Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default What can I get out of Pella?

"mm" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:47:36 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I priced windows from a local company which manufacturers and
installs. I said I might install them myself. They said they get SO
many wrong measurements from do-it-yourselfers that they'd stop by to
check my measurements AT NO CHARGE just to save everyone some
aggravation.
It was perfectly reasonable to theorize that your measurements
might've been off.

I recently replaced a panel from my storm door. When I discovered the
price difference between the cost of a pane of tempered and the cost of
pane of tempered installed into a frame, I elected to install the pane
myself.

When I showed up to order the pane, they said they could measure it for
me. I didn't see as to how this was necessary , as I had measured it
*very* carefully, and had allowed for the proper glazing depth and such.

Since it was free, however, I decided to let them meausre it anyway.

As it turned out, their measurement was 1/16" different than my
measurement along one axis. When I got the frame home I measured it
again, and found that I should have still been correct.

Then I had one of those "a ha" moments and instead of just measuring the
frame in the center, I measured it in the center and also along the
edges.

What I discovered was that the frame was out of square on one axis by
about 1/16". I hadn't thought to check this, but the guy at the glass
shop did as a matter of course.

Lesson learned.

Jon

Good thinking on his part, since storm doors seem to be designed according
to theories which were popular with Dali.

http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles...dali-clock.jpg

What's little known is that Dali made and sold storm doors and
windows, and only did painting on the side.

Get outta here! :-)