Posted to alt.home.repair
in2dadark in2dadark is offline

Default What can I get out of Pella?

On Nov 23, 1:13*pm, IGot2P wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so
it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block,
extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all they can do is
re-manufacture the window. I argue that I had a crew idling for for two
days, and my family had gone to a hotel for a night (all true).
Furthermore, the mistake delays the project completion by six weeks and
forces me to have a hole in my house in mid-January rather than now when
it's mid 50's out.

What's the best strategy getting money out of Pella and what's the most
I can go for here?

Thanks,

Aaron

IMO the only way that you have a chance of getting anything is to see if
they will adjust the price if you enlarge the opening and use the
existing window. Heck, you could well come out ahead if you make a deal
with them and use the current window. If they replace the window they
are already out that cost so don't expect anything else from them. OTOH,
I would bet that they would make you a good deal on the existing window.
All of the above is "IF" it was truly their mistake.

BTW - who is going to pay to ship the current one back and the new one
to you?

Don- Hide quoted text -

Yea, I had a plumber put a shower pan in 1/4 inch off and that threw
my green board off and my tile off by that amout. They took 1/3 off of
the price but I wasn't a dick about it and know a bit about
negotiaiting. It's not a case for the supreme court and they can't
help it if he signed a bad deal with the installers.

Tell them to knock 1/3 off of the price or explain your situation and
let them make an offer. Sometimes they offer more than you're looking
for. Except, maybe, in this case. In the case of my plumber the owner
offered the 1/3. I would have settled for .10...