Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default OT break in oil for a new car

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:34:33 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever?

Some do most, I believe don't.

I have
always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed
sooner.

I don't know if the auto manufacturers ever recommended that,
but it is a common recommendation.

I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found no special
instructions for the first oil change.

That is becoming the norm. In your dad's day (that would likely
be my day) they often recommended a short oil change for a new car.
Today engines and oils are a lot different. It is best to check your
owner's manual and follow the instructions given to you by the guys
who really know and are not guessing.