Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What can I get out of Pella?

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:16:51 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Get a concrete saw and fix the opening. YOU must have given them the
wrong measurements. I have never seen a custom window maker make a mistake.

you obviously do not have much experience with custom window makers. I
ordered a STOCK size bay window and used Pella's stated rough opening and
the window was 4" wider than the stated rough opening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:09:58 -0800, Jon Danniken wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Nov 23, 10:49 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to
wide so it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder
block, extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can
do is re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling
for for two days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night
(all true). Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion
by six weeks and forces me to have a hole in my house in
mid-January rather than now when it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the
most I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

A crew idled for 2 days, you paid them, why. I cant believe you went
to a hotel for a lousy bay window. You can get a billion dollars,
persue it to the supreme court.

I paid them the cancellation fee. Family went to a hotel the night
before because the crews started at 7am and we have a small child.
It's spelled "pursue".

LOL! What, were you worried they were going to stuff your child in a
lunchbox or something?

It's a window for crying out Pete. Keep the kid in another room or (better)
let him sit there and watch; kids love stuff like that. Hell, take him to a
library or a park or something.

Jon

and have the child fall out the window when back home?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi,
Crew? You mean contractor? Then let them handle it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

Not a factor, since the OP expected an opening there at some point for
installation. He's whining now about that fact that it will be colder
during the process.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 11:49*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

The most you can go for...? Why, there's no limit! Stop being a
piker. Really pile on those spurious charges. Obviously you'll need
couple's counseling to keep the marriage together over such a
traumatic blow. That'll fail, so you'll have a divorce, the kid will
be in therapy for years, pain and suffering...can you get a racial or
religious angle in there somewhere? That's always good for the big
bucks.

There's always enough blame to go around. From the one sided story
I'm gathering that you didn't do your homework (check opening and
custom window before pulling the old window) and didn't do your part
to mitigate the "damages".

Someone mentioned that you would never find a lawyer to touch the case
- that's not true. You definitely could find a lawyer - who would
never work on a contingency basis as you have no real claim and there
are not sufficient dollars involved, and he'd be charging you every
step of the way until you cried uncle.

People participate on this newsgroup to give and get advice and to
share experiences. The upshot of this thread is that you learned a
lesson. Everybody here could tell of similar learning experiences.
Pella is a good company to work with and they won't leave you twisting
in the wind. Will you be made whole? No, not if an unnecessary hotel
bill and paying a crew to sit around are part of "whole".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

[...]

Pella bay window rough openings are not measured the same way that
some other manufacturers measure the rough opening. This is most
likely where you ran into trouble. If you measured the standard
rectangular window opening - innermost wood to innermost wood - that's
not how Pella measures their rough openings. And very likely it is
the same thing that caused the OP to go astray.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I should have included the link to show you what I'm talking
about.
http://pellaadm.com/userdocs/documents/PLCMBAY3C.pdf
Pella measures their rough opening from the points marked 'A'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

It's a window for crying out Pete. Keep the kid in another room or
(better) let him sit there and watch; kids love stuff like that.
Hell, take him to a library or a park or something.

and have the child fall out the window when back home?

Duct tape + high chair. Go "wheeee!" a bunch of times.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

You're barking up the wrong tree. Forget Pella; write Obama. Tell him
you're in construction, but things have been rough and you have had to
send your people home and even move your family out of your house, but
now you think you have found a window of opportunity if you can get a
little bail-out. That should get you a couple of billion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 1:13*pm, IGot2P wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

IMO the only way that you have a chance of getting anything is to see if
they will adjust the price if you enlarge the opening and use the
existing window. Heck, you could well come out ahead if you make a deal
with them and use the current window. If they replace the window they
are already out that cost so don't expect anything else from them. OTOH,
I would bet that they would make you a good deal on the existing window.
All of the above is "IF" it was truly their mistake.

BTW - who is going to pay to ship the current one back and the new one
to you?

Don- Hide quoted text -

Yea, I had a plumber put a shower pan in 1/4 inch off and that threw
my green board off and my tile off by that amout. They took 1/3 off of
the price but I wasn't a dick about it and know a bit about
negotiaiting. It's not a case for the supreme court and they can't
help it if he signed a bad deal with the installers.

Tell them to knock 1/3 off of the price or explain your situation and
let them make an offer. Sometimes they offer more than you're looking
for. Except, maybe, in this case. In the case of my plumber the owner
offered the 1/3. I would have settled for .10...

Posted to alt.home.repair

in2dadark wrote:
On Nov 23, 1:13 pm, IGot2P wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

I'm the OP. For the benefit of someone reading this at a later date I
fill in some details.

The original window was not taken out. It's still in. My contractor is
very good and checked dimensions before attempting the project.

Pella sent a representative out who noticed that the window was botched
is several other ways.

Pella had the window for three weeks prior to delivering it. (They
forgot to mention that I needed to have two men to accept the delivery
so the delivery did not happen on the first attempt). So there was ample
opportunity to double check everything.

At this point they do seem to be a good company. So far I have received
profuse apologies and a promise that they'll find away to make it up to
me. Apparently it's the case of an incompetent local store.

I will update everyone on the outcome.

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
in2dadark wrote:
On Nov 23, 1:13 pm, IGot2P wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

Good example of why, even when you know how to take the measurements
yourself, and having the 'authorized rep' come take them will add a
couple days to the project, it is still best to let them take them. That
way, if there is a screwup, it is on their dime, not yours.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 9:22*pm, aemeijers wrote:

Good example of why, even when you know how to take the measurements
yourself, and having the 'authorized rep' come take them will add a
couple days to the project, it is still best to let them take them. That
way, if there is a screwup, it is on their dime, not yours.

I was more interested in how he was not inconvenienced and was making
up **** about staying at a hotel due to a hole in the house when the
old window wasn't even removed. Making up bull**** and then asking
people on the intertubes to help him figure out the best way to scam
the window company is a new low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Nov 27, 9:22 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Good example of why, even when you know how to take the measurements
yourself, and having the 'authorized rep' come take them will add a
couple days to the project, it is still best to let them take them. That
way, if there is a screwup, it is on their dime, not yours.

I was more interested in how he was not inconvenienced and was making
up **** about staying at a hotel due to a hole in the house when the
old window wasn't even removed. Making up bull**** and then asking
people on the intertubes to help him figure out the best way to scam
the window company is a new low.

-------

+1

jc

Why do you have it in for the original poster - he had explained that
the hotel stay happened the night before the project was supposed to
take place. Your self-righteousness is off-putting. To the OP: Pella
screwed up. It happens with second tier companies. I've dealt with
plenty of incompetent Pella people before - you have to stay on top of
them. It caused you grief and financial loss. It an ideal world, when an
honest mistake causes financial loss the two parties go 50/50. It won't
happen in this case so go for 25% of the price of the window. That's the
best I've been able to get out of them in the past. And I don't need to
tell you to ignore the pricks in this group.