Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Tree Advice

"cshenk" wrote:

Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

You're probably too used to them to appreciate their beauty, but this
NY'er was stationed at Yorktown in 1971-2 & I can still smell and see
the Dogwoods along the highway between Norfolk & Yorktown. [I-70?]

Too cold up here to grow them.

The Dogwoods do their flowering thing in the spring, but give you
shade the rest of the year.

If you want something more, Almonds give a nice pink burst in the
spring and nuts in fall.

Your local co-operative extension ought to have more ideas. Give the
Norfolk Botanical garden a cal [and a walk through], too.

Jim