Posted to alt.home.repair
al

Default Pella windows from Lowes?

I'm going to be pricing replacement windows and wonder whether anyone
has had any experience with buying windows with installation (or any
other installation service for that matter) from Lowes and how it went.

I've seen lots of comments about HD purchases and installations of a
variety of things and there seems to be a fair amount of
dissatisfaction with the HD experience. But I haven't really seen any
comments one way or the other about Lowes.

I wonder how much oversight these companies have over the companies
they contract with to do the work and to what extent they get involved
in customer service issues should it become necessary.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

First off unless things have changed the Pella windows from Lowes are
strictly vinyl and not really made by "Pella". Pella bought a company a few
years ago so they could have a cheaper window at lowes. So compare products
with www.Pella.com and what is available at your local Pella store if you
have one. I prefer their aluminun clad windows and other neat options
available on their real windows like inside shades and invisible screens.

As far as Lowes installations, I bought a refrigerator from them. This just
got delivered (not installed) and they had the wrong color and they had
removed the door to bring it into the house and when my wife said it was the
wrong color the guy stopped installing the door, unknown to me, and just
hung it on the refrigerator. I called up Lowes about the color problem.
They asked me the model number inside the door. I touched the door and it
fell off the refrigator and I caught it midair on my ankle and was brusied
badly for months. No permanent injury though. But that is not all. THen
the guy drops the door on my hard wood floor when installing it after I had
just saved the door from hitting the floor. Their insurance company covered
$250 for replacing a couple of planks of Bruce prefinished flooring.

We also bought an expensive Fisher Penkal dishwasher with drawers. Turns
out it is relatively difficult to install. Their installer had to come at
least 5 times to modify the installation but after 6 months it is still not
quite right. I was a nice guy and tipped him $20 to $50 every extra trip
because I felt sorry for his plight but he has never made the final trip for
one last easy installation issue despite calls by me and Lowes. We are
about to install new Corian counter tops and will have the issue resolved at
that time.

WE DID NOT GIVE LOWES AN OPPORTUNITY TO BID ON THE CORIAN. If you were
wondering.

By the way if you ever get the fancy dishwasher, the drain hoses have to be
kinkfree and run along the floor so they support no weight until they get to
the drain. Then they go up above the drain, down around the bracket it
comes with and down to the drain. Any variation and they will kink in a few
months and the dishwasher will give an error code. Tell that to Lowes when
you see them.

"al" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to be pricing replacement windows and wonder whether anyone
has had any experience with buying windows with installation (or any
other installation service for that matter) from Lowes and how it went.

I've seen lots of comments about HD purchases and installations of a
variety of things and there seems to be a fair amount of
dissatisfaction with the HD experience. But I haven't really seen any
comments one way or the other about Lowes.

I wonder how much oversight these companies have over the companies
they contract with to do the work and to what extent they get involved
in customer service issues should it become necessary.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Menards sells pella , co warranty and service is the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

We had Lowes do our carpet and were quite satisfied with the carpet and the
installation. NOW the 12 months same as cash deal took an extra 6 months to
straighten out after we paid it off in the 11th month and they tried to
stick us with some bogus bull**** charge. It was finally removed and all is
well. But we won't use that option again.

--
Steve Barker

"al" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to be pricing replacement windows and wonder whether anyone
has had any experience with buying windows with installation (or any
other installation service for that matter) from Lowes and how it went.

I've seen lots of comments about HD purchases and installations of a
variety of things and there seems to be a fair amount of
dissatisfaction with the HD experience. But I haven't really seen any
comments one way or the other about Lowes.

I wonder how much oversight these companies have over the companies
they contract with to do the work and to what extent they get involved
in customer service issues should it become necessary.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:
First off unless things have changed the Pella windows from Lowes are
strictly vinyl and not really made by "Pella".

Not true at all. Lowes has wood *and* vinyl windows from Pella. Check
their weekly ad on their web site right now - you'll see one in there
on the window page (top right of the page).

They don't sell these on the web site but at the Lowes by me, they have
them on display. It's the 850 series - I think that's the lowest line
of wood from Pella, but it's still wood. And it's "real" Pella.

As far as Lowes installations, I bought a refrigerator from them. This just
got delivered (not installed) and they had the wrong color and they had
removed the door to bring it into the house and when my wife said it was the
wrong color the guy stopped installing the door, unknown to me, and just
hung it on the refrigerator.

Just FYI, it is the law in some places to remove the door of a
refrigerator for transport. He probably assumed he was going to have
to take it back, so why install the door only to have to remove it
later?

I'm just checking out this thread because I'm also considering hitting
up Lowes for a quote on some Pella windows, but figured I may as well
at least correct the vinyl vs. wood thing. Lowes does carry wood
Pella.

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
I'm going to be pricing replacement windows and wonder whether anyone
has had any experience with buying windows with installation (or any
other installation service for that matter) from Lowes and how it went.

I've seen lots of comments about HD purchases and installations of a
variety of things and there seems to be a fair amount of
dissatisfaction with the HD experience. But I haven't really seen any
comments one way or the other about Lowes.

I wonder how much oversight these companies have over the companies
they contract with to do the work and to what extent they get involved
in customer service issues should it become necessary.

Thanks.

Why wouldn't you just go directly to Pella? I went to pella.com, set
up an appointment, and a very nice sales person came to my house, with
sample windows, and gave me a thourough set of bids including each of
the options they offer.

If you are doing it for financing through Lowe's that's one thing. I
would let Lowe's offer you whatever "other" brand they carry, and maybe
leave the Pella windows to Pella.

I dunno.

Posted to alt.home.repair
al

j wrote:
Why wouldn't you just go directly to Pella? I went to pella.com, set
up an appointment, and a very nice sales person came to my house, with
sample windows, and gave me a thourough set of bids including each of
the options they offer.

I didn't know that was an option. If that's available in my area I'll
do that. THanks for the suggestion.

AB

Posted to alt.home.repair
al

j wrote:
Why wouldn't you just go directly to Pella? I went to pella.com, set
up an appointment, and a very nice sales person came to my house, with
sample windows, and gave me a thourough set of bids including each of
the options they offer.

Was your appointment with a factory rep or does Pella give the
information to a local retailer as a lead to contact the homeowner?

AB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Modrall

In article . com,
"j" wrote:

al wrote:
[...]

If you really want Pella, I'd 2nd going to Pella. We did the same
thing, and at the time, at least, they had no payments/interest for a
year + 25% off on every order for life if you bought more than $10k
(which includes the installation).

The sales person we got has been very good.
-Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
j wrote:
Why wouldn't you just go directly to Pella? I went to pella.com, set
up an appointment, and a very nice sales person came to my house, with
sample windows, and gave me a thourough set of bids including each of
the options they offer.

Was your appointment with a factory rep or does Pella give the
information to a local retailer as a lead to contact the homeowner?

AB

She was a Pella Sales Rep, worked for Pella, card was a Pella card. I
don't have it with me to give her exact title, but she worked for a
Pella Window and Door Store.

http://www.pella.com/finder/descript...on=window-door

She seemed very knowledgeable, and was not pushy at all...very low
pressure. I honestly felt like she was more concerned with me getting
what I wanted rather than selling me the most expensive line of windows
Pella offered. FWIW, I really liked their fiberglass windows over
vinyl options I've seen, but I really don't know diddly about windows,
so that shouldn't be worht much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

j wrote:
Why wouldn't you just go directly to Pella? I went to pella.com, set
up an appointment, and a very nice sales person came to my house, with
sample windows, and gave me a thourough set of bids including each of
the options they offer.

The Pella guy who came to my house did not do that. He gave me the
price of one option (maybe there is only one option for my situation,
I'm not sure), and it was pretty darn expensive. A lot more expensive
than the prices Lowes lists for Pella wood windows.

I would still try Lowes (and still plan to myself) just to see how they
compare. I wouldn't automatically assume Pella offers the lowest price
on their own windows. Manufacturers rarely offer the lowest price on
their products when selling direct - in any industry. You can almost
always do better if you go through a retailer. I don't know if that's
true in windows or not, but I don't know why it wouldn't be.

The one reason I'd go through Pella over Lowes would be the
installation. I'd probably trust Pella to supervise better, since
they're going to be the ones dealing with the warranty issues if
anything bad happens. So it may be worth a bit of a premium to go with
Pella direct, but it's still probably worth finding out what (if any)
that premium is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

wrote in message
oups.com...
Art wrote:
[...]

If he had a brain he would have carefully put the door on the carpet so it
wouldn't possible do damage or get someone hurt.

I'm just checking out this thread because I'm also considering hitting
up Lowes for a quote on some Pella windows, but figured I may as well
at least correct the vinyl vs. wood thing. Lowes does carry wood
Pella.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
(snip)

Just FYI, it is the law in some places to remove the door of a
refrigerator for transport. He probably assumed he was going to have
to take it back, so why install the door only to have to remove it
later?

Never heard of that, and find it quite hard to believe, since most new
refrigerators are delivered in the box, at least as far as the driveway.
Suspect you may be conflating that with the law that most places have that
dead refrigerators left outside must have the door removed or chained, to
keep little kids from playing rocket ship and suffocating. Not near the
problem it used to be since nobody uses mechanical latches on household
fridges any more.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
D4

The Pella windows at Lowes are very cheap. The warranty is short term
and tells the quality story pretty well.

Do yourself a favor before you buy. If there is a Champion Window
store in your area, let them come out and do their dog and pony show.
Right now it may seem to you like a waste of time, but you will know
every little thing to look for before you make a purchase. And don't
let their "suggested retail" price scare you off. You will find out
just what a high quality window like Pella would cost (about the same
as Champion's suggested retail) and be able to buy them from Champion
for about half to 2/3's that price

Posted to alt.home.repair

D4 wrote:
The Pella windows at Lowes are very cheap. The warranty is short term
and tells the quality story pretty well.

The warranty appears to be the same as it is on all the wood windows
Pella sells... 10/20/5-10.

Seems like there are a lot of anti-Lowes people here but so far it
doesn't seem like anyone has so much as taken the time to look at their
web site and see what they actually offer. So, here you go:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...brandpage=pell

On the left is the wood line, on the right is the vinyl. Click through
the "windows" link and you can then click again between wood or vinyl
(left side/right side, same as before).

Lowes offers an "850", "450" and "250" series in wood. These don't
correspond to anything on Pella's own web site BUT, surprise surprise,
Pella does offer three lines of their own called "Architect",
"Designer" and Pro-line".

Lowes offers one line of replacement wood window from Pella
("Renovation"), which is listed as a Consumer Digest "best buy". And
again, Pella also offers one model of replacement window, with a
different name ("Precision Fit"), but it's also listed as a "best buy"
with the same logo. Do you really think Lowes' own window was
*separately* named a "best buy" from CD?

It seems to me that Lowes probably offers the exact same windows Pella
does themselves, under a different name. (The fact that the Pella
frame on Lowes' web site is actually hosted by Pella and uses the same
pictures may or may not also mean anything.) This is not unlike what
Lowes does with a lot of their products, which just have different
model numbers than other retailers so they can claim an "exclusive".

The "Precision Fit" line was what I was shown by the Pella guy at my
house; I wonder what the "Renovation" replacements - which I have
little doubt are the exact same window - would cost from Lowes. I'm
heading up there to buy a window a/c from them tonight; maybe I'll find
out.

Do yourself a favor before you buy. If there is a Champion Window
store in your area, let them come out and do their dog and pony show.
Right now it may seem to you like a waste of time, but you will know
every little thing to look for before you make a purchase. And don't
let their "suggested retail" price scare you off. You will find out
just what a high quality window like Pella would cost (about the same
as Champion's suggested retail) and be able to buy them from Champion
for about half to 2/3's that price

Does Champion do wood? I looked up their web site and they advertise
only vinyl.

For myself, after having a guy come out and show me some Quantum2
windows and getting a price quote pretty far below Pella's, I'm about
50/50 now on wood vs. vinyl for my second floor (I'll still definitely
do wood for the public areas on the first floor). I'm trying to
convince myself I can live with vinyl if it means I can afford getting
the whole second floor done. But the original poster here seemed to
specifically be looking for wood, if I remember right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Minor correction...

wrote:
But the original poster here seemed to
specifically be looking for wood, if I remember right.

Just re-read his post - nowhere does he say wood, just Pella. So for
all I know he's only even seen the ThermaStar line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I have vinyl clad windows from andersen and some pella aluminum clad
windows. Althought very popular, I am not impressed by the Andersen vinyl
clad. On the south side of my house the vinyl has clearly stiffened and
changed color. Also we had an accident requiring replacement of some vinyl
on a window and it was almost impossible. Pella are easier to repair.

wrote in message
oups.com...
D4 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

Yes, that's true in my area too. Home Depot is is sort of depressing.
:-)

--
Cheri

Art wrote in message ...
But Lowes stores are much brighter and more cheerful the Home Depot...

at
least in my area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lowes Pella pricing update - got some hard info

al wrote:

Just re-read his post - nowhere does he say wood, just Pella. So for
all I know he's only even seen the ThermaStar line.

Actually I haven't seen ANY line yet. Just trying to research and get
some background before I go venturing out among the sharks.

My original intent was to find out whether Lowes would be a reliable
source to consider buying from knowing that in many case the box
stores' pricing is more competitive. But lower prices won't trump
lousy service. If service is lousy, I'd spend a bit more and go
straight to Pella if there were a Pella store in this area.

Ok, here's my latest update. As I said, we went to Lowes for an a/c
unit tonight anyway so I figured I'd hit them up for some window info.

I first went and looked at their windows and verified that they are the
exact same window the Pella guy who came to my house showed me. They
are. It even says "Precision Fit" on my measurement sheet, so they're
not even using their own name ("Renovation") everywhere.

I hit up the sales guy and said I was interested in 9 Pella replacement
windows and gave him the measurements. First, he seemed confused - he
said "replacements? You're talking about vinyl then." I said "no,
wood, you have them over there." His buddy came over and pointed them
out to him in the computer. So, I think it's possible this is a very
new line for them - maybe they *did* only carry vinyl until recently.

The price quote I got for my smaller windows (28x50) - with custom
hardware - was $464 each, plus $119 per window for installation. $583
total. The bigger windows (36x50) were about $50 more.

Add onto that our 10% new homeowner discount and it's only about $530
per window total (the discount applies to the window only, not
install).

That contrasts with $865 per window installed from Pella. For the same
exact windows! That's a huge difference. That's practically the same
price as the Quantum2 vinyl windows I just looked at (granted, those
are good vinyl windows - probably even better from an energy standpoint
than Pella wood... but not nearly as attractive).

I specifically asked how they do the install and whether they'll fill
up the voids in my trim with foam (I have counterweight windows now).
He said he didn't know. So, yellow flag there. I'll be asking a lot
of questions of the installer who takes the measurements, and I could
still call it off. But I was intrigued enough to pay the $35 to have
the installer come out (yeah, no free estimates... but they take the
cost of the measuring off if you buy the windows).

I mean, I can't see justifying paying $330 extra *per window* for
installation, however much better it is. I think for myself, the
option is now Lowes or vinyl. These windows obviously do not cost
anywhere near what Pella themselves charge for them and there's no
justification I can think of for what amounts to a $450 install charge
per window. So, and YMMV, but my advice is not to let Pella rip you
off. Either buy them and pay someone else to install them or buy
another window. I almost feel bad for the Pella guy who came to our
house - he was a nice, older guy, seemed honest, and I'm sure he
doesn't set these prices - but I just can't pay basically an extra
$3,000 for nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
Hope you get a chance to let us know how the appointment goes. But if
you're not impressed with the installer, windows can still be purchased
at the savings you've described and installation arranged with another
contractor, right?

True enough I guess. I'd just rather not deal with the hassle of
buying a bunch of windows and then having them sit in my house while I
find a decent installer. I mean it's not easy finding good contractors
of any kind, and this is an important structural element (if water or
air can get in after a shoddy install, you could be in for some major
repairs). I'm not exactly well-connected in the construction industry.

So it would just be a choice to make based on whether I think going
wood is worth the trouble of buying windows separately from having them
installed.

For you, if you're comfortable finding your own installer then I don't
think you can go wrong with those prices based on what I've seen. I
mean $464 for a 28x50 Pella replacement wood window with custom
hardware is cheaper than stock Andersen and only a little more
expensive than Quantum2 vinyl windows at those same dimensions.
(Andersen double-hung insert windows *start* at $588 according to their
web site.) Generally you'd expect to pay a little premium for decent
wood so I'm totally happy with that price; it just comes down to the
install.

I'll keep the thread updated...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lowes window installer update...

al wrote:
Hope you get a chance to let us know how the appointment goes.

Alright, I know it seems like it's been a while but I just got this guy
out here this morning. They told me it'd be 24-48 hours before I heard
from him, but instead it was more like 10 days and I ended up having to
call him first before he called me back. Annoying, but I'm finding
this is basically par for the course in the little world known as
contractor-ville.

Anyway, he was a nice enough guy once he got here and he seemed like he
knew what he was doing, at least he had answers for all my questions.
I asked him about the condition of some of my window frames and he said
it's no problem, if any of the frames are too far gone they'll just
replace whatever needs replacing. But he didn't think any of my frames
looked in poor enough condition to worry about. I asked him about
whether they do anything with the counterweight voids and he said
typically no, although they can if you pay extra. (This is included in
Pella's own installation.) They have to remove the front of the window
trim in order to remove the weight and fill up the space with
insulation, so it's extra time and effort. Not included in the $119
installation charge, I guess, but he said it's not a lot extra to add
that on if I wanted to.

He said included with the installation is removal of the old storm
windows and trim and the installation of some basic trim molding
outside. I don't know what this looks like, but I don't much care
either - anything's going to be better than the 80 year old unpainted
aluminum exterior I have now.

I'm thinking we'll go ahead with it once we get the financing (I'm just
waiting on the Lowes project card I applied for). It seems decent
enough. My next update will probably not be for a while, then, because
it takes about 6 weeks to custom-make the windows, then however long to
get them installed. But I'll dig up the thread again at that point and
let everybody know how it went.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How much is a Pella picture Windsor 59x59

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-120122-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2021 3:15 PM, Pat wrote:
How much is a Pella picture Windsor 59x59

$4215.79
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 15, 2021 at 2:15:07 PM UTC-5, Pat wrote:
How much is a Pella picture Windsor 59x59

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-120122-.htm

https://5estimates.com/pella-window-cost/
Posted to alt.home.repair

What ever ended up happening with your windows? We are in the same position and I just found your thread. I know it's from 14 years ago, but wondering if you ever had Lowe's do the install and how it went?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-120122-.htm