Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why did they break?

Could someone take a look at this site:
http://www.geocities.com/littleboyblu87/broke.html
and tell me what would cause the railing to break and what would cause
the chair to break?

I've been accused of breaking these (I didn't) and I'd like to know
what happened to them. The railing is broke at the top of the stairs.
When people go down the stairs they tend to lean or put their wait on
the top part of the railing.

The chair is rarely used anymore. It's picked up at the top every week
on cleaning day and moved to another room. The cats also like to climb
and stand on the very top part of the chair. They've also knocked it
over once or twice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Sep 2006 23:57:12 -0700, "Mike S."
wrote:

Could someone take a look at this site:
http://www.geocities.com/littleboyblu87/broke.html
and tell me what would cause the railing to break and what would cause
the chair to break?

I've been accused of breaking these (I didn't) and I'd like to know
what happened to them. The railing is broke at the top of the stairs.
When people go down the stairs they tend to lean or put their wait on
the top part of the railing.

The chair is rarely used anymore. It's picked up at the top every week
on cleaning day and moved to another room. The cats also like to climb
and stand on the very top part of the chair. They've also knocked it
over once or twice.

The railing mount broke because it's made out of pot metal and
someone needs to lose some weight.

The chair broke because many of the glue joints are loose and
someone needs to lose some weight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message
ups.com...
Could someone take a look at this site:
http://www.geocities.com/littleboyblu87/broke.html
and tell me what would cause the railing to break and what would cause
the chair to break?

Weight. Lots of it. Those brackets will last forever under normal use.
Someone put a lot of weight on the railing, rather than holding themselves
with their legs. Railing generally just steady a person. Looks like
somebody was hanging on it. or really leaning hard. I'd put it in the
abuse category, or someone tripped and grabbed to keep from falling.

Same with the chair. Cheap or old chairs will do that, especially if
someone leans back on two feet and stresses the joints more. The bigger the
person, the more likely it to occur. If you have a constant leaner in the
house, I'd say it was 99% their fault.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chair: you got kids? then fatigue did it in, the joint was a little
loose in the first place, and stressed (it's natural position appears
to be pulled away from the chir slightly, so it didn't want to be there
anyway.)

Handrail bracket, again, if the pictures show the connection with no
one pulling on it, then either the wall isn't straight, or the handrail
is warped, this put stress on the bracket constantly, and everytime
someone used it it was that much more stress, eventualy the cheap alloy
broke.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Mike S. wrote:
Could someone take a look at this site:
http://www.geocities.com/littleboyblu87/broke.html
and tell me what would cause the railing to break and what would cause
the chair to break?

I've been accused of breaking these (I didn't) and I'd like to know
what happened to them. The railing is broke at the top of the stairs.
When people go down the stairs they tend to lean or put their wait on
the top part of the railing.

The chair is rarely used anymore. It's picked up at the top every week
on cleaning day and moved to another room. The cats also like to climb
and stand on the very top part of the chair. They've also knocked it
over once or twice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been accused of breaking these (I didn't) and I'd like to know
what happened to them. The railing is broke at the top of the stairs.
When people go down the stairs they tend to lean or put their wait on
the top part of the railing.

Why isn't there a bracket at the top of the stairs? It looks like 2 to 3
feet before the broken bracket thats allot to torque on that bracket. There
should be another bracket.

The chair is rarely used anymore. It's picked up at the top every week
on cleaning day and moved to another room. The cats also like to climb
and stand on the very top part of the chair. They've also knocked it
over once or twice.

Its from leaning back on the chair. Dropping it on it's back probably
helped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
Could someone take a look at this site:
http://www.geocities.com/littleboyblu87/broke.html
and tell me what would cause the railing to break and what would
cause the chair to break?

I've been accused of breaking these (I didn't) and I'd like to know
what happened to them. The railing is broke at the top of the
stairs. When people go down the stairs they tend to lean or put
their wait on the top part of the railing.

The chair is rarely used anymore. It's picked up at the top every
week on cleaning day and moved to another room. The cats also like
to climb and stand on the very top part of the chair. They've also
knocked it over once or twice.

Bracket - as others said - because it is pot metal (often zinc). Pot
metal is weak and brittle...next time use steel or even brass.

For the chair, I vote for the cats as culprits...looks like it got a
good hard whack when knocked over. Either that or someone leaning on
it hard.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
Could someone take a look at this site:
http://www.geocities.com/littleboyblu87/broke.html
and tell me what would cause the railing to break and what would cause
the chair to break?

All glue will fail eventually and all chairs will eventually need
repair. It doesn't help if you abuse the chair. I've repaired a few
chairs and glue joints can fail in as little as a few years or as long
as 50 years. It partly depends on the design of the chair and partly
on how it is (ab)used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in message
I've been accused of breaking these (I didn't) and I'd like to know
what happened to them. The railing is broke at the top of the stairs.
When people go down the stairs they tend to lean or put their wait on
the top part of the railing.

Why isn't there a bracket at the top of the stairs? It looks like 2 to 3
feet before the broken bracket thats allot to torque on that bracket.
There should be another bracket.

The chair is rarely used anymore. It's picked up at the top every week
on cleaning day and moved to another room. The cats also like to climb
and stand on the very top part of the chair. They've also knocked it
over once or twice.

Its from leaning back on the chair. Dropping it on it's back probably
helped.

Bingo on the braket- as soon as I saw the picture, I thought the rail needed
a top and bottom bracket. Close to 1/3 the length looks to be cantilevered,
with 'lever' being the key part of the word. Somebody grabs the end of that
long lever, it puts a hell of a lot of stress on those puny brackets. The
different color in the breaks screams 'pot metal' Replace ALL the brackets
with steel or brass, and probably go up a size- that is a pretty hefty
handrail.

As to the chair- cheap chair, looks like it broke at the kerf for the dowel
end part. Leaning back probably did it.

Who is having the hissy fit? The busted rail is trivial- 10 bucks for new
brackets (at least 3, preferably 4) and half an hour, will fix that. The
chair may or may not be fixable, depending on available tools and skill. If
it is an heirloom, any furniture refinisher can probably either replace the
spindle, or put a pin in there and fix it. I'd glue it, and run a long
skinny stainless screw up from the bottom of the seat, through the center of
the dowel. It would take some serious freehand aiming to pull off.

All in all, not a big deal, and tell whoever is upset about it to chill
already.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

My father is the one having the hissy fit (or temper tantrum as I
prefer to call it). It is his house and he does have a right to be
upset when things break. However, there's no reason to have a cow when
something breaks by accident. He thinks I grabbed the handrail and
pulled on it with force until it broke. He wouldn't listen when I said
that it most likely broke from some of us putting our weight on it when
we go downstairs. The funny thing is that no one knew the handrail and
chair were broke until he mentioned it. Hmm... Maybe he was the one to
break them and is blaming me to cover his own behind.

I'll see about getting those brackets replaced and adding another at
the top. Thanks to everyone who offered opinions and advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...

I'll see about getting those brackets replaced and adding another at
the top. Thanks to everyone who offered opinions and advice.

Don't "see about it". Just do it. If you don't know how to PROPERLY
installed them, pay someone to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...

I'll see about getting those brackets replaced and adding another at
the top. Thanks to everyone who offered opinions and advice.

Don't "see about it". Just do it.

You're a buffoon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeffc" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...

I'll see about getting those brackets replaced and adding another at
the top. Thanks to everyone who offered opinions and advice.

Don't "see about it". Just do it.

You're a buffoon.

No, putz. When I sense that someone doesn't take a safety problem seriously,
I ratchet up the wording.