Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What can I get out of Pella?

Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most I
can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Was it their mistake, REALLY, or the fault of whoever did the measuring and
provided the specs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most I
can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Was it their mistake, REALLY, or the fault of whoever did the measuring and
provided the specs?

Their mistake, REALLY. Why would you do that, Pella employee?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Sounds like a standard warranty to me. Nobody could stay in business if
they accepted liability for incidental or consequential damages. You
won't get more from them than a new window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 10:49*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

A crew idled for 2 days, you paid them, why. I cant believe you went
to a hotel for a lousy bay window. You can get a billion dollars,
persue it to the supreme court.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide
so it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for
two days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks
and forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than
now when it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the
most I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Get a concrete saw and fix the opening. YOU must have given them the
wrong measurements. I have never seen a custom window maker make a mistake.

Pella has accepted that it was their mistake.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:32:08 -0500, Aaron Fude wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds as if you will have a bay window to sell on Craigslist to help with
the heating bills to me. I would have sent the crew home after the
measurment of the window that didn't fit myself. That's just me
though. Cheap!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

What does the disclaimer on the receipt say?
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

I paid them the cancellation fee. Family went to a hotel the night
before because the crews started at 7am and we have a small child. It's
spelled "pursue".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

LOL! What, were you worried they were going to stuff your child in a
lunchbox or something?

It's a window for crying out Pete. Keep the kid in another room or (better)
let him sit there and watch; kids love stuff like that. Hell, take him to a
library or a park or something.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

IMO the only way that you have a chance of getting anything is to see if
they will adjust the price if you enlarge the opening and use the
existing window. Heck, you could well come out ahead if you make a deal
with them and use the current window. If they replace the window they
are already out that cost so don't expect anything else from them. OTOH,
I would bet that they would make you a good deal on the existing window.
All of the above is "IF" it was truly their mistake.

BTW - who is going to pay to ship the current one back and the new one
to you?

Don
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

In that case plead your case pointing out all the NEGATIVE free
publicity you are giving them on the internet. But first get past the
drone at the low level who answers the phone. Or go to the local outlet.
BUT you better have a copy of the piece of paper you provided with the
dimensions
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so

-snip-
What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most I
can go for here?

Was it their mistake, REALLY, or the fault of whoever did the measuring and
provided the specs?

Their mistake, REALLY. Why would you do that, Pella employee?

Perhaps they have humans working for them. Glad you put in writing
that it was a mistake.

**** happens. Enjoy your new window. In my experience- the bigger a
prick you are at this point the longer it will take to get the
replacement.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 1:39*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:33:23 -0500, LouB wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

Negative publicity? He already said that Pella readily agreed to make
him a new window. Sounds like a great company that does the right
thing. Some companies would have just told him that the mistake wasn't
theirs, and left it at that. He's not hurting Pella in the least here.

So far, Pella looks very good and the original poster looks like
someone out to try and take advantage of a situation.- Hide quoted text -

I have had trouble with Pella before. I ordered a door to fit an 85
inch opening and the door came in 83 inches and the expander was too
short. Called and talked to represenative she stated for a 85 inch
door it would be 83-13/16 high. Ordered door it came in 83 same as
before. They custom make but will deduct from sizes to what they have.
Was at big box store and he could not explain the trouble so we just
made the door smaller to stop the problems. Pella did not charge for
the extra doors that were wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 11:49*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Best thing is to cover hole with plywood when window cones in change
out and stay home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:16:51 -0500, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Get a concrete saw and fix the opening.

Job done. The crew likely had tools on the truck, and the window would
have been done by lunch time or sooner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

I priced windows from a local company which manufacturers and installs. I
said I might install them myself. They said they get SO many wrong
measurements from do-it-yourselfers that they'd stop by to check my
measurements AT NO CHARGE just to save everyone some aggravation.

It was perfectly reasonable to theorize that your measurements might've been
off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Aaron Fude wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

If they were sent the right dimensions, it hardly makes them great
that they will make the right thing after they've made the wrong
thing.

If it did, wouldn't it make the companies that make the right thing on
the first try even greater?

So being great isn't very good when others are greater.

Some companies would have just told him that the mistake wasn't
theirs, and left it at that. He's not hurting Pella in the least here.

So far, Pella looks very good and the original poster looks like
someone out to try and take advantage of a situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

According to their warranty statement:

Limitation of Remedy.
THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE BUYER OR USER, AND THE SOLE LIABILITY OF
PELLA AND SELLER FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LOSSES, INJURIES OR DAMAGES
(INCLUDING CLAIMS BASED ON BREACH OF WARRANTY, CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE,
TORT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE) RESULTING FROM THE SALE,
INSTALLATION OR USE OF THESE PRODUCTS, SHALL BE, AT THE OPTION OF
PELLA, THE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE PRODUCT OR THE RETURN OF THE
ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT, AS PROVIDED HEREIN. IN NO
EVENT SHALL THE LIABILITY OF PELLA OR SELLER EXCEED THE PRICE
PAID FOR THE PRODUCT.

I assume Pella's position is that this situation falls under the above
warranty limitation. It would be reasonable to ask for a free window
for your trouble. Who knows, you might get it. But I extremely doubt
they'd go farther than that.

If you hired a contractor to install the window, you could ask him why
the %$#@ he removed the existing window before verifying the
dimensions of the replacement window. If you hired the crew yourself,
ask yourself why you pulled the window before verifying the
replacement was correctly sized.

Hopefully, you can improvise a closure with plywood and/or plastic
sheeting and insulation batts to make do till the replacement arrives.

Murphy's Law bites us all in the butt at one point or another.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:17:09 -0500, "Jeff The Drunk"
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:37:33 -0500, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

And should replace it free of charge. But if you are contemplating
suing for damages you'll need to prove somehow that this damged you
which being of sound mind and mental faculties, frankly I just don't
see.

Of course it did. The question is not at all damages. They're plain
as day (except maybe how much crew time would be paid for IF there
were liability.)

The questions are two.

1)Is the company legally liable? Probably not for consequential
damages. READ THE SALES CONTRACT. See if it excludes consquetial
damages. This is what the term refers to. See if it specifically
limits liability for making the wrong thing. If the contract is long,
it probably does. If it's short enough, probably not.

If the contract is an order form, see what it says on the back.

2) Will the company give him something to keep his good will? I don't
know.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:49:28 -0500, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

I'm not good at that myself.

I don't know what you can get, but putting aside liability and
damages, the lesson to avoid this problem to some extent is to order
the window, and anything else, early and when it comes in to measure
it in advance. Then you might still have been inconvenienced but the
crew could make other plans and you wouldn't go to a hotel.

Yes, I don't do this either all the time but it's prudent to check
things out in advance. Did you wife try on her wedding dress before
the big day?

Joe wrote: "I priced windows from a local company which manufacturers
and installs. I said I might install them myself. They said they get
SO many wrong measurements from do-it-yourselfers that they'd stop by
to check my measurements AT NO CHARGE just to save everyone some
aggravation."

This isn't their legal respnsibility, but it's worth doing so people
are happy. The reverse is also true that it's worth doing more than
one would think a customer has to do, to be happy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

Now read the rest of what I worte, below...

Some companies would have just told him that the mistake wasn't
theirs, and left it at that. He's not hurting Pella in the least here.

So far, Pella looks very good and the original poster looks like
someone out to try and take advantage of a situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I priced windows from a local company which manufacturers and
installs. I said I might install them myself. They said they get SO
many wrong measurements from do-it-yourselfers that they'd stop by to
check my measurements AT NO CHARGE just to save everyone some
aggravation.
It was perfectly reasonable to theorize that your measurements
might've been off.

I recently replaced a panel from my storm door. When I discovered the price
difference between the cost of a pane of tempered and the cost of a pane of
tempered installed into a frame, I elected to install the pane myself.

When I showed up to order the pane, they said they could measure it for me.
I didn't see as to how this was necessary , as I had measured it *very*
carefully, and had allowed for the proper glazing depth and such.

Since it was free, however, I decided to let them meausre it anyway.

As it turned out, their measurement was 1/16" different than my measurement
along one axis. When I got the frame home I measured it again, and found
that I should have still been correct.

Then I had one of those "a ha" moments and instead of just measuring the
frame in the center, I measured it in the center and also along the edges.

What I discovered was that the frame was out of square on one axis by about
1/16". I hadn't thought to check this, but the guy at the glass shop did as
a matter of course.

Lesson learned.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Good thinking on his part, since storm doors seem to be designed according
to theories which were popular with Dali.

http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles...dali-clock.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:56:07 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Their mistake, REALLY. Why would you do that, Pella employee?

I priced windows from a local company which manufacturers and installs. I
said I might install them myself. They said they get SO many wrong
measurements from do-it-yourselfers that they'd stop by to check my
measurements AT NO CHARGE just to save everyone some aggravation.

It was perfectly reasonable to theorize that your measurements might've been
off.

Many times measurements are taken by sales people. Things go wrong. My
solar screens where measured and they had to take one back for fixin'.
A contractor here, went out and measured a bay window and was a
slightly wrong size from the store. The family consenting too change
the RO, instead of wasting time with minor problems. Lunch Time!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

What's little known is that Dali made and sold storm doors and
windows, and only did painting on the side.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Aaron Fude wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

And those companies would be disgusting, not even as good as average.

So far, Pella looks very good and the original poster looks like
someone out to try and take advantage of a situation.

Take advantage? He's lost money. He just wants to be reimbursed.

(Yes, besides what he paid the crew, he got a night at a hotel, but
most people would rather have that treat out of town. And also had
the hole in his house in January, instead of tte fall.)

Were it not for the contract he most likely signed, he'd have an
argument. The only thing that might ruin his case is that they woudl
say he should have checked the order when it came in, instead of
waiting until that morning.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:46:49 -0600, Hell Toupee
wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

He would have to have been given notice of this somehow, but he
probably was.

I assume Pella's position is that this situation falls under the above
warranty limitation. It would be reasonable to ask for a free window
for your trouble. Who knows, you might get it. But I extremely doubt
they'd go farther than that.

If you hired a contractor to install the window, you could ask him why
the %$#@ he removed the existing window before verifying the
dimensions of the replacement window. If you hired the crew yourself,
ask yourself why you pulled the window before verifying the
replacement was correctly sized.

At first I thought I had misread it, but now I think you did. I
don't think he's going to have a hole for the whole 6 weeks, only the
day they do the job, in January.

Hopefully, you can improvise a closure with plywood and/or plastic
sheeting and insulation batts to make do till the replacement arrives.

Murphy's Law bites us all in the butt at one point or another.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

He doesn't have even a glimmer of a case.

If he does, then Pella should counter-sue for the extra materials need
to make the bigger window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

FWIW- when I stopped in the Pella storefront here, with a list of
nominal dimensions, their sales rep said they would only sell if their
guy came out and measured, presumably to avoid situations like thise. I
assume they waive that rule for actual contractors they have worked with
before.

No, I didn't buy, but not because of that. It was because the swag 'cost
per opening' figures they quoted scared me to death. Guess they gotta
pay for those storefronts and huge newspaper ads somehow. Shame, because
the windows looked to be good quality.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

If YOU give the dimensions you need to be VERY sure you are talking
the same language as the window company. Surest way to get the right
size is to give maximum rough opening dimensions (which is a bit hard
with the original window still installed unless you have done quite a
few before. Pullint the interior trim will give you a good idea how
the original is built, so you can calculate the rough opening from the
inside finished dimension.

Had a salesman at a window shop where I worked for a while several
years ago that mismeasured at least 15% of his windows - he didn't
last long. The company "ate" every one of those - not the
manufacturer.

If they will make you a new window that fits, and get it to you QUICK,
that's about all you can ask.

If THEY did the measurement, you might try for something like a 10%
discount. That's about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

I have, & it was Pella. I was to help put in a 10'0"x 92 "hold to size bow,
with a 2'0" projection. It was a brick home, but regardless, they delivered
the thing in 3 sections. There was absolutely no way to mull them together,
the way Pella built it. There was 4 of us on the job, expecting a monster
size window. Pella did replace it @ N/C, delivered it correct size the next
time around & it was a monster. That darn thing was over $8K, 12 years ago.

Crazy to think someone went out of town because they're having a window
installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide
so it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for
two days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks
and forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than
now when it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the
most I can go for here?

One of the things taught in MBA school, is to offer the minimum to those who
rise up in righteous indignation. They will NEVER be satisfied, so no sense
going overboard.

In your case, a new window is probably the absolute maximum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-

One of the things taught in MBA school, is to offer the minimum to those who
rise up in righteous indignation. They will NEVER be satisfied, so no sense
going overboard.

Every once in a while we agree on something.g The above is truly
wisdom.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Well, I'm not sure if I'm getting the full story but maybe the judge
will.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most I
can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Getting money out of them? Good luck. You'll just make a lawyer richer.

They said they'd remanufacture. File the rest under life isn't fair and
move on.

But if you feel there's an attorney out there who's underpaid somehow, feel
free to file a lawsuit against them... sheesh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:08:08 -0500, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most I
can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Was it their mistake, REALLY, or the fault of whoever did the measuring and
provided the specs?

I had the same problem. I ordered a bay window and the stated rough opening
was about 4" too narrow. Fortunately I double jack plated it and ended up
with 1x6's for jack plates. If I didn't double jackplate I would have had
to buy new microlam beams. It was also shorter than advertised.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

They did the same to me. I ordered a stock bay window and the stated rough
opening was totally wrong. I made the opening 4" too narrow, but it was
THEIR measurements I used.