Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default What can I get out of Pella?

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:28:35 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:00:21 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:44:42 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:39:28 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:33:23 -0500, LouB wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide
so it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for
two days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks
and forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than
now when it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the
most I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

Was it their mistake, REALLY, or the fault of whoever did the
measuring and provided the specs?

Their mistake, REALLY. Why would you do that, Pella employee?

In that case plead your case pointing out all the NEGATIVE free
publicity you are giving them on the internet. But first get past the
drone at the low level who answers the phone. Or go to the local outlet.
BUT you better have a copy of the piece of paper you provided with the
dimensions

Negative publicity? He already said that Pella readily agreed to make
him a new window. Sounds like a great company that does the right
thing.

If they were sent the right dimensions, it hardly makes them great
that they will make the right thing after they've made the wrong
thing.

If it did, wouldn't it make the companies that make the right thing on
the first try even greater?

So being great isn't very good when others are greater.

Now read the rest of what I worte, below...

Some companies would have just told him that the mistake wasn't
theirs, and left it at that. He's not hurting Pella in the least here.

And those companies would be disgusting, not even as good as average.

So far, Pella looks very good and the original poster looks like
someone out to try and take advantage of a situation.

Take advantage? He's lost money. He just wants to be reimbursed.

(Yes, besides what he paid the crew, he got a night at a hotel, but
most people would rather have that treat out of town. And also had
the hole in his house in January, instead of tte fall.)

Were it not for the contract he most likely signed, he'd have an
argument. The only thing that might ruin his case is that they woudl
say he should have checked the order when it came in, instead of
waiting until that morning.

He doesn't have even a glimmer of a case.

If he does, then Pella should counter-sue for the extra materials need
to make the bigger window.