Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default What can I get out of Pella?

On Nov 24, 11:59*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:16:51 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Get a concrete saw and fix the opening. YOU must have given them the
wrong measurements. I have never seen a custom window maker make a mistake.

you obviously do not have much experience with custom window makers. I
ordered a STOCK size bay window and used Pella's stated rough opening and
the window was 4" wider than the stated rough opening.

Pella bay window rough openings are not measured the same way that
some other manufacturers measure the rough opening. This is most
likely where you ran into trouble. If you measured the standard
rectangular window opening - innermost wood to innermost wood - that's
not how Pella measures their rough openings. And very likely it is
the same thing that caused the OP to go astray.