largest wrench) and an oh-so-gentle tap of a BFH,
could anyone tell me if this is how they are supposed to come apart? I'd
appreciate it; the chucks would appreciate it; so would my wife, kids,
and neighbors.

I have just taken a hacksaw to the cheap drill chuck that came on the cheap
drill press and that seems to be the olny way to take it apart.

The brand name is San Ou, and the body looks like it has a black-oxide
finish, contrasted with the ground finish of the other parts.

It's not like a real jacobs chuck. The "body" is made of sheet metal which
must have been pressed around the toothed ring to grip it, and I think it
was rounded over at the base of the chuck where the female taper is.

The jaws on mine had many breaks in the teeth; the broken bits were mixed in
with the grease, and it was a total loss - I suspected that was so when I
decided to go the hacksaw route, and a local hardware place has jt33 chucks
on sale, so I'm off to have a look.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:40:17 -0500, Peter T. Keillor III
calmly ranted:

wrote:

There is a webpage that I can't seem to locate, that shows disassembly
pictures/steps for Jacobs chucks. Many common chucks are of the same design.
The URL is something like oldiron or vintageiron, maybe. Maybe someone has
seen it recently and can post a link.

http://www.beautifuliron.com/jacobs.htm

Man, someone should clean and oil/wax their anvil.
Good site otherwise.

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Jack Hayes wrote:

"Fred R" "spam wrote in message
. ..
Fred swigs a 12-pack of Bass Ale onto the table

Before I employ a meticulously calculated lever arm (which happens to
match the length of my largest wrench) and an oh-so-gentle tap of a BFH,
could anyone tell me if this is how they are supposed to come apart? I'd
appreciate it; the chucks would appreciate it; so would my wife, kids,
and neighbors.

Good thing that you didn't try that hard enough to move it, as
it is all one piece of metal from the back rim to the key holes. :-)

If they are the Jacobs style then the outer sleeve is pressed on over the
body. Before I took mine apart a check on the Jacobs website gave some good
advice. Before pressing set the chuck about mid way between full open and
tight closed. Turn a sleeve to fit and press away, took only reasonable
force in my case.

Actually, you should prepare two sleeves -- one to fit around
the back of the body for pressing the keyed sleeve forward, and the
other to fit around the front part of the body for pressing the keyed
sleeve back into place.

And it will *look* as though you have broken a ring in there --
the ring which contains the threads which advance/retract the jaws.
They were made as a single piece, with two narrow places, hardened (and
probably lapped somewhat), and then broken so they could be fitted into
the groove in which they rotate. They are held together by the press
fit of the keyed sleeve, and the two broken ends key into each other.

I used a 1/2 ton arbor press for them last time I did it, though
I now have a 3 ton one.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564