Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k -
what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k -
what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

Call the cops and see if anyone is missing one, first. That is well
below market price. Not slamming Snap-On, mind you- their stuff is built
like a tank, and that matters if you are making a living with it. But,
IMHO, you are paying something for the name and the mystique. As in 'he
has a snap-on kit- he must be a real pro', etc.

I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more. Not
being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is 'good
enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are plastic,
living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room or need for a
roll-around anyway.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k -
what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi,
Because it's name and quality?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more. Not
being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is 'good
enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are plastic,
living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room or need for a
roll-around anyway.

My experience with craftman is that they are worse of a ripoff than any brand in
existance. I've had more craftsman tools break than the cheapest crap I've
bought at k-mart. For the price of a single craftsman socket, I can buy a whole
set at k-mart and they won't crack or fly part under 50 ft-lbs like the
craftsman sockets will.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k -
what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi,
Because it's name and quality?

So I should go get it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more. Not
being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is 'good
enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are plastic,
living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room or need for a
roll-around anyway.

My experience with craftman is that they are worse of a ripoff than any brand in
existance. I've had more craftsman tools break than the cheapest crap I've
bought at k-mart. For the price of a single craftsman socket, I can buy a whole
set at k-mart and they won't crack or fly part under 50 ft-lbs like the
craftsman sockets will.

Hi,
Craftsman was good when it was made by Singer. FWIW, they still honor
life time warranty after your knuckle get hurts, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k -
what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi,
Because it's name and quality?

So I should go get it?

Yes!!!!! I paid close to that just for the smaller top part. Ahhhh,
maybe that is all he is selling for $450? The photo sure makes it look
that way although I only count 12 drawers on the top box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 10:58�pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k -
what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

Some like to show off. They are called "Posers". They have the most
expensive of everything they have. Big motors in their cars and boats,
but don't race. They mostly have harleys with all the chrome goodies
but can't ride for ****. They like to "look the part". Reminds me of
women who have to have all the make-up because they have no natural
beauty, or inner beauty or that matter.

It's not the quality of tools, it's how the mechanic uses it.

Hank ~~~~naturally ugly :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Singer, the sewing machine company?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

I'll note in passing, that for the last several years, Kmart also sells
Craftsman.

Yes, they aren't as good as they used to be, but the walk in and walk
out replacement guarantee (which still applies to the non-powered tools)
is worth something. You do need to buy them in sets, on sale, though.
Their regular set prices, and their single-tool prices, are not good.
There are other good 'house' brands out there, like the Kobalt line at
Lowes (which I understand is made by one of the companies that make or
used to make tools for Sears). Some of the Stanley-branded wrench sets
also seem to be from the same OEM foundries.

But I still say that for the home DIY user, who can't chase all over
town for prestige brands at industrial suppliers, or chase down a roving
truck, Craftsman is still a good compromise solution, and the best way
to start building up a tool library. Just watch the sale flyers, and
when one of the larger sets is on sale for a price you can stand, go for
it. 80-20 rule applies- 80% of your tasks will use the same 20% of the
tools over and over again. If you do have an unusual project that calls
for a special tool, that is when you start searching around.

Now as to the boxes themselves, which started this thread- sure, go look
at the $400 Snap-on. See what shape it is in, and if all the parts are
there, and if all the drawers work smoothly. Make sure all the pieces
are in fact Snap-on. Lots of mechanics have mixed sets, since the sizes
are pretty standard. For people who just need a small box for at home,
use your eyes, hands, and common sense. Does it have sharp edges that
will surprise you, and is the metal stiff enough to not flex fully
loaded? Press down on an open drawer as you slide it closed, and see if
it binds or closes smoothly. Quality versus Junk should be almost
self-evident, just like any other cabinetry or furniture you are buying.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll note in passing, that for the last several years, Kmart also sells
Craftsman.

aem sends...

Perhaps if you had also taken notice that for last several years, Sears has
owned K-Mart....

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Aaron Fude wrote:
So I should go get it?

HTH can we know?

Ya' gotta need for it?

Assuming it isn't as somebody noted "hot" and hasn't been abused, it
would appear to be cheap. That would tend to make one (or at least me
and one other poster, apparently) wonder about the "why" of the sale
unless were estate or similar (although then would seem the logical
thing would be auction)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more. Not
being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is 'good
enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are plastic,
living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room or need for a
roll-around anyway.

My experience with craftman is that they are worse of a ripoff than any brand in
existance. I've had more craftsman tools break than the cheapest crap I've
bought at k-mart. For the price of a single craftsman socket, I can buy a whole
set at k-mart and they won't crack or fly part under 50 ft-lbs like the
craftsman sockets will.

OLD Craftsman stuff was excellent. I have some of my grandfather's
tools and they don't feel like S-K, Proto, Snap-On, etc. but they are
still perfectly serviceable. NEW Craftsman, the main reason to buy it
instead of the cheapest stuff you can find is the lifetime warranty.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

I did 30+ years as a line mechanic on craftsman tools. They are fine.
I broke very few. I used snapon tools for the specialty tools, and had
snap on boxes. Craftsman did not and does not make a box that will hold
up to everyday 30 year use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John H. Holliday wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll note in passing, that for the last several years, Kmart also sells
Craftsman.

aem sends...

Perhaps if you had also taken notice that for last several years, Sears has
owned K-Mart....

I knew that, but I haven't been in a K-mart in years, mostly because I
only know of one within convenient driving distance to me, and it's not
all that convenient. That and Target kicks K-mart's ass, and Target is
way closer (although it's in Seven Corners, so one *has* to drive there
unless one has a death wish)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more. Not
being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is 'good
enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are plastic,
living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room or need for a
roll-around anyway.

My experience with craftman is that they are worse of a ripoff than any brand in
existance. I've had more craftsman tools break than the cheapest crap I've
bought at k-mart. For the price of a single craftsman socket, I can buy a whole
set at k-mart and they won't crack or fly part under 50 ft-lbs like the
craftsman sockets will.

This is pure nonsense. Apparently you've been buying the Sears brand, not the
Craftsman brand. I've done nearly all my own automobile service since I was 18
(I'm in my 50s now), including several engine and transmission rebuilds, and
use almost nothing but Craftsman tools. In more than thirty years, I've had
exactly three Craftsman sockets fail in use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Even the expensive roller bearing ones? I don't have one, mind you (my
roll cabinets were all bought at garage sales, save for the one in the
basement which is bottom of the line Crapsman bought on sale for about
50% off list) but I was curious. The price certainly approaches Snap-On...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

I've found that the sockets to be mostly OK, only broken a few of them,
but I don't like their newer ratchets very much, they seem to gunk up
and stop ratcheting a lot sooner than the older ones did and they are
more difficult to disassemble and clean. Also the Sears stores have
stopped carrying the 1 cent rebuild kits in the stores so now you have
to trade in your old ratchet for a rebuilt one, not so good when you
have a nice 40 year old polished handle ratchet.

I also have twisted the handle off a brand new Torx screwdriver with
only the torque I can apply with my bare hand while attempting to
disassemble an old AFB...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:46:49 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

It was the craftsman brand. After 4 replacements of the same socket, all
unable to handle 40 ft-lbs, I bought a whole set from kmart for the same
price and they had no problem with the torque. This was pre-merer, around
1985. I don't know if craftman was better before that, I'm not sure where
you'd find craftman from the 60's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Obviously they made a bad batch, which you had the bad luck to get hold of. As
Mark Twain once wrote, though, "A body should be careful to take out of an
experience only the lesson that is contained in it, and no more. A cat that
sits on a hot stove will never do so again -- but neither will she ever sit on
a cold one, either." Your mistake is condemning the entire brand line on the
basis of one incident, one time.

The vast majority of my Craftsman tools were bought pre-merger, too -- and
*none* of them "from the 60's" (when I was in grade school) -- not one of mine
is older than about 1976, give or take a year or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Despite all the rabid Craftsman bashing around here, the Craftsman hand
tools do just fine. A good portion of my hand tools are Craftsman and
they have held up just fine for a long time in my relatively heavy duty
home shop environment (full machine shop really). I've not broken any
Craftsman items other then chewing up phillips screwdriver tips and the
occasional regular screwdriver when wrench assisted.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 27, 9:02*am, AZ Nomad wrote:

snip

*After 4 replacements of the same socket, all
unable to handle 40 ft-lbs, I bought a whole set from kmart for the same
price and they had no problem with the torque. *This was pre-me(g)rer, around
1985. *I don't know if craft(s)man was better before that, I'm not sure where
you'd find craft(s)man from the 60's.

It may be you were putting 40 Lb-ft on a 12 point socket applied to a
hex head bolt/nut.. Or maybe a Torx head fastener. Not accepted
practice, and usually commented on in the repair manual from the
manufacturer. When in doubt, use a impact socket.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Joe wrote:
On Sep 27, 9:02=A0am, AZ Nomad wrote:

snip

After 4 replacements of the same socket, all
unable to handle 40 ft-lbs, I bought a whole set from kmart for the same
price and they had no problem with the torque. This was pre-me(g)rer, around
1985. =A0I don't know if craft(s)man was better before that, I'm not sure where
you'd find craft(s)man from the 60's.

It may be you were putting 40 Lb-ft on a 12 point socket applied to a
hex head bolt/nut.. Or maybe a Torx head fastener. Not accepted
practice, and usually commented on in the repair manual from the
manufacturer. When in doubt, use a impact socket.

Pffffft. There's no need to use impact sockets for only 40 foot-pounds,
standard sockets work just fine. There's nothing wrong with using 12-point
sockets at that low a torque, either. What gives you the idea that doing so is
"not accepted practice"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

John H. Holliday wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll note in passing, that for the last several years, Kmart also sells
Craftsman.

aem sends...

Perhaps if you had also taken notice that for last several years, Sears has
owned K-Mart....

More like Kmart bought Sears, and then renamed themselves Sears. Sorta
like SBC bought ATT, and renamed themselves ATT.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

ktos wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote in -
september.org:

Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k -
what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

Because you can't go into every store and buy one. The makers of them want
to rip you off with high prices.

Also, the "Snap-Ons" of the world sell mostly to professionals who can
take the cost of tools as a tax deduction, thus reducing the net cost.
They will deliver on-site, and take trade-ins.

Also it's an image "thing", sort of like Rolex, Prada, Gucci, etc

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"John H. Holliday" wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll note in passing, that for the last several years, Kmart also sells
Craftsman.

aem sends...

Perhaps if you had also taken notice that for last several years, Sears has
owned K-Mart....

Nope. K-Mart owns Sears.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

OLD Craftsman stuff was excellent. I have some of my grandfather's
tools and they don't feel like S-K, Proto, Snap-On, etc. but they are
still perfectly serviceable. NEW Craftsman, the main reason to buy it
instead of the cheapest stuff you can find is the lifetime warranty.

Like my friend says, when you're lying under the car fixing something,
you don't give a rat's ass about a tool warranty, you just want a tool
that isn't broken. I like S-K, and I really like Bonney. Snap-On is
pretty spendy but there are ways to avoid paying retail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Sep 27, 9:02 am, AZ Nomad wrote:

snip

After 4 replacements of the same socket, all
unable to handle 40 ft-lbs, I bought a whole set from kmart for the same
price and they had no problem with the torque. This was pre-me(g)rer, around
1985. I don't know if craft(s)man was better before that, I'm not sure where
you'd find craft(s)man from the 60's.

It may be you were putting 40 Lb-ft on a 12 point socket applied to a
hex head bolt/nut.. Or maybe a Torx head fastener. Not accepted
practice, and usually commented on in the repair manual from the
manufacturer. When in doubt, use a impact socket.

Joe

I agree with doug, hell i can put down 40 ft lbs with a 3/8 ratchet and
one hand. i've used craftsman chrome 6pt sockets exclusively , and have
never owned a set of impact sockets except for my reversible lug nut
socket. And they've all been on the 3/8 drive and 1/2" drive impacts
from time to time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:

Also, the "Snap-Ons" of the world sell mostly to professionals who can
take the cost of tools as a tax deduction, thus reducing the net cost.
They will deliver on-site, and take trade-ins.

Also it's an image "thing", sort of like Rolex, Prada, Gucci, etc

There's another thing that makes Snap on a real easy sell. In addition
to the guy coming around once a week, You can buy several thousand
dollars worth of snap on for $25 a week. Yes, when ever someone would
ask me how much a snap on tool cost, i just say "twenty-five a week". I
spent $25 a week for about 13 years i'd say. Makes it real easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/27/2009 10:19 AM (ET) Pete C. wrote the following:
aemeijers wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

Doesn't Craftsman have a lifetime guaranty on hand tools?.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

OLD Craftsman stuff was excellent. I have some of my grandfather's
tools and they don't feel like S-K, Proto, Snap-On, etc. but they are
still perfectly serviceable. NEW Craftsman, the main reason to buy it
instead of the cheapest stuff you can find is the lifetime warranty.

Like my friend says, when you're lying under the car fixing something,
you don't give a rat's ass about a tool warranty, you just want a tool
that isn't broken. I like S-K, and I really like Bonney. Snap-On is
pretty spendy but there are ways to avoid paying retail.

sure, but when you are on a limited budget and/or need a tool right
away, Crapsman is an option. Some FLAPS sell S-K but you need to know
which ones. Snap-On even bought used is often more expensive than
buying a new tool at Sears or S-K at your FLAPS, and when it's Saturday
and your car is apart, you can't wait for that eBay auction to end.

Now if you have a good pawn shop nearby that hasn't figured out what
Snap-On stuff sells for, you might be OK, but I think most of them are
clued in.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

Doesn't Craftsman have a lifetime guaranty on hand tools?.

YEP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:58:00 -0400, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k -
what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

You are paying fo rthe name "Snap-on." Sure it's good quality but
there are other brands that will serve you for many years. Personally
I would not buy a $3000 tool cabinet for $450, it's just too much. But
hey, if the wife approves go for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John H. Holliday" wrote in message
"aemeijers" wrote in message
wrote:

I'll note in passing, that for the last several years, Kmart also
sells Craftsman.

aem sends...

Perhaps if you had also taken notice that for last several years,
Sears has owned K-Mart....

I think it is the other way around - Kmart bought Sears.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k -
what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

You are paying fo rthe name "Snap-on." Sure it's good quality but
there are other brands that will serve you for many years. Personally
I would not buy a $3000 tool cabinet for $450, it's just too much. But
hey, if the wife approves go for it.

Wait, is that sarcasm or are you saying that $450 is still too much?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k
- what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi,
Because it's name and quality?

So I should go get it?

Depends on your goals.

It's like driving a Prius, only different. Most tools can be carried in a
milk carton.

By owning a Snapon tool box, you show the rest of the mechanics fraternity
you are a serious player in the game. The lay public has no idea about a
SnapOn tool and is indifferent where you keep your stuff.

Again, potential employees and other mechanics will be impressed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 11:41*am, Steve Barker wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

Craftsman wrenches, ratchets & sockets are fine.
I've been using them for years and I cannot recall the last time I
broke a socket & whether it was even a Craftsman.

I've never broken a Craftsman wrench; and I used them in a heavy
structural engineering laboratory for nearly 20 years.

I think Snap-On tools are very nice....I have a Snap-On "short
series" metric combination wrench set, it is a set of finely finished
wrenches that are a pleasure to use.

I was given them as a gift. When I went to set up the laboratory, I
really wanted to go with Snap-On but in 1988 the Snap-On vs Craftsman
cost premium as 5x!

OP- If you really need / want a tool box like the one for
sale...get it. I personally opted for a different storage method &
spent my $'s on the tools.

cheers
Bob

I just couldn't justify the cost so I settled on Craftsman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 15:06:02 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

willshak wrote:

Doesn't Craftsman have a lifetime guaranty on hand tools?.

YEP.

My Craftsman wooden clamp broke. Actually the wooden handle came off
the rod. I took it into Sears and they said "Those are not covered
because that tool has moving parts." That was about 20 years ago
and I have not purchased Craftsman tools since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
[...]

Ive had a couple of Craftsman ratchets go bad and broke a couple of
screwdrivers that I was using for pry bars but that is about it. I did
break a couple of shovels in quick succession once. I took them back
to Sears, The lady who had been running the tool department took a
look at them and said the grain on the handles were running the wrong
way. Checked the rest of the shovels and said they were all bad. She
then pulled them all off the shelf and gave me a fiberglass handled
shovel, no extra charge. I wish I could say the same about their power
tools.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
[...]

The cost gets me too, I can buy a set of Craftsman sockets for the
cost of one or two Snap-On ones. Knock on wood, I haven't had to buy a
new hand tool in a long time..

Jimmie

High Quality Casters For Big, Heavy Toolboxes jon_banquer Metalworking 14 June 20th 09 12:50 AM
Toolboxes - are there *any* good ones out there? [email protected] UK diy 22 October 14th 07 06:08 PM
Old Toolboxes Joseph Durham Woodworking 10 September 14th 06 05:33 AM
gerstner toolboxes-age yourname Metalworking 1 April 18th 06 06:56 AM
Lista toolboxes - 3 different websites jj Metalworking 0 January 5th 06 12:15 AM