Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Tree Advice

"skeeter" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

what zone are you?

Hi skeeter! Sorry, didn't give much info there did I?

Zone 7 (although I'm on the line to a warmer set). Looking specifically for
a well rooted sort (fast growing generally not recommended), prefer deep
roots as opposed to spreading lateral ones. The yards here are small,
general city sized plots that we measure by the number of yards, not acres
;-)

I have been eyeballing apple tree types in google as the tree fellow said
they were unlikely to cause problems here (but have to plant in pairs to get
fruit). I also asked about dogwood but they have to be planted in shade and
the spot we have open between sewer lines and such isn't in shade.

I have a 50ft if that, run of grass between house and street and overhead
power/utility lines along the street and across the other side of the yard.

I do not mind if it takes a long time to hit 25 feet. I'd prefer one that
has more canopy and less lower branches. I'd love it if self pollinating
and gave back nuts or fruit. Yeah, I want it all ;-) I have time to decide
and ask for advice.