Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

Steve Barker wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:20:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more.
Not being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is
'good enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are
plastic, living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room
or need for a roll-around anyway.

My experience with craftman is that they are worse of a ripoff than
any brand in
existance. I've had more craftsman tools break than the cheapest
crap I've
bought at k-mart. For the price of a single craftsman socket, I can
buy a whole
set at k-mart and they won't crack or fly part under 50 ft-lbs like the
craftsman sockets will.

OLD Craftsman stuff was excellent. I have some of my grandfather's
tools and they don't feel like S-K, Proto, Snap-On, etc. but they are
still perfectly serviceable. NEW Craftsman, the main reason to buy it
instead of the cheapest stuff you can find is the lifetime warranty.

nate

I did 30+ years as a line mechanic on craftsman tools. They are fine. I
broke very few. I used snapon tools for the specialty tools, and had
snap on boxes. Craftsman did not and does not make a box that will hold
up to everyday 30 year use.

Even the expensive roller bearing ones? I don't have one, mind you (my
roll cabinets were all bought at garage sales, save for the one in the
basement which is bottom of the line Crapsman bought on sale for about
50% off list) but I was curious. The price certainly approaches Snap-On...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel