Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Tree Advice

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"cshenk" wrote:

Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

You're probably too used to them to appreciate their beauty, but this
NY'er was stationed at Yorktown in 1971-2 & I can still smell and see
the Dogwoods along the highway between Norfolk & Yorktown. [I-70?]

It was U.S. 60, and the tunnel felt mighty good on a motorcycle in
summer clothes in January.

Yorktown was a milestone in Marine Corps history. In 1781 the entire
British Army unwittingly ambushed Anthony Wayne's 800 men at Green
Spring. The spears carried by him and his officers should have alerted
Cornwallis that these were the Americans the British had been trying to
avoid for the last four years. Wayne attacked with bayonets, and the
British fled by sea to Yorktown.

Wayne was brought back in 1791, after a defeat three times worse than
the Little Bighorn virtually wiped out the U.S. Army. He trained a
highly professional army that easily defeated the Indians and the
British. The he died of poisoning and politicians ruined his army.

In the Revolution, Marines had been recruited with the promise of
lemonade. They weren't issued uniforms. They were disbanded in 1783.
A new Marine Corps was started in 1798. Some of Wayne's troops saw this
as a chance to bring back Wayne's traditions. They even got the dress
blue uniforms designed by Wayne. Regimental landing teams are organized
like Wayne's legions. The Marine Corps was soon legendary.

Too cold up here to grow them.

http://urie.mannlib.cornell.edu/wood...search=dogwood

Nineteen species on the Cornell Campus, several of them native.

The Dogwoods do their flowering thing in the spring, but give you
shade the rest of the year.

I have two. The 20-year-old is 15 feet high. The 80-year-old is 30
feet high. The shaded areas are small and last about 6 months.