mikes News

Default Tree Identification please? (Tulip tree?)

Tree Identification please? (Tulip tree?)

I recently moved to SW Indiana from CA. On the side of our house we have a
tree growing that I have no idea what its called.

Its about 30 feet high, the bark is sort brownish white (thin. not heavy
bark) In the spring its covered with beautiful purple flowers like tulips.
(Folks around hear call it a tulip tree) It buds a little in late summer
also. in fact has some buds now,

The leaves are dark green, about 5 inches long with no webbing perhaps a
little wider at end, sorta like a wide boat. You can see the divisions for
the branches in the trunk which is about 24 inches diameter.

Anybody know what it is?

Is this a good tree for turning? There is no way my wife will let me touch
our tree, but I have seen others like it in local forest, also. ours may
need to be pruned.? But. what is it and what does the wood look like and
turn like.?

Thanks.

PS... If any of you know of any other woods common to SW Indiana that are
nice that I should be on the look out for. Please let tell me about it.

I lived in the SF Bay area for the past 30 years. and have purchased all of
my turning stock. I can identify many of the woods in its milled form but
have NEVER harvested any my own wood, (accept some mystery I have been
turning out of my fire woodpile lately)

Now $ (lack of) and remoteness. (long way to the hardwood stores moved to
the boonies) is causing me to look longingly at all the hardwood forest
around me. (I live half mile form the state forest)

Big Mike

Dan Bollinger

What you are looking at is probably another member of the Magnolia family,
the Southern Magnolia, brought north and planted as an ornamental. It has
the flowers, bark and leaves you describe and is common on Indiana
farmsteads.

It's not a Yellow Poplar, an idigenous tree, also called Tulip Tree,
Flowering Tulip, Tulip-poplar, and Tuliptree. They have 'tulip' shaped
leaves, very distinct and certainly not boat shaped. Also, the flowers are
orange-ish. The Tulip Tree is the Indiana State tree and is where we get
poplar wood from. During pioneering of the eastern half of the US, the
poplar was the chosen wood for barn beams (oak being the wood of choice for
columns), 12" x 12" x 60' beams are not uncommon.

Dan

[...]

J. Clarke

Dan Bollinger wrote:

What you are looking at is probably another member of the Magnolia family,
the Southern Magnolia, brought north and planted as an ornamental. It has
the flowers, bark and leaves you describe and is common on Indiana
farmsteads.

Being from the South, I was a bit puzzled by the notion of a Southern
Magnolia with a tulip-shaped white flower, as the flower of the Magnolias
in the South is white and not much like that of a tulip. Did a search and
found that the Japanese Magnolia fits the description though, and is
sometimes called a "Tulip Tree".

If you DAGS on "Japanese magnolia wood" you'll find a lot of hits, including
the FPL datasheet, which indicates that it's easy to work, some photos of
various items made from Japanese Magnolia, and some discussion of its
traditional uses, one of which is in the scabbards for Japanese swords.

[...]

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
dave in Fairfax

mikes News wrote:
[...]

I lived in Indiana for some of my childhood, the first one. If
you can post some pix of the leaves and flowers to ABPW you might
get a better answer. AS for good wood in your area, BUCKEYE.
Along with anything else that grows. There are lots of hardwoods,
including beech in your area, grab a tree ID book and look around
you. Free wood is good wood.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
mikes News

I did a web search for
"Southern Magnolia"

The search results showed pictures of trees exactly like ours... You hit the
nail on the head

Thanks
Mike
"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
[...]

Dan Bollinger

I did a web search for
"Southern Magnolia"

The search results showed pictures of trees exactly like ours... You hit

the
nail on the head

Thanks
Mike

Kinda figured. I've heard them called tulip trees and they are a common
ornamental here. Dan

unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 03:44 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 06:13 PM