Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on another tree?

I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

Do you own a chain saw? If not, I'd compare the cost of having a pro do the
job vs the price of the chain saw. Might be cheaper than you think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

Use a shotgun (or something bigger if you're a good shot) and blow away the
branches supporting the tree.

Well, it COULD work!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

It might only be 1' diameter, but it is still extremely heavy and dangerous.
It is probably best left to someone with experience and insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:15:40 -0000, Joe wrote:

I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

This can be a dangerous situation. Carefully think how the tree is
going to fall and how you are going to cut it. You may be better off
getting someone who is experienced in cutting trees. Recently I cut
down a tree and it did not fall where I thought it would--thankfully,
it did not do any damage to the garage. You could try throwing a rope
around the upper part and pulling it up off the branches. A few
strong men helps a lot, but I'd be concerned about anyone getting
hurt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree
down?

Is this all on your property, that the tree branches holding up the fallen
tree belong to you, and that the tree will fall onto the ground and not onto
any other structures? If yes: cut the branches of the tree which are
holding up the fallen tree. Of course, I ain't going to climb my fat ass
into a tree to do it myself, since I don't have a harness, climbing spikes
or the practice swingin' a chain saw whilst danglin' and clinging to the
trunk of a tree. I'm going to call a tree cutting outfit.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

[...]

Assuming you have adequate clearance to all things that should not have
a tree on top of them, the safest thing to do is to attach a chain to
the base of the fallen tree, just up a foot or two so it will stay
secure, and attach the other end to the front tow hook of a pickup.

Back slowly away from the tree, in line with it, dragging the base back
until it clears the tree it's resting against and falls down. If when
you start pulling, it shows any sign of pivoting on the base and tilting
back, stop immediately lest you flip it over on top of your truck.

If the tree's current lean angle is fairly far over there shouldn't be
too much risk of tipping it back up, and of course, the longer chain you
have the better. You can use a winch instead of a chain, but be sure to
put a mat, sand bag or other item on the cable to limit it's kickback if
it breaks or comes loose. Chains are a bit safer in that regard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:15:40 -0000, Joe wrote Re
How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on another tree?:

I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

This is a difficult situation. Here are some options to think about:

1) tie a cable to the bottom of the tree and winch/pull it so it falls

2) cut the tree that is holding up the broken tree and let them both
fall

3) leave them alone to fall of their own accord if they will not hurt
anything

4) call a pro

Both 1) and 2) can be dangerous if you don't have experience doing
them. Number 4) can be expensive.

I've opted for 3) with a 2-foot diameter cedar tree that fell against
and is being held up by an oak tree. I've been waiting for nine years
but it still hasn't fallen. I'll miss it when it does.

#3 is perhaps the most risky, having a known unpredictable hazard on
your property that will fall on that trespassing kid when it goes...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:12:04 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote Re How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on
another tree?:

#3 is perhaps the most risky, having a known unpredictable hazard on
your property that will fall on that trespassing kid when it goes...

Did you notice the "if they will not hurt anything" part of #3? Would
a kid be an "anything"?

In my case, my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. YMMV moron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In case you can't get a pick up into the area, you don't neeed a pickup
to do this.
Lotta' chain and a come along anchored far from the broken tree will
accomplish the same thing,
*IF* you have a safe area into / onto which the broken tree can fall.

Pete C. wrote:

Phisherman wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

Careful, there might be a good deal of stresses stored on those trees. I saw
a logger fell two huge trees at the same time. Incredible, it fell and
landed at the same time and perfectly parallel to each other. He said he
wasn't showing off, just didn't want one tree hung up on another like in
your case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lotta' chain and a come along anchored far from the broken tree will
accomplish the same thing,

I've had this happen a couple of times. The come along works fine.
Just keep a close eye on it that it doesn't snap. One tree the base
was digging into the ground so I had to use a large branch and a block
to prey it up to keep it from digging in.

Good luck and be careful,

#3 is perhaps the most risky, having a known unpredictable hazard on
your property that will fall on that trespassing kid when it goes...

Did you notice the "if they will not hurt anything" part of #3? Would
a kid be an "anything"?

In my case, my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. YMMV moron.

So you have the area fenced in and guarded? Never had kids trespassing -
ever? It only has to happen once. 1/4 mile (1,320') is not that much. I
have some 65 heavily wooded acres and trespassers are quite common,
particularly kids on ATVs and hunters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

** Frank ** wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

Careful, there might be a good deal of stresses stored on those trees. I saw
a logger fell two huge trees at the same time. Incredible, it fell and
landed at the same time and perfectly parallel to each other. He said he
wasn't showing off, just didn't want one tree hung up on another like in
your case.

Not really much stress stored in the trees, rather potential energy from
the suspended mass and gravity. Stored energy / stress would be bending
a sapling over to power a snare. Either way, a couple hundred pounds of
tree won't be good for whatever it lands on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 5:26 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
** Frank ** wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

tree won't be good for whatever it lands on.- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like it is out in the 'boonies'. The best option for DIY is
to pull it down (by the base!!). There is a method of cutting soem of
it to reduce the weight and angle (I have done it several times) but I
don't advise someone not experienced to use it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 4:15 pm, Joe wrote:
I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

Hi,

I think this is a proffessional job. See this web site about logging
and safety. http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/logging/index.html
and a good manual about all the hazzards here
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/mainpage.html.

On the hazards page:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logg...s/hazards.html

It descibes what you have is a "Lodged Tree". The warning reads:

"Do not work in the presence of lodged trees. Have these death traps
pushed or pulled down by a machine."

So the standard method in the industry is to use a Backhoe type
catapilar machine to haul it out the way. I had one of these on my
property and called in the professionals.

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:23:40 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote Re How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on
another tree?:

So you have the area fenced in and guarded? Never had kids trespassing -
ever? It only has to happen once. 1/4 mile (1,320') is not that much. I
have some 65 heavily wooded acres and trespassers are quite common,
particularly kids on ATVs and hunters.

Good for you.

Spend your time 1/4 mile from your house getting naturally fallen
trees down on the ground so trespassers will be safe from "acts of
god". You're very thoughtful and considerate. I wish I was that
considerate.

While you are at it, you might put up warning and direction signs for
the trespassing kids, ATV riders and hunters. It's great living in a
rural area isn't it?

Since you like to put in the last word, please put it right below this
line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 6:14 am, Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

The only safe way to do it DIY is to hook on to the butt end of the
leaning tree with a long cable or chain and pull it from a safe
distance---either with a pickup or a comealong (assuming you don't
have a winch in your storage shed). Hook on as close to the ground as
you can--you don't want the tree coming back from the direction it
fell. Having worked as a logger, I'd say this is no situation for an
amateur to deal with with a chainsaw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

This is a very dangerous situation. Even I would probably call a pro
for this. (that's saying a lot, I seldom call a pro for anything)

You might can pull the tree out of the other one with a chain or cable.

Bob