Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
yourname

Default gerstner toolboxes-age

I bought an old gerstner for my friend[since it were cheap] and bought a
few knobs and a key from gerstner, but I don't feel like paying them
what, 35 bucks to find out EXACTLY how old it is. I mean, i don't sweat
them the money, they actually do some research and will send you a
certificate, but I am just CURIOUS. It is an older leatherette covered
small box[7 drawer] with the roundier style latch[both lock and hasp are
round at the bottom] and the little washers behind the drawer pulls.
From my cursory web search, it looks like the washers are only on the
leatherette ones, or maybe not. My neighbor has a mid 50's larger box
with a more squarish lock assy.

Any ideas?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"yourname" wrote in message
I bought an old gerstner for my friend[since it were cheap] and bought a
few knobs and a key from gerstner, but I don't feel like paying them
what, 35 bucks to find out EXACTLY how old it is. I mean, i don't sweat
them the money, they actually do some research and will send you a
certificate, but I am just CURIOUS. It is an older leatherette covered
small box[7 drawer] with the roundier style latch[both lock and hasp are
round at the bottom] and the little washers behind the drawer pulls.
From my cursory web search, it looks like the washers are only on the
leatherette ones, or maybe not. My neighbor has a mid 50's larger box
with a more squarish lock assy.

Any ideas?

I bought my first Gerstner in '57------and they didn't offer the leather
covered ones by then, or, to say it another way, I don't recall that they
did. My money says it's older than 50 years. Let us know what you find
out.

Oh, yeah. You might enjoy knowing that the first Gerstner was made of
mahogany, and cost a grand total of $75 (new). It was the larger box, which
would accommodate a 24" scale, and the bible in the center.

Harold