Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Tree Advice

"Phisherman" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

Apple is a good choice, although they can be messy and sucker like
crazy. Bradford pears are about the worse tree for branches
breaking, to blooms stink, yet they are very popular.

I like the apple tree looks. It's growing on us here. I could easily grow
a maple BTW. The sprout all over the place and we are constantly taking
them out. I've got a 12 inch or so one that took over a planter (used to
have catnip). Been just watching it this past summer.

Getting lots of good ideas here to look over!

What kind of soil? Acid or alkaline? Hours of light? Moisture? From
these facts, select the tree or bush that likes those conditions and
your tree will be a healthy one without much fuss. Avoid those that
might grow into your plumbing or produce surface roots. Make a $100
hole for a $20 tree. Now is a good time of year to plant.

Yup, this weekend, we are going to one of the better 'plant places' (not a
big-box, a regular place that does only plants) and select one. It should
for this area, be planted in the next 3 weeks for best effect.

Hours of light, as long as the sun is up. Naturally reasonably watered.
The reason the flowering pear fell over, was it's about a perfect growing
spot so even for a fast growth tree, this one got too big for it's britches.
The tree guy who took it out said i'd easily grow a lovely maple (and
several other sorts) of 100ft there. He said oak, cedar, elm, chestnut,
hawthorn, maple, etc would glomer all over that spot. Dogwood was about the
only thing he said wouldnt be optimal (sob!) as it's got too much sun and
they like partial shade.

I am tossing back and forth ideas now. Looking at dual semi-dwarf apple
trees (so they cross-pollenate) or a redbud. I don't want 'big' and the
worries of it falling in a hurricane. Nor do I want a 'bush' (though it
will take time to get big). I like the idea of one that gives off potential
edibles.