Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

Aaron Fude wrote:
Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k -
what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

Call the cops and see if anyone is missing one, first. That is well
below market price. Not slamming Snap-On, mind you- their stuff is built
like a tank, and that matters if you are making a living with it. But,
IMHO, you are paying something for the name and the mystique. As in 'he
has a snap-on kit- he must be a real pro', etc.

I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more. Not
being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is 'good
enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are plastic,
living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room or need for a
roll-around anyway.

--
aem sends...