Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Petro Kurt Petro is offline

Default Tree Advice

"cshenk" wrote in message
Hey, with all our collective knowledge, perhaps one of us knows a bit on
trees?

I'd like something that grows about 20-30 ft, and is hardy and stable in
wind storms. I take that to mean slow growing and deep rooted. Apple
maybe? Area is Norfolk, Virginia for growing specs.

BTW, woke up this morning to find my flowering pear (about 35-40ft)
laying across the front of the house. Appears to have only damaged a
gutter. Tree service enroute. Big windstorm sheered it in half.
They'll have to take the rest out I am sure due to the way the trunk is
split to the core about 1 foot up from the ground. Pretty thing but
wasn't a wise choice for this area.

I have a Cleveland Select Flowering Pear. Years ago the city put in the
Bradford Pear for street trees. The Cleveland is a superior tree for
ice/snow & wind, compared to the Bradford. You can see the difference in my
tree & what the city put in. The Bradford's should really be taken down,
they keep breaking. I "assume" you had a Bradford?

Also have 3 Crimson King Maples, these are a very slow growing tree, and I
love the color of them. However, the Crimson doesn't have the vibrant
colors in the fall, like other maples. In fact, they are pretty ugly in the
fall. The Autumn Blaze Maple is a nice looking tree in the fall, but has a
much faster growth than the Crimson. The Sunset Maple is another maple
worth looking at, with fantastic fall color, but may be too large for you.
I have a Silver Maple, which I must take down. These are a very quick
growing tree, but split very easily in high winds and just about under all
conditions. I would not plant another one of these.

I have an American Redbud, which is really nice when in bloom. It's a
choice worth looking at.

Also have a Purple Leaf Plum (none fruit bearing), which I keep pruned
back. These produce a nice colorful bloom in the spring. But, the Japanese
Beetles love the sweet purple leaf. This replaced a Kousa Dogwood, which
died off.

My apple tree...I'm not crazy about, but the deer sure love it. I just took
out a Weeping Cherry (none fruit bearing), which produces a nice colorful
bloom in the spring. It would be a great tree to have, if you can grow it
in a corner or flowerbed. Mowing around it became a real pain. I had it in
my front yard, and always got compliments on it, neighbors thought I was
crazy for cutting it down. But, they didn't have to deal with it.

All my trees were from a 2" to 2-1/2" caliber when planted, except the
Silver Maple which was planted from a seed.