Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

In article , Joe wrote:
On Sep 27, 9:02=A0am, AZ Nomad wrote:

snip

After 4 replacements of the same socket, all
unable to handle 40 ft-lbs, I bought a whole set from kmart for the same
price and they had no problem with the torque. This was pre-me(g)rer, around
1985. =A0I don't know if craft(s)man was better before that, I'm not sure where
you'd find craft(s)man from the 60's.

It may be you were putting 40 Lb-ft on a 12 point socket applied to a
hex head bolt/nut.. Or maybe a Torx head fastener. Not accepted
practice, and usually commented on in the repair manual from the
manufacturer. When in doubt, use a impact socket.

Pffffft. There's no need to use impact sockets for only 40 foot-pounds,
standard sockets work just fine. There's nothing wrong with using 12-point
sockets at that low a torque, either. What gives you the idea that doing so is
"not accepted practice"?