Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default What can I get out of Pella?

On Nov 23, 11:49*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

The most you can go for...? Why, there's no limit! Stop being a
piker. Really pile on those spurious charges. Obviously you'll need
couple's counseling to keep the marriage together over such a
traumatic blow. That'll fail, so you'll have a divorce, the kid will
be in therapy for years, pain and suffering...can you get a racial or
religious angle in there somewhere? That's always good for the big
bucks.

There's always enough blame to go around. From the one sided story
I'm gathering that you didn't do your homework (check opening and
custom window before pulling the old window) and didn't do your part
to mitigate the "damages".

Someone mentioned that you would never find a lawyer to touch the case
- that's not true. You definitely could find a lawyer - who would
never work on a contingency basis as you have no real claim and there
are not sufficient dollars involved, and he'd be charging you every
step of the way until you cried uncle.

People participate on this newsgroup to give and get advice and to
share experiences. The upshot of this thread is that you learned a
lesson. Everybody here could tell of similar learning experiences.
Pella is a good company to work with and they won't leave you twisting
in the wind. Will you be made whole? No, not if an unnecessary hotel
bill and paying a crew to sit around are part of "whole".