Ted Hunter

Default Newbie to Veneering Needs Advice

I sell an inexpensive vacuum pump system that would work perfect for
your purpose. It is a low volume pump that can be run continuous The
kit comes with pretty much everything you need to get started.
http://www.roarockit.com
Look under RC/Hobbyist
Ted

Greetings Fellow Craftsmen!
Your excellent advice would be highly appreciated.

I'm a weekend woodworker/hobbyist. Before I begin my latest project,
I would like to seek some advice regarding veneers.

I want to build a few nesting tables (biggest tabletop being 2 by 3
feet) using plywood as the substrate for some maple veneer (not
paperbacked, does that make it raw??). Then I plan to dye the tops
black (using water-based dye), and finish the tables with shellac.

Just wondering what would be the best way to attach the veneer to the
plywood. Keeping in mind that I don't have a veneer press or vacuum
bag, would contact cement be a good solution, or just plain yellow
glue, or maybe hide glue? Any other solutions? Will any of the
adhesives react badly with the water-based dyes or shellac? I'm
looking for a good bond that can handle some abuse (I do plan on using
these tables a lot).

Again, any advice would be highly appreciated.

Jack