Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tree Advice

Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

BTW, woke up this morning to find my flowering pear (about 35-40ft) laying
across the front of the house. Appears to have only damaged a gutter. Tree
service enroute. Big windstorm sheered it in half. They'll have to take
the rest out I am sure due to the way the trunk is split to the core about 1
foot up from the ground. Pretty thing but wasn't a wise choice for this
area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote:

Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

You're probably too used to them to appreciate their beauty, but this
NY'er was stationed at Yorktown in 1971-2 & I can still smell and see
the Dogwoods along the highway between Norfolk & Yorktown. [I-70?]

Too cold up here to grow them.

The Dogwoods do their flowering thing in the spring, but give you
shade the rest of the year.

If you want something more, Almonds give a nice pink burst in the
spring and nuts in fall.

Your local co-operative extension ought to have more ideas. Give the
Norfolk Botanical garden a cal [and a walk through], too.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit
on trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable
in wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

Most oaks, sugar, red & silver maple, ash, hickory, sycamore, long leaf
pine. All too big for you; OTOH, they grow slowly. Red cedar is wind
resistant, size OK? Dogwood and holly too. Redbud would work.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 5:12*am, "cshenk" wrote:
Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. *I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. *Apple
maybe? *Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

BTW, woke up this morning to find my flowering pear (about 35-40ft) laying
across the front of the house. *Appears to have only damaged a gutter. *Tree
service enroute. *Big windstorm sheered it in half. *They'll have to take
the rest out I am sure due to the way the trunk is split to the core about 1
foot up from the ground. *Pretty thing but wasn't a wise choice for this
area.

Just don't plant the tree close enough to your house to be a hazard.
Even slow-growing trees can develop diseases or rot that will make
them more likely to fall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

cshenk wrote:
Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

Down there you have a lot of choices. If you're looking for an
ornamental, besides the old standards of dogwood or redbud already
mentioned, there many choices in flowering plums/cherries/et al.

I'd suggest contacting a good nursery (not just what the Borg has on the
lot from the mass growers) and get some recommendations and see what
they have that you're not familiar with.

A semi-dwarf fruit tree could be a choice; to produce fruit you'll need
to choose something that is self-pollinating, of course, if you stick w/
only one specimen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"skeeter" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

what zone are you?

Hi skeeter! Sorry, didn't give much info there did I?

Zone 7 (although I'm on the line to a warmer set). Looking specifically for
a well rooted sort (fast growing generally not recommended), prefer deep
roots as opposed to spreading lateral ones. The yards here are small,
general city sized plots that we measure by the number of yards, not acres
;-)

I have been eyeballing apple tree types in google as the tree fellow said
they were unlikely to cause problems here (but have to plant in pairs to get
fruit). I also asked about dogwood but they have to be planted in shade and
the spot we have open between sewer lines and such isn't in shade.

I have a 50ft if that, run of grass between house and street and overhead
power/utility lines along the street and across the other side of the yard.

I do not mind if it takes a long time to hit 25 feet. I'd prefer one that
has more canopy and less lower branches. I'd love it if self pollinating
and gave back nuts or fruit. Yeah, I want it all ;-) I have time to decide
and ask for advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

The Dogwoods do their flowering thing in the spring, but give you
shade the rest of the year.

Oh I love them! It was one of the 3 types i checked with the fellow as his
team disposed of my flowering pear tree.

Has to have more shade than that spot has. It's a full sun spot.

If you want something more, Almonds give a nice pink burst in the
spring and nuts in fall.

Ohhh! Checking! Another suggested to me a Japanese Cherry Blossom. They
do really nicely here.

Your local co-operative extension ought to have more ideas. Give the
Norfolk Botanical garden a cal [and a walk through], too.

That was an idea! I haven't gone that far yet today. I was more checking
for house damage and tree removal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote
cshenk wrote:

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable
in wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

Most oaks, sugar, red & silver maple, ash, hickory, sycamore, long leaf
pine. All too big for you; OTOH, they grow slowly. Red cedar is wind
resistant, size OK? Dogwood and holly too. Redbud would work.

Holly no problem. We've tried to kill that thing several times. You can
not kill them. They are the engerizer bunny of 'short bushes' here. We have
it trimmed to 5ft tall.

Yeah, we have all the maple, ash, hickory, oak, and pine here. It's kinda
like a forrest. The oak tree is technically my neighbors (6 inches on his
side) and shades my garage and car. Hickory behind me in neighbors yard
shades the back of my house.

Redbud eh? I googled and liked the looks of that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

BTW, woke up this morning to find my flowering pear (about 35-40ft)
laying
across the front of the house. Appears to have only damaged a gutter.
Tree

Just don't plant the tree close enough to your house to be a hazard.

That's why I'm looking for a lower growing sort. This is a heavily forested
area and a small yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"cshenk" wrote:

Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

You're probably too used to them to appreciate their beauty, but this
NY'er was stationed at Yorktown in 1971-2 & I can still smell and see
the Dogwoods along the highway between Norfolk & Yorktown. [I-70?]

It was U.S. 60, and the tunnel felt mighty good on a motorcycle in
summer clothes in January.

Yorktown was a milestone in Marine Corps history. In 1781 the entire
British Army unwittingly ambushed Anthony Wayne's 800 men at Green
Spring. The spears carried by him and his officers should have alerted
Cornwallis that these were the Americans the British had been trying to
avoid for the last four years. Wayne attacked with bayonets, and the
British fled by sea to Yorktown.

Wayne was brought back in 1791, after a defeat three times worse than
the Little Bighorn virtually wiped out the U.S. Army. He trained a
highly professional army that easily defeated the Indians and the
British. The he died of poisoning and politicians ruined his army.

In the Revolution, Marines had been recruited with the promise of
lemonade. They weren't issued uniforms. They were disbanded in 1783.
A new Marine Corps was started in 1798. Some of Wayne's troops saw this
as a chance to bring back Wayne's traditions. They even got the dress
blue uniforms designed by Wayne. Regimental landing teams are organized
like Wayne's legions. The Marine Corps was soon legendary.

Too cold up here to grow them.

http://urie.mannlib.cornell.edu/wood...search=dogwood

Nineteen species on the Cornell Campus, several of them native.

The Dogwoods do their flowering thing in the spring, but give you
shade the rest of the year.

I have two. The 20-year-old is 15 feet high. The 80-year-old is 30
feet high. The shaded areas are small and last about 6 months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote
cshenk wrote:

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable
in wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted.
Apple maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

Most oaks, sugar, red & silver maple, ash, hickory, sycamore, long
leaf pine. All too big for you; OTOH, they grow slowly. Red cedar is
wind resistant, size OK? Dogwood and holly too. Redbud would work.

Holly no problem. We've tried to kill that thing several times. You
can not kill them. They are the engerizer bunny of 'short bushes' here.
We have it trimmed to 5ft tall.

Yeah, we have all the maple, ash, hickory, oak, and pine here. It's
kinda like a forrest. The oak tree is technically my neighbors (6
inches on his side) and shades my garage and car. Hickory behind me in
neighbors yard shades the back of my house.

Redbud eh? I googled and liked the looks of that.

I love redbuds - not as large, I believe, as what you seek. Also in the
small growth - perhaps too small - is rose of sharon. My son has one,
full sun, and there are hummingbirds on it all the time. They can be
white or pink. A very popular small tree here in Florida is crape
myrtle, which can be white, light pink, deep lilac pink. Pretty
trouble/care free, as far as I know.

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faq...yrtlefaq2.html

I love cherry trees, but my son's cherry tree is cleaned out yearly by a
colony of racoons....fun to watch them sneaking in, along with the deer
that much on the raspberries right next to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 11:32*am, dpb wrote:
cshenk wrote:
[...]

Another source of information is your local agricultural extension
service office. They are not just for farmers - they generally have
expertise on all things plants. -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:12:21 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

BTW, woke up this morning to find my flowering pear (about 35-40ft) laying
across the front of the house. Appears to have only damaged a gutter. Tree
service enroute. Big windstorm sheered it in half. They'll have to take
the rest out I am sure due to the way the trunk is split to the core about 1
foot up from the ground. Pretty thing but wasn't a wise choice for this
area.

Apple is a good choice, although they can be messy and sucker like
crazy. Bradford pears are about the worse tree for branches
breaking, to blooms stink, yet they are very popular.

What kind of soil? Acid or alkaline? Hours of light? Moisture? From
these facts, select the tree or bush that likes those conditions and
your tree will be a healthy one without much fuss. Avoid those that
might grow into your plumbing or produce surface roots. Make a $100
hole for a $20 tree. Now is a good time of year to plant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 7:12*am, "cshenk" wrote:
Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. *I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. *Apple
maybe? *Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

BTW, woke up this morning to find my flowering pear (about 35-40ft) laying
across the front of the house. *Appears to have only damaged a gutter. *Tree
service enroute. *Big windstorm sheered it in half. *They'll have to take
the rest out I am sure due to the way the trunk is split to the core about 1
foot up from the ground. *Pretty thing but wasn't a wise choice for this
area.

Not that I think these guys don't know trees, but I've found useful
advice at Gardenweb.com.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

[...]

I'd go for the Dogwood. I believe they put down a strong tap root and
have never seen one blown over. They do need sun and appear to be more
insect and fungus resistant than other flowering type trees (cherry and
plum) that I've tried. Also leaves are small and there is not much to
clean up in the fall. They are an edge type tree and too much shade
will kill them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
cshenk wrote:

Apple maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

Redbud eh? I googled and liked the looks of that.

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faq...yrtlefaq2.html

There a lovely one too! I'm the northern edge of them but I see plenty
about. I already have a rose of sharon in the far corner. Not very big yet,
more like a bush but a pretty one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

Apple is a good choice, although they can be messy and sucker like
crazy. Bradford pears are about the worse tree for branches
breaking, to blooms stink, yet they are very popular.

I like the apple tree looks. It's growing on us here. I could easily grow
a maple BTW. The sprout all over the place and we are constantly taking
them out. I've got a 12 inch or so one that took over a planter (used to
have catnip). Been just watching it this past summer.

Getting lots of good ideas here to look over!

What kind of soil? Acid or alkaline? Hours of light? Moisture? From
these facts, select the tree or bush that likes those conditions and
your tree will be a healthy one without much fuss. Avoid those that
might grow into your plumbing or produce surface roots. Make a $100
hole for a $20 tree. Now is a good time of year to plant.

Yup, this weekend, we are going to one of the better 'plant places' (not a
big-box, a regular place that does only plants) and select one. It should
for this area, be planted in the next 3 weeks for best effect.

Hours of light, as long as the sun is up. Naturally reasonably watered.
The reason the flowering pear fell over, was it's about a perfect growing
spot so even for a fast growth tree, this one got too big for it's britches.
The tree guy who took it out said i'd easily grow a lovely maple (and
several other sorts) of 100ft there. He said oak, cedar, elm, chestnut,
hawthorn, maple, etc would glomer all over that spot. Dogwood was about the
only thing he said wouldnt be optimal (sob!) as it's got too much sun and
they like partial shade.

I am tossing back and forth ideas now. Looking at dual semi-dwarf apple
trees (so they cross-pollenate) or a redbud. I don't want 'big' and the
worries of it falling in a hurricane. Nor do I want a 'bush' (though it
will take time to get big). I like the idea of one that gives off potential
edibles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

BTW, woke up this morning to find my flowering pear (about 35-40ft)
laying across the front of the house. Appears to have only damaged a
gutter. Tree service enroute. Big windstorm sheered it in half.
They'll have to take the rest out I am sure due to the way the trunk is
split to the core about 1 foot up from the ground. Pretty thing but
wasn't a wise choice for this area.

I have a Cleveland Select Flowering Pear. Years ago the city put in the
Bradford Pear for street trees. The Cleveland is a superior tree for
ice/snow & wind, compared to the Bradford. You can see the difference in my
tree & what the city put in. The Bradford's should really be taken down,
they keep breaking. I "assume" you had a Bradford?

Also have 3 Crimson King Maples, these are a very slow growing tree, and I
love the color of them. However, the Crimson doesn't have the vibrant
colors in the fall, like other maples. In fact, they are pretty ugly in the
fall. The Autumn Blaze Maple is a nice looking tree in the fall, but has a
much faster growth than the Crimson. The Sunset Maple is another maple
worth looking at, with fantastic fall color, but may be too large for you.
I have a Silver Maple, which I must take down. These are a very quick
growing tree, but split very easily in high winds and just about under all
conditions. I would not plant another one of these.

I have an American Redbud, which is really nice when in bloom. It's a
choice worth looking at.

Also have a Purple Leaf Plum (none fruit bearing), which I keep pruned
back. These produce a nice colorful bloom in the spring. But, the Japanese
Beetles love the sweet purple leaf. This replaced a Kousa Dogwood, which
died off.

My apple tree...I'm not crazy about, but the deer sure love it. I just took
out a Weeping Cherry (none fruit bearing), which produces a nice colorful
bloom in the spring. It would be a great tree to have, if you can grow it
in a corner or flowerbed. Mowing around it became a real pain. I had it in
my front yard, and always got compliments on it, neighbors thought I was
crazy for cutting it down. But, they didn't have to deal with it.

All my trees were from a 2" to 2-1/2" caliber when planted, except the
Silver Maple which was planted from a seed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Petro" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple

I have a Cleveland Select Flowering Pear. Years ago the city put in the
Bradford Pear for street trees. The Cleveland is a superior tree for
ice/snow & wind, compared to the Bradford. You can see the difference in
my tree & what the city put in. The Bradford's should really be taken
down, they keep breaking. I "assume" you had a Bradford?

Yup. Lovely thing. Come spring, people would stop cars just to glance at
it as they drove by.

Also have 3 Crimson King Maples, these are a very slow growing tree, and I
love the color of them. However, the Crimson doesn't have the vibrant
colors in the fall, like other maples. In fact, they are pretty ugly in
the

Humm! Another to check and thanks!

I have a Silver Maple, which I must take down. These are a very quick
growing tree, but split very easily in high winds and just about under all
conditions. I would not plant another one of these.

Not a good deal here. Silver maple are a good bit of the saplings we find
weeding out of our container garden and other spots. Cedar too. Found 3
cedars in the lettuce container garden box. Oh, if I want a dogwood, I just
have to plant it partly under the oak tree.

I have an American Redbud, which is really nice when in bloom. It's a
choice worth looking at.

This or tandem apples is where we seem to be centering.

Also have a Purple Leaf Plum (none fruit bearing), which I keep pruned
back. These produce a nice colorful bloom in the spring. But, the Japanese
Beetles love the sweet purple leaf. This replaced a Kousa Dogwood, which
died off.

Too much sun for the dogwood? Out in nature in Virginia, they grow wild all
over, but always under the canopy of a larger hardwood.

My apple tree...I'm not crazy about, but the deer sure love it. I just
took

Issues were suckers I gather?

All my trees were from a 2" to 2-1/2" caliber when planted, except the
Silver Maple which was planted from a seed.

Snicker, seedling maples, oaks, cedar and hawthorn I can snag from my own
yard. In fact, I'll probably have to weed them away from the open dirt
where the flowering (Bradford) pear was come spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote:

-snip-

Too much sun for the dogwood? Out in nature in Virginia, they grow wild all
over, but always under the canopy of a larger hardwood.

My mind caught up a bit and I remembered it was the highway between
Yorktown and Newport News [not Norfolk] that had all the Dogwoods I
remember from 1971. They were growing in the median with no shade.
Check for different varieties- apparently they don't all need shade.

Jim
[I googled for the highway- it was 17, not 70]
Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:

I am tossing back and forth ideas now. Looking at dual semi-dwarf
apple trees (so they cross-pollenate) or a redbud.

You could get a multiple variety apple tree, so pollination is not a problem.
They have 2, 3, or more varieties grafted onto one tree. You have to be careful
not to prune off tthe main branch of each variety.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:12:21 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

BTW, woke up this morning to find my flowering pear (about 35-40ft) laying
across the front of the house. Appears to have only damaged a gutter. Tree
service enroute. Big windstorm sheered it in half. They'll have to take
the rest out I am sure due to the way the trunk is split to the core about 1
foot up from the ground. Pretty thing but wasn't a wise choice for this
area.

Remember that apple trees have apples. If you are going to
harvest them (after doing a little spraying during the season) you
have a double good tree. However remember that harvest or not, there
will be apples to pick up that were bad or just did not get harvested.
I have not experienced it, but I have heard that apples tend to be
weak trees and may drop limbs, especially if they are not trimmed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

Remember that apple trees have apples. If you are going to
harvest them (after doing a little spraying during the season) you
have a double good tree. However remember that harvest or not, there
will be apples to pick up that were bad or just did not get harvested.

Grin, with as many squirrels as we have here, I will probably never see a
ripe apple ;-) I can hope though!

I have not experienced it, but I have heard that apples tend to be
weak trees and may drop limbs, especially if they are not trimmed.

Yes, saw that one. But at the size of them, this isn't that much of an
issue. Not like the 100ft tall oaks and such all around me! It's even
worse on the next block. Basically if you were to 'Google earth' of my
area, you see trees and the occasional roof. Mine is one of the roofs you
can see, partly occluded by neighbor trees.

We are also looking at redfern. Might be just right!

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

Remember that apple trees have apples. If you are going to
harvest them (after doing a little spraying during the season) you
have a double good tree. However remember that harvest or not, there
will be apples to pick up that were bad or just did not get
harvested.

Grin, with as many squirrels as we have here, I will probably never
see a ripe apple ;-) I can hope though!

Do those little emigrant *******s eat apples as well? I'm sending them back
on the first ship to Boston.