Jack Schumacher

Default Newbie to Veneering Needs Advice

Greetings Fellow Craftsmen!
Your excellent advice would be highly appreciated.

I'm a weekend woodworker/hobbyist. Before I begin my latest project,
I would like to seek some advice regarding veneers.

I want to build a few nesting tables (biggest tabletop being 2 by 3
feet) using plywood as the substrate for some maple veneer (not
paperbacked, does that make it raw??). Then I plan to dye the tops
black (using water-based dye), and finish the tables with shellac.

Just wondering what would be the best way to attach the veneer to the
plywood. Keeping in mind that I don't have a veneer press or vacuum
bag, would contact cement be a good solution, or just plain yellow
glue, or maybe hide glue? Any other solutions? Will any of the
adhesives react badly with the water-based dyes or shellac? I'm
looking for a good bond that can handle some abuse (I do plan on using
these tables a lot).

Again, any advice would be highly appreciated.

Jack
raj656

My first question is if your going to paint it black, why veneer it in the
first place when some good baltic beerch plywood would serve you just as
well? Hide glue is the traditional glue to use for veneering as it is easy
to use and repair. I personally don't like contact cement as it's a one
shot glue. You have to get it right the first time or your screwed. If you
are going to use veneer remember to veneer both sides of the plywood
otherwise your piece will bow on you.
Be sure to use a roller to press the veneer down on the plywood so that it
makes good contact. Good luck,
Ross

"Jack Schumacher" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Gene T

Asumming that you don't have a vacuum bag system I would go with the "Hot
iron technique"

Apply yellow glue to both the top of the substrate and the bottom of the
veneer. Don't worry about the veneer curling or wrinkling as it will
straighten out after the glue dries. After the glue has dried on both
surfaces take a household iron set on "cotton" and make sure NOT to use any
steam and simply iron the veneer onto the substrate.

You might want to place a paper shopping bag over the veneer to protect the
iron from getting dirty. I have used this technique several times and it
works well.
Gene
[...]

Gary

How about just buying some maple veneered plywood (readily available from
most lumber suppliers)? Birch would probably work just as well if you're
just going to dye it. There's no point in trying to do veneering on a
project like this when you can get it factory done.
Veneering to me means using speciality veneers that you want to use to
highlight a piece. I've gone to a vacuum press for my veneering but prior to
that, my method of choice was to use liquid hide glue for the adhesive. I'd
then take my plywood, set it on top of a larger piece of ply on the floor.
Then a larger piece on top (over some wax paper) with weight evenly
distributed on it to "press" it. A couple of hundred pounds (dumbbells,
sandbags, dog food, etc) works well. Key is to make sure your top piece is
firmly pressing across the entire surface of your veneered piece - no
warping or cupping of the top. For smaller pieces I've rarely had any
trouble with that.

FWIW
Gary in KC

[...]

Ted Hunter

I sell an inexpensive vacuum pump system that would work perfect for
your purpose. It is a low volume pump that can be run continuous The
kit comes with pretty much everything you need to get started.
http://www.roarockit.com
Look under RC/Hobbyist
Ted