Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default OT break in oil for a new car

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:20:26 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
:-) Now who was it who offered a car in both LHD and RHD - the
'conversion' for RHD being a sprocket and chain system from the right
side of the car to a chopped steering mechanism on the left, so that all
the existing linkages could be retained?

My brain wants to say AMC, but it must have been 20 years ago now that
I saw the setup.

Well, there were those drivers ed cars.

Well, my brain woke up and it *was* AMC - on the Pacer. But only on UK
import cars, and googling suggests that it was handled by the company
doing the import and not by AMC themselves. How the hell that ever passed
any kind of safety inspection, I don't know. Apparently the car didn't
sell well over there in a market dominated by cars of half the size with
half the engine capacity. Having chain-driven steering and a driver's door
that was too long to open in the typical parking lot couldn't have helped.

Drivers Ed ones are interesting - over in England we always had ones with
"dual controls", with the pedals* linked - but not a passenger-side
steering wheel.

* I really don't recall if it was just the brake, of gas and clutch (very
few slushboxes over there) too.

cheers

Jules